For all you 2015 enthusiasts: Here's the ecobost 2.4L engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
For all you 2015 enthusiasts: Here's the ecobost 2.4L engine

I just went to this international car show and saw this 4 banger ecoboost engine/prototype next to 2015 mustang. Its got 3 heads on one side and 1 on the other - I guess that's the inline configuration? Lol idk I'm bit of a noob at this.

But yeah personally speaking, I didn't like 2015 model. Ford ruined the 'muscle car' concept; it looks more like a mustang-fusion hybrid. I'm super glad I have the 2014 model, loving it even more. There will be people who would like the new look, just not me. I know somewhere down the line I'm gonna get a GT and I'm more than certain it be 13-14 model. Unless there's an after market from fascia/different headlight trim available to modify the current look of 2015 generation lol

Anyways, enjoy the pictures of this new 4 banger

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396306495525.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	152470   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396306513897.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	152472  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1396306530432.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	152473   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396306550473.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	152474  

bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Not sure about the looks yet. What appealed to me for the 2015 was the loss in weight. 200 to 300 lbs I think. But I couldn't wait til Oct so I took advantage of the $3000 rebate and ordered a '14. Hopefully I'll get it by the end of May.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Not sure about the looks yet. What appealed to me for the 2015 was the loss in weight. 200 to 300 lbs I think. But I couldn't wait til Oct so I took advantage of the $3000 rebate and ordered a '14. Hopefully I'll get it by the end of May.
Trust me bro you won't be disappointed with your 14!! Weight and all sorts of other performance upgrades don't really matter too much if you're mainly a street/daily driver.. Who likes to have fun once ina while n here n there. Our current generation mustangs are awesome all-round cars. Give em basic bolt ons and they will be ready to push you back in your seat

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Trust me bro you won't be disappointed with your 14!! Weight and all sorts of other performance upgrades don't really matter too much if you're mainly a street/daily driver.. Who likes to have fun once ina while n here n there. Our current generation mustangs are awesome all-round cars. Give em basic bolt ons and they will be ready to push you back in your seat

|| BlackOnBlack ||
+1

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Have been really interested in seeing what the 4 banger produces for HP/Torque and the supposedly impressive MPG that it's suppose to deliver.

I pulled the trigger and purchased my first Mustang just one week ago today and even though I really love the interior design in the 15' models, the exterior of the 11'-14' looks much more "muscle car" to me as well.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Stang View Post
Have been really interested in seeing what the 4 banger produces for HP/Torque and the supposedly impressive MPG that it's suppose to deliver.

I pulled the trigger and purchased my first Mustang just one week ago today and even though I really love the interior design in the 15' models, the exterior of the 11'-14' looks much more "muscle car" to me as well.
4 bangers are rumored to make 305hp and 300 torque. I believe they would make 34-35mpg on hwy and around 24ish in city.. More like a corolla loll

Interior is awesome with all the new features, specially those switches under the stereo.. More like gt50. But the exterior just doesn't makes the cut for me. If that's fords idea to get into European market, they definitely have slaughtered the class of a 'mustang' with 2015 design.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, 300 on the torque is impressive, basically the 4 bangers will be the new "v6" for specs, even slightly better from what you're saying.

Really curious what the new V6 will be putting out for numbers to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, I'm right there with you on the styling aspect but interior and performance seem to be there, if the exterior (more specifically the front end) is the only knock I have, I may just have to give the new 15's a looks a year or two from now.

I watch a detailed review video (don't remember where from) and was completely sold. They styled it after a fighter jet, hence the switches and knobs etc.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, 300 on the torque is impressive, basically the 4 bangers will be the new "v6" for specs, even slightly better from what you're saying.

Really curious what the new V6 will be putting out for numbers to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, I'm right there with you on the styling aspect but interior and performance seem to be there, if the exterior (more specifically the front end) is the only knock I have, I may just have to give the new 15's a looks a year or two from now.

I watch a detailed review video (don't remember where from) and was completely sold. They styled it after a fighter jet, hence the switches and knobs etc.
300 torque is sick!! It for sure is going to be up there with v6 specs but I doubt if it would have a little bit grumble of a sixer?

