Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Looking at an 18 GT, any tunes available yet?

7K views 71 replies 15 participants last post by  FastFord19 
#1 ·
Looking at a possible 18 GT this spring/summer, but don't see anyone tuning these for the masses yet?
Is it still more or less in devolpment, and if they are available who to go with and what kind of numbers are we looking at for the gen 3 Coyote?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+

#7 ·
Direct injection is a hell of a drug... What are they getting on 93 octane tunes?

And I'm kinda being lazy asking this but how is this new DI Coyote stacking up against the LT1?

#16 ·
Well, then, let's see some dyno graphs with long tubes and CAI, adding 115 HP.

#17 ·
They make around 420+ stock.
So that would be 80ish with tune/longtubes/e85 and cai. Simple math.

You have a phone. Use Google.

John lund and evolution performance were the first to post 501I believe,........ ...... LAST YEAR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#18 ·
500 WHEEL HORSEPOWER, BRO.
That's 575 CRANK horsepower.
You REALLY think those mods can net 115 HP?

I can 460 crank increasing to 500 crank with those mods...but 500 WHEEL? No way.

#21 · (Edited)
Well I stand corrected then.

Might be time for me to get a 2018, because that's ****ing ridiculous!

#22 · (Edited)
Lol at this thread... Google took me all of 5 seconds to find 3 or 4 articles. Here is one.

Bolt-On, Naturally Aspirated 2018 Mustang Blasts Out Over 500 Rear-Wheel Horsepower!

Lol that's the same one Rap posted... Great Google-Fu thinks alike...

And even if this dyno is "generous"... timeslips don't lie. Bone *** stock 2018s are running 11s off the showroom floor, basic tune is well into the 11s. 10 speed auto, some basic suspension, exhaust, good tires and a good track in the fall? Who knows. Probably 10s.

#23 ·
What blows my mind is how the new autos are putting down bigger #'s vs the manuals.

Yes there happens to be a few of them in the 10's already with boltons

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

If I didn't have more money laying around in boxes for my SN I would be getting one. Base 18's are about 31 Here. Which is only 3k more then I had paid for my base 12

#26 ·
Looking at my old zip code in NJ and the base model sticks are $31k, base model autos $33k. Would be a similar or better price on the overseas car buying lots tbth.

Wonder when/if Ford will come out with a harness/fuel kit for putting a 2018+ Coyote into older cars?

#31 ·
From what I've seen the gains aren't big with 91/93, that's why all the tuners are hyping the e85 tunes and gains.

#29 · (Edited)
#32 ·
I hear all you guys talk about e85, 91 and 93 tunes. I'm still new to all this and still learning. What exactly does that mean? I have a completely stock 2013 Boss 302 with the exception of a K&N box filter and all I use is ethynol free 93 octane fuel, does that quallify as a 93 tune? Also, would I actually gain 40 HP or more just by changing to a new CAI? Isn't mine considered a stock CAI? Then I hear you guys talking about a tune after you add on a new CAI system so you have 5-700 bucks or more in a CAI and additional tuner? I had to purchase a Pro-Cal tuner from SVT for $689 to activate my Trackey, does that qualify as the tuner I would need to tune as I made add on changes like a new CAI and other ones? I don't want to make any changes until I really know what it it entails. Thanks and looking forward to hearing your replies.

#40 ·
1. Given the option, i would use E10 93. It's cheaper, has a very marginal impact on MPG, and i believe is better for performance - That's a discussion for another thread though.

1.5. Yes, if you're running 93 octane, of any sort, that would count as a 93 tune.

2. The wording is misleading. A lot of tuners will claim massive CURVE gains, meaning the most horsepower it picked up at any given point, not PEAK gains which would be an increase in max quoted numbers.

3. Here it gets tricky. Yes, the Ford system is ducted for cool air, and is actually a decent shape for airflow. I've done testing where the airbox will actually become a vacuum zone (meaning the engine is still having to work to pull air) at WOT, but in the real world the gains are negligible. I believe adding a CAI is good for aiding throttle response and a good platform for other mods, but in and of itself i would not expect greatness. Again, another discussion for another thread (please dont start a new thread, there are hundreds on the topic already).

4. Certain CAIs require tunes, certain do not. If the MAF diameter changes with the new intake, a tune is 100% required because MAF diameter is a critical component in fuel calculation. So yes, in some cases you will need to purchase a tuner for your CAI.

5. I'm not certain that other company's (SCT, Diablo, HP tuners, etc...) tune files can be written to the Ford Procal. If you're wanting a tune from an aftermarket company, AED, Lund, VMP, etc... you will need to contact them and see what their preferred tuning device is.

A lot of these topics are covered in depth on this forum, but i understand the search feature is a bit hard to use. Not all of the information will be Boss Specific either, so you will have to interpolate a bit.
For the best results, go to google, type your question and then follow it with mustangevolution

For example, Boss CAI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bos...ZAhVJRqwKHUN1AfQQrQIIQigEMAA&biw=1920&bih=974

#36 ·
How much are the sticks putting down? Seems the auto is definitely where its at now power wise but still curious. Also have they freaking fixed the MT82 yet?

#37 · (Edited)
On the 1/4 track the 10r80 is where it shines, but on the street it's getting a ton of mixed reviews. It comes off as a very clumsy transmission that can't quite decide what gear it wants to use.
My MT 82 has been golden over the last 6 years, and a manual on the 18 is the only option.
1/4 mile get the auto, everything else get the manual.
But to answer your question yes the MT 82 was also improved on the 18.

#38 ·
I can imagine with 10 gears its constantly going to be changing gears for optimal fuel mileage...

#39 · (Edited)
Check out some reviews of it on you tube as a daily, they are generally not very kind, a good 7 out of 10 say get the manual.
I'm sure over time software updates will help.
Our 14 Fusion has similar gear searching issues, even after multiple updates and even a complete reset and relearn process it's still clumsy with odd shift points.

Our 16 Edge AWD with only 18k on it had to have a complete reset and relearn after it's drive to Florida in November, by the time we got there it was shifting so bad I was certain it wasn't going to make it back to Montreal, it made it but it wasn't pleasant.

#45 ·
Lmao 800hp with a 3/36 warranty available for extra $1k. I wonder if that is on 93 octane...

#47 · (Edited)
Roush offers 727hp with a warranty for 995.

Is that for the 2017? The 727hp unit was only a 12 mo warranty. The Phase 1 at 680 was a full 3/36. Looks like this 2018 warranty direct from Ford is also a 3/36 at 800hp. That's just nuts. Hopefully they also beef up the driveline to handle that power... I know the stock Coyote clutch is pretty good but 800hp on any clutch is a lot. I can see a lot of MagnumXL/RXT swapouts for these cars tbth.

Although you can get a base model stick shift for $31k out the door... Minor mods make the power shown from various sources in this thread. You really need more than 500 to the wheels and 10 second timeslips on the street? I'd personally rather the 500hp NA car and get a few upgrades like leather and bigger brakes and then modify it as I see fit vs a base model with a supercharger slapped on. Although it is awesome. Maybe I'm just talking out of my ***. Probably...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.