2015 ecoBoost...the fact no one is talking about. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Or just put the 3.5 ecoboost engine in the 15s that will be a big game changer, Also keep the 3.7 as a option, they are rumors that the 3.5 ecoboost engine is going in the new raptors which means more horsepower then the 6.2, I think they need to use that motor in the new mustangs

Sent from my XT907 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That's not a rumor. It's confirmed.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Working at a Ford dealership I get to see all the problem child ford's come though the shop. So far no issues with the 2.3L ecoboost in the Mustang. It's the 3.5L in the Explorer and F150 I've seen have the most issues. There is a tsb out for the 3.5L in the F150. Stretched timing changes right at 60k. Even have to had replace turbos and one truck even needed a new motor at 61k. Really turned me off to ecoboost motors. I'll take a 3.7L V6 or a coyote motor any day. Or the good old 2V motors.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
More power isn't what I'm looking for in a new Mustang motor. If a 6 cylinder twin turbo was my cup of tea, I would look at European cars instead. I think Ford is about to make their Raptor commit suicide.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
That's not a rumor. It's confirmed.
Yea I can never keep up I work to much lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
Working at a Ford dealership I get to see all the problem child ford's come though the shop. So far no issues with the 2.3L ecoboost in the Mustang. It's the 3.5L in the Explorer and F150 I've seen have the most issues. There is a tsb out for the 3.5L in the F150. Stretched timing changes right at 60k. Even have to had replace turbos and one truck even needed a new motor at 61k. Really turned me off to ecoboost motors. I'll take a 3.7L V6 or a coyote motor any day. Or the good old 2V motors.
How about the 3.5 in Taurus line up

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #40
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
The "fact" no one is talking about is the "fact" that 99% of this thread is pure speculation.

Oh, and it's an older thread brought back.

poor impulse control.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My only question is why a four cylinder ecoboost and not a six cylinder ecoboost they already have one in the f-150

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
My only question is why a four cylinder ecoboost and not a six cylinder ecoboost they already have one in the f-150

Ford stated that it was too similar in performance to the GT in testing. An ecoboost V6 was briefly considered for the Mustang instead of the 2.3 I4 ecoboost.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford stated that it was too similar in performance to the GT in testing. An ecoboost V6 was briefly considered for the Mustang instead of the 2.3 I4 ecoboost.

Then ecoboost the 5.0 too

Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post

Then it would be too similar to the GT350
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
Then it would be too similar to the GT350

Another ecoboost haha

Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Guy at work here has a heavily breathed on Mazda Speed 3 that's putting 450HP to the front wheels (he showed me the dyno chart). He also showed me the odometer - 110,000+ miles and still running strong. I drove it and it's a torque steering beast!

Maybe the reason no one is talking about it is there's no "fact" there.
With a built motor I'm sure.

All of the same rules still apply. Displacement still is key. F/I is still a compensator to increase volumetric efficiency.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

2015 ecoBoost...the fact no one is talking about.

Anyone with an ecoboost post a 0-60 time of 5.2 sec? Stock vehicle. Car and driver I believe it was, is making this claim. Best YouTube times I've seen , from a stock EB, is more like 6.7 -6.9 sec range. The v-6 didn't even register a review. Figures.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
rich333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430621509.904818.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	181654

rich333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Look at the 2JZ and RB26, those are 6 cylinders and stomp on a lot of V8s like it's nothing. You can make power out of anything and have it reliable at the same time.

I predict the Eco boost outselling the V6 and V8 models.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
add 3.7 to that list I whoop on v8's every Friday at the drags
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

The best thing I think would happen is to replace the 2.3 with the new 2.7 Ecoboost. It should be a much better fit between the 3.7 and the 5.0.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I think, in part, that Ford believes the turbo four would be more appealing to European and other international markets, this being the first internationally available Mustang and all.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Also, the 2.3 Ecoboost is very popular in Europe with its use in the Focus. In addition, the cost of new cars vary a lot due to how each government assess the engine. Many go by the engine cc, and it can make a big price difference. And don't even try to figure VAT.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A few other key points to consider is 1. a V6 eco boost would likely get less MPG then the 2.3 eco boost. and 2. I believe in certain parts of Europe tax is based on displacement so putting a larger engine may hurt sales in other (non US) markets.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #55

I purchased a 2015 Ecoboost Premium w/ Performance Pack and it's been great. I take a lot of highway trips, so it was the perfect balance of tunable power and fuel economy. With a few bolt-ons and a Cobb stage 1 tune, it's got considerably more torque than stock, available at low RPMs, and it hauls. I can't wait to install the downpipe, larger intercooler and stage 2 tune to see what it can do then. Oh, and it was $10k less than a comparably equipped GT.