I heard they have slightly detuned the current 3.7 to 300hp/270torque. It waits to be seen if its just 'on paper' as a marketing strategy or actual numbers. I was honestly hoping a bump in its power though, may be like 335hp/300torque or an inline V6.

Don't get me wrong, I completely love everything about the new 2015 'except' the front fascia/headlight trim. As I posted above, if there's an aftermarket medication comes out for this area, I'd readily jump on a new 5.0.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, you almost wonder if the v6 with be phased out over the next couple iterations. Yes, I know, that may sound crazy but I've done some reading (only light though) on the efficiency designs of different engines sizes and it seems that various 4 and 8 cylinders are some of the most efficiently laid out designs.

From what I have read, 6's in general are actually not that great. That's why there are a lot of turbo-charged 4 bangers over seas, and apparently more manufactures are going that route.

As you mentioned just now with the rumored stats of a properly engineered 4 banger can produce the same HP while increasing fuel economy as a 6.

All my opinions but if the new 6's truly are on par with the new 4's I can't imagine the 6's will sell that well.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Almost forgot your point about the sound.

Yeah, I don't know how good a 4 will sound but if they overhaul the entire exhaust system from the moment of air intake it might sound good. Weather it sounds like a muscle car will be the real question though.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm, you almost wonder if the v6 with be phased out over the next couple iterations. Yes, I know, that may sound crazy but I've done some reading (only light though) on the efficiency designs of different engines sizes and it seems that various 4 and 8 cylinders are some of the most efficiently laid out designs.

From what I have read, 6's in general are actually not that great. That's why there are a lot of turbo-charged 4 bangers over seas, and apparently more manufactures are going that route.

As you mentioned just now with the rumored stats of a properly engineered 4 banger can produce the same HP while increasing fuel economy as a 6.

All my opinions but if the new 6's truly are on par with the new 4's I can't imagine the 6's will sell that well.
+1. I wonder if the 6 cylinder would only be limited to forced induction enthusiasts? Cuz if you're just looking to add basic bolt ons without going too over the board, I guess 4 cylinder turbo would be a perfect platform with 300lb/ft of torque from factory.

Butttt, I won't be surprised if car manufacturers would start dumping out v8s for turbo v6s to get better milage.. While shaving off a few lbs.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You described exactly why I went with the v6 over a v8 for my stang. I want performance above all other things, but with my driving style I don't race too often. Maybe 0-75 (freeway speeds around here) as fast as I can but that's about it. Once cruising I need the MPG benefit of the 6.

I don't know if they will drop v8's all together based on the engineering aspect I was talking about earlier but really, if they can keep squeezing out more HP and MPG the v8 crowed may no longer be the majority of mustang buyers and soon be a niche market.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I've read that the new 4 cylinder turbo puts out 315 HP, and will be sold as a "premium package" , along side the 5.0, making our 3.7 V6 the base package offering.

With the weight reduction of the engine and new body, that setup (4 cylinder turbo) is going to make for a screamer.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
But yeah personally speaking, I didn't like 2015 model. Ford ruined the 'muscle car' concept; it looks more like a mustang-fusion hybrid. ||
I am with you on that...

I just got my 14 mustang a week ago and i love the look of it.

Looking at the pictures of the new one i was ok with the front of the car but the back sucks really bad to me. Its small and looks weird compared to current Mustang.

I went ahead and got a $31,000MSRP v6 premium for 23900 ... Thanks 2015 mustang because i know if it wasnt for you no way id get a price like that.

Quote:

Once again i agree with you as well 100% . I love the interior of the 2015 and push to start would have been nice (very surprised push to start was not included in a 2014 premium package)...

But 2015 exterior just looks too girly/small for me.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
I am with you on that...

I just got my 14 mustang a week ago and i love the look of it.

Looking at the pictures of the new one i was ok with the front of the car but the back sucks really bad to me. Its small and looks weird compared to current Mustang.

I went ahead and got a $31,000MSRP v6 premium for 23900 ... Thanks 2015 mustang because i know if it wasnt for you no way id get a price like that.

Once again i agree with you as well 100% . I love the interior of the 2015 and push to start would have been nice (very surprised push to start was not included in a 2014 premium package)...

