Mustang Evolution Forum banner

A much better GT is just sitting on the shelf at Ford.

5K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear Ford,
You have an engine that is ready, willing and waiting to be put in the Mustang GT, the Raptor's 3.5 liter dual turbo V6. At 450 HP and 510 (!!) lb/ft of torque, it would embarrass even the new 2018 Mustang's 5.0. The new Raptor is faster than the old 6.2 liter V8 (!!) by a LOT -- and lighter and better handling as well.
Ford, you were willing to risk making this engine the top of the line in your money-making F150 line over the previously offered V8's. And now 75% of all new F150's sold (and 100% of your king of the hill Raptors) are EcoBoost V6's. Heck, even your $450,000 Ford GT has this engine....but I am not even asking for the 600 HP version that one has.....OK, that would be cool in the Shelby.....
PLEASE put this engine in the Mustang. We NEED this engine in the Mustang......and again -- this Mustang would be lighter (much less weight over the front wheels), better handling, better MPG (when we are able to stay out of the BOOST!) and:

510 lb/ft of TORQUE!!!!

Please?

#5 ·
I'll admit that I ALWAYS put the top down in the garage before I start the car so that I can hear the 5.0 light off......and put it in second gear in a couple of tunnels in town and do a full throttle blast just to hear it....................however -- think of this:
The 5.0's torque peak is WAY up there at 4,700 rpm. It is and always has been a high winding engine to get the most out of it.
Now, think about 510 lb/ft of torque ALL AVAILABLE AT ONLY 2,100 RPM.....:eek:

I too love the 5.0, but I have also driven the 3.5 EcoBoost many miles in my old F-150, and it is a FUN engine, with a character completely different (and LOTS faster) than the 5.0. And in a truck, take my word for it, it is a towing monster. I passed every V8 on every hill towing a nearly 9,000 pound travel trailer.
When those turbos spool up and the torque peak hits at 2,100 rpm, the thing just pulls you toward the horizon in a way that waiting for the 5.0 torque just does NOT do.
I really think that one drive in a Raptor engined Mustang GT would be a real convincer to many (OK maybe not all) 5.0 devotees.

#6 ·
I have been dealing with boosted cars for years, and that 3.5 EB will rape the 5.0 sideways. I know the v6 makes power, and i know it is faster, and i know it will always be faster, but i'm kind of with the whole "sound" argument.
I dont think i'd be upset if they put it in there, i dont think a mustang only needs a v8 (especially after whooping up on 2vs and 3vs in my wife's 3.7 ...) but i do love that high revving 5.0 wail.

#12 · (Edited)
The old school guys will only want a v8 but there is a lot of appeal to the 3.5 in the mustang with the 10spd auto behind it. Add in a tune from a company like livernois (+70hp/90tq@peak) you'll have one bad *** mustang without anymore than a tune.

#17 ·
Its only a matter of time IMO. There will probably be optional 5.0 for the first few years and you'll get some asking "oh did you get a free purse with that V6?" and then they'll line up and get gapped like crazy by the 6.

Better power, better mileage, better drivability etc... sign me up. 6 cyls don't sound terrible and the turbos make up for it anyway.

#26 ·
I disagree......there is much more modification done to the Raptor (and, it is somewhat limited edition) over the standard bodied F-150 to justify the bigger price increase. The wider body, the Fox reservoir shocks etc.....none of which would have to be done to the Mustang to drop the 3.5 Eco into it.
As a matter of fact. I think it is possible that there could be a price decrease -- unlikely, I know....Ford now has many years experience manufacturing the 3.5, and has it down to a science.
You doubters need to go drive one......the 3.5 Eco in all its derivations is a monster of an engine, with an immediate, immense and flat torque curve all the way to redline......no waiting for a 4,700 rpm torque arrival.
It would transform the Mustang, and embarrass the special editions of all Camaro's.

