Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Looking at an 18 GT, any tunes available yet?

7K views 71 replies 15 participants last post by  FastFord19 
#1 ·
Looking at a possible 18 GT this spring/summer, but don't see anyone tuning these for the masses yet?
Is it still more or less in devolpment, and if they are available who to go with and what kind of numbers are we looking at for the gen 3 Coyote?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+

#49 ·
I'm curious as to why Ford would allow this kind of HP to be made. Can't they lock the cars computer so no one can interface with it? Why buy a GT350 when you can by a GT that makes 500 to the wheels? Or did it really make this lofty HP number? Cutting into their own profits no?

#54 ·
From my perspective, E85 tunes aren't realistic for someone that wants a generally streetable car in many states. I'm up in the Northeast. Good luck finding E85. Heck, good luck finding any flex fuel.

It's simple in practice how they are getting the extra HP. Back in the day...we would put in octane booster or "race fuel" (105+ octane) or both (if you didn't really care about your engine holding together) and then loosen up the distributor and advance the timing. Bamo...more power. Nowadays you use a fuel with a lot of ethanol in it to reduce the risk of knock and get a cooler burn and simply advance the timing via a tune. Bamo...more power.

However, E85's stoichiometric ratio is lower so you burn about 20% more fuel (look it up...it's not rocket science, but it is chemistry). So, even if you can get the fuel and it costs less per gallon, you are going to reduce your fuel economy by at least 20% and therefore it's going to cost more due to its difference in molar mass versus standard gasoline (E85 is less dense so you need more of it...again a reason to have paid attention in chemistry in high school).

So, the fact it's often hard to find, and the fact it's going to reduce fuel economy by 1/5...it's really not a true streetable alternative.....ie/ you can't expect to have that 500hp all the time as you tool around town in most instances because you can't maintain that tune on gasoline and won't be able to find pumps that dispense it.

Now.....if you've got a hand tuner and can switch tunes at the drags (pump gas driving to and from the strip....E85 while running at the strip), then you can always find 105+ octane at the strip and put 1/4 to 1/2 a tank in before you run (get there on an almost empty tank and drive home on a little of the good stuff). Then I can easily see getting an E85 tune to use at the strip!

#58 · (Edited)
Really the only thing that makes the GT350 incredible is it's flat plained 5.2, which in it's own right reason enough.
Magnaride is now available on the 18s which is one of the main reasons that made the gt350 an amazing track car.
With direct injection, 10 speed auto's and magnaride the 18s have really closed the gap with the 350.

#60 · (Edited)
Really the only thing that makes the GT350 incredible is it's flat plained 5.2, which in it's own right reason enough.
Magnaride is now available on the 18s which is one of the main reasons that made the gt350 an amazing track car.
With direct injection, 10 speed auto's and magnaride the 18s have really closed the gap with the 350.
I agree...but those cars that Lebanon Ford are selling for $39.9k are *base* model Mustang GT's. Ask them to put a Whipple on a GT Premium with upgraded suspension, tires, interior, brakes, etc....and you might as well simply buy a GT350 if that's what you were aiming for in the beginning before seeing their offer ( This link gives the price from Ford for the car that *may* be somewhat comparable to a similarly equipped GT350..without the supercharger to get the power... and it's $50,000 https://shop.ford.com/build/mustang...A.P8C.....COU.MST.44U.~YZKAA.GT.PRE.96B.19B.] ).

However, I will repeat...I think having any Mustang with 800HP is cool. I'm not hating on the Lebanon Ford offer...just pointing out to the OP that they aren't the same car as a GT350 and to make it almost equivalent is $$$$'s more.

#64 ·
Not needed tbth. The 350 will assrape a Lebanon 800hp car around a circle track. I've seen cars making literally hundreds of hp less than the car they were next to run faster times at the track. Hell, the fastest Eaton Termis are only mid 500hp and they run 9s.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.