Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2017 GT PP

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  GoFast27 
#1 ·
Heyya

Wanted to get some opinions on what to mod first.
I just recently got a 2017 GT with the performance package; 6k miles on it and of course 3yr/36,000 mile warranty.

I convinced myself to do:
CAI>Exhaust>Tune or
CAI>Throttle Body>Intake Manifold>Exhaust>tune

I see Steeda has there tunes on sale for black Friday and I'm getting anxious for a little more power even though everything is stock.

I had BAMA tunes before on my 2010 GT and I don't think I'll be ever doing business with them again. I was thinking since Im stock right now a beginner tune from Steeda might not be a bad idea. Down the road when all my mods are done I'll be getting a VMP or Lund tune.

Should I go for the Steeda tune right now since its cheaper than usual? Or wait, save money and just start on the mods. Also weary about warranty and if anything goes wrong dealing with that situation even though there's a low chance of that happening.

Any advice is appreciated!

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for mentioning that. Totally forgot about the one for powertrain. Sounds more and more like the safest best is using ford aftermarket parts and having them install so I get the best of both worlds. Once the warranty is gone down the road it?s fair game

#5 ·
Normally i am not going to recommend a factory "power pack," but most of the easy gains on a 5.0 used to be cat delete and a tune. The new integrated cat / header has made that option a little more tricky... Ford's power pack 2 and 3 arent exactly cheap, but considering the punch they pack while keeping your warranty in tact, i'd highly recommend checking them out.

A tune will void your warranty. Do you want to do that on a new car? If so go with one from either AED, Lund, or VMP. Forget Bama or Steeda. And skip the CAI and throttle body.
This. The mod game is pretty tricky on the gen 2+ 5.0s because you either have to add long tubes or ... it's pretty much worth just leaving it stock.

#6 ·
That?s exactly what I was looking to get. The power pack 3 seems like a great deal and way to get some extra horses. It?s emissions legal too so that?s dope. I?ve heard mixed reviews about the Pro cal tune. Really not sure how to pick between VMP and Lund.

#8 ·
If you install one of the Ford tunes you still get your warranty on your powertrain reduced from 5/60 down to 3/36.

The power pack 3 is not a good option for a street car with a redline in excess of 8000 rpm. You lose some significant torque with it.

#9 ·
Thank you for the knowledge on that. Much appreciated.

Sounds like the Power Pack 2 makes the most sense? I?m trying to make of list of what mods I should knock out.

So far the exhaust winner for me is the Corsa sport catback with the double helix x pipe, one of the powe packs, and then a lot of goodies for appearance.. not really gonna go crazy on performance stuff. Just CAI, exhaust , and tune unless you guys can think of anything else.

Maybe a Roush stage 1 kit a few years from now....

#11 ·
Top 2 picks: Ford Power Pack 2 and Borla cat back exhaust.

Gives you more power, and more sound, with out going too crazy. (too loud or voiding your warranty completely)

Next after that would be to get a good set of aftermarket wheels & tires. Make sure you check the weights and you're reducing weight. I see so many people just go buy some big 20" wheels that are heavier than stock, and then when the car performs worse they wonder why. If you get a quality set of wheels, you can reduce the unsprung/rotational weight by about 32 lbs (8 lbs per wheel/tire) and it will make a significant improvement in performance and ride quality. The tires will grip better if you get a better compound tire. The lighter wheel will handle bumps better, they spin/accelerate/brake more freely.

Don't skimp when it comes to tires/wheels, they are probably one of the most important pieces of the performance "puzzle". And often the weakest link for performance on a stock car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.