#27 ·
Very interesting thread.
I've been driving my 3.6l twin turbo for almost a year now and although now on the second motor I can say it's a real pleasure to drive. It handles as good as my old 14 TrakPak did and could and has shown it's tail lights to a few cars. The ride is incredible and having 4 doors and actual room for 4 people is really nice and 464hp @ 5800 and 445lbft @ 3500 is great...with that said I bought my first 1965 Mustang convertible in 1972 and have had a number of them...although never with a six cylinder...kind of like in my younger days you'd never be caught with 2 two many doors. Now that I'm older than 90% of the people on this forum I can say a V6 that makes that kind of power...as long as it is reliable...is just fine with me. The sound really doesn't bother me as my 3.6l doesn't sound like your normal 6 and even my Mini with aftermarket exhaust sounds great, not too loud but not like a Honda with some soup can on the exhaust tip.
Personally I think the Raptor is overpriced for what it is and what I bought a pickup for was to haul stuff and pull a big trailer so why would anyone settle for 500lbft of torque when you can buy a 6 cylinder Cummings with over 800lbft of torque and 660lbft of torque at 1500rpm. If you want a toy truck to run around in I guess that's great if you've got $60k+. So, in the real world this is what a Raptor can do:

2017 FORD RAPTOR SUPER CAB

Maximum payload weight: 1,000 lbs

Maximum trailer weight: 6,000 lbs (with a weight distributing hitch, see table below).

GCWR: 12,000 lbs

2017 FORD RAPTOR SUPER CREW CAB

Maximum payload weight: 1,200 lbs

Maximum trailer weight: 8,000 lbs (with a weight distributing hitch, see table below).

GCWR: 14,250 lbs

What does this mean in the real world? If you have a 2017 Raptor Super Crew, and you are towing an 8,000 lbs trailer (with 800 lbs of tongue weight), then you can add up to 400 lbs of weight (people and/or cargo). All together, truck + trailer + people + cargo cannot exceed the GCWR, which is 14,250 lbs for the Raptor crew cab.

#30 ·
I want a 3 cyl diesel in my next Stang.

side note: on Holiday last two weeks and had a VW Tiguan 4 cyl Turbo for a rental. It will do Autobahn (sp?) speeds at 8000 feet of elevation. Nice smaller SUV but I'm not a fan of German part/service prices.
Why there are like 9,000 real cheap BMWs on CL every day lol. Can pick up like a 2007 7 series that looks near new for $4k but you KNOW there is a ****ton of required maintenance due on it.

#32 ·
The all electric Tesla sports cars are actually SCARY fast. Instant torque, no AF ratios, no fuel system. Just floor it and boom.

#36 ·
The Tesla Racing Channel guy is pretty successful at grudge racing his car. Although he seems to pick his races fairly carefully.
I've never seen a video of that car at a half or full mile event though... Likely, because it would get walked by every boosted Honda in attendance, after the quarter mile mark.

#38 ·
The sound of the 5.0 is the most unique and awesome sound. 500hp is more than enough juice, unless you're at the track. Where I live at least guys get cars impounded for speeding non stop.

I got away from mustangs when they went to the 4.6, because of the sound. Many would say it's the signature of the Mustang. Rip it through a tunnel and the peepee goes up. A v6 won't do that, regardless of how fast you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#45 ·
Volt, I owned a Pontiac Grand Prix GTS for years. That engine would run forever. It also responded well to modifications. I have nothing against a gas powered V6. I just do not personally see a place for them in a full sized truck, or a Muscle / Pony Car.

My brother owns a 2014 Mustang sixer with the performance package. It is extremely nice. The car is also quick, but for me, I prefer the rumble of a V8 in an American performance car. The exception goes to the V10 Viper.

#47 ·
I've had 3 cars now with the "regular" 3.5L Ecoboost, and I can tell you the power and delivery is very nice. (2012 F150, 2015 F150, and 2017 Explorer) I can only imagine how the high output 3.5L Ecoboost versions would feel.

What Mustang needs also though (from rest of Ford's technology piggy bank) is more aluminum / CF composite materials, to lighten it. Going from the 2015 F150 (aluminum body) to a 2017 Explorer, my MPG's dropped significantly.

#48 ·
What kind of output levels do they offer for the Explorer's these days? That's a great power plant level for that size of SUV. I will say that I'm surprised the trucks are lighter. I would have never guessed that, but I guess there is a lot more cabin area that probably accounts to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.