But 2015 exterior just looks too girly/small for me.
First of all, nice negotiating skills! 31K down to 23.9K

Didn't even think of the push-to-start option, I really only think of higher end cars with that feature but just like you said, when you start looking at the premium versions and you're in the 30K+ range, you should/might see it. Especially with the interior overhaul and the focus on knobs and buttons, push-to-start just seems....logical at that point.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Muscle =/= Retro

Said it before, will say it again. The Mustang need not be retro styled for the rest of its life. The SN197 had a great run. Ford knows not to let the retro-theme get stale.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think with time the newer look might grow on me, I know when the 2005 models started rolling out it was a massive change but suddenly, a few years after release I thought there were awesome.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Muscle =/= Retro

Said it before, will say it again. The Mustang need not be retro styled for the rest of its life. The SN197 had a great run. Ford knows not to let the retro-theme get stale.
^ this. The mustang keeps changing and some people will like it and others won't. Personally, I didn't like any mustang between 1979 and 2004. The aesthetic looks to me are not my cup of tea at all. It doesn't mean that people don't have nice versions of them, it's just that when I think of the term "muscle car" I think of the early version up until 1978 and then 2005 when Ford brought back the meat and potatoes to the car design (in my opinion).

I'll probably get flamed for some of that, but it's my personal opinion, you can agree or not, but that's just what I like. Thank God Ford added some muscle to the design in 2005 or I never would have considered my 2013.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

^ This. You'll never please everyone, but if you can please enough in order to sell and profit, then you did well.

I think the 2015 Mustang is going to do just that; sell well enough for Ford to profit on it.

And there will be plenty of earlier Mustangs around for those that prefer them to stay in those rides for a long, long time.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
^ this. The mustang keeps changing and some people will like it and others won't. Personally, I didn't like any mustang between 1979 and 2004. The aesthetic looks to me are not my cup of tea at all. It doesn't mean that people don't have nice versions of them, it's just that when I think of the term "muscle car" I think of the early version up until 1978 and then 2005 when Ford brought back the meat and potatoes to the car design (in my opinion).

I'll probably get flamed for some of that, but it's my personal opinion, you can agree or not, but that's just what I like. Thank God Ford added some muscle to the design in 2005 or I never would have considered my 2013.
For me it was 64-1/2-73 and then the NewEdge Mach 1s 2003/04, and then it was Yahoo, the 2005+ were back to 67-69 again !

The 74-79 Pintos didn't get with me. But I do like a few 1984 Four-Eye Fox fastbacks.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
While the looks are different Im sure once they come out they will grow on everyone. It always happens when a new body style comes out. The question I would have is how the pricing will be. If the V6 currently makes 305 HP and gets around 22/29 MPG. I couldn't imagine paying a premium for a turbo 4 that makes around ~320 and gets 25/34. And if the price goes to high it would start getting into GT territory, and if people are willing to pay more I doubt they will be that concerned with MPG's within a reasonable limit.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
While the looks are different Im sure once they come out they will grow on everyone. It always happens when a new body style comes out. The question I would have is how the pricing will be. If the V6 currently makes 305 HP and gets around 22/29 MPG. I couldn't imagine paying a premium for a turbo 4 that makes around ~320 and gets 25/34. And if the price goes to high it would start getting into GT territory, and if people are willing to pay more I doubt they will be that concerned with MPG's within a reasonable limit.
The driving force for the turbo 4 cylinder was the European market. They love their 4 cylinder engines. Merdedes, BMW, Audi, and others have been building and selling 4 cylinder models for years with great sales success. For Ford or any other manufacturer to punch into that market, a 4 cylinder Mustang is going to be a great choice to do it with. And at 315 plus HP, it will be a great success I predict. And why not sell them here as well?

I predict there will be a huge fan base of these 4 cylinder turbos in the states. With being lighter, and the ability to wind up faster, we V6 fans are going to need to watch our mirrors very closely.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I personally like the look of the 2015 and I think a lot of the future mustang owners that are young now will like them. With almost all cars switching to more modern looking designs to please the next generation of car buyers, the mustang will be no exception.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)