It's OK if you don't like 4cyl cars, but it's totally subjective based on your personal experiences. Most cars in general these days are 4 or 6cyl, and many of them turbocharged, from a variety of manufacturers.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
I purchased a 2015 Ecoboost Premium w/ Performance Pack and it's been great. I take a lot of highway trips, so it was the perfect balance of tunable power and fuel economy. With a few bolt-ons and a Cobb stage 1 tune, it's got considerably more torque than stock, available at low RPMs, and it hauls. I can't wait to install the downpipe, larger intercooler and stage 2 tune to see what it can do then. Oh, and it was $10k less than a comparably equipped GT.

It's OK if you don't like 4cyl cars, but it's totally subjective based on your personal experiences. Most cars in general these days are 4 or 6cyl, and many of them turbocharged, from a variety of manufacturers.
That is awesome you love your car and I would never hate/disown any mustang owner car. I would love for them to put the 3.5 ecoboost in it. If they came out with that in it I would go buy a new mustang in a heartbeat

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #57
Staff

Regular
Staff

The price premium a V8 gets is staggering. I've driven the V8 & V6 (own a 6) and while the V8 is a better car I have trouble justifying the $. And ya'll know any other opinion is wrong....

forgot to add another vote for thinking V8's are gonna be like inline 8's just a relic from the past. I'll miss them
Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
The price premium a V8 gets is staggering. I've driven the V8 & V6 (own a 6) and while the V8 is a better car I have trouble justifying the $. And ya'll know any other opinion is wrong....

forgot to add another vote for thinking V8's are gonna be like inline 8's just a relic from the past. I'll miss them
I couldn't agree more. I couldn't justify in my head that spending the 7.5 k more for the V8 was worth that kind of money. My base model V6 was 7.5 k less than a base model V8 and the V8 didn't even come with leather or power seats for that extra price.

On top of the 7.5k addition I would of had to spend 6k in aftermarket appearance mods and performance mods for me to be happy with it.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Just in case you had not considered this, 4 cylinder motors have fewer moving parts, less overall mass and, in the case of the 2.3 liter EcoBoosr, a twin scroll turbo. That's a powerful combination.

This motor is slated to replace 3.5l na & 3.7l na across all models. I am not a big fan of 4 bangers, but to ignore the obvious advantages and fuels savings is a mistake.
Ford is currently using a 1 liter 3 cylinder EcoBoost as the base motor for the Fiesta. You had better get used to the idea that less is more for all manufacturers.
Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #60
Staff

Regular
Staff

idk but I think there are fewer moving parts in a V6 compared to a turbo 4....which one is better is up to debate but I'd argue the 6 is simpler. I do agree my V6 is the odd ball engine from Ford.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Ehh, the 4 isn't that much better on gas.
Cars.com- http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USC40FOC051A0

Ford- http://m.ford.com/content/MobileFord...fications.html

The 4 cylinder only really shines in the city. On the highway, it doesn't impress- speaking of MPG. Cars doesn't differentiate for transmission. I'd be very curious how much fuel each uses at peak power. GPH at idle is easy to see, but I wonder about actual driving. Fuelly doesn't show the ecoboost doing much better.

I loved them when all ecoboost where twins (back when the SHO was in development) but a single, meh. I'll wait for the Lincoln MKM[ustang].

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2015 ecoBoost...the fact no one is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I loved them when all ecoboost where twins (back when the SHO was in development) but a single, meh. I'll wait for the Lincoln MKM[ustang].

Two turbos isn't necessary better just depends on the engine its supporting. For a 4 cylinder a twin setup really doesn't make sense. But when you step up to a v6 or v8 it makes sense to get the additional air flow from a second turbo without the lag of a larger single turbo

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Two turbos isn't necessary better just depends on the engine its supporting. For a 4 cylinder a twin setup really doesn't make sense. But when you step up to a v6 or v8 it makes sense to get the additional air flow from a second turbo without the lag of a larger single turbo

Could you explain how it would be less beneficial on a 4 to have a low and high turbo than on a 6 or 8? Relatively, it should be about the same. Not trying to argue, I just don't understand how there is a difference.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I am impressed with what MAPerformance, Livernois etc. are doing with the ecoboost engines. Crazy TQ gains!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Owning an SRT-4 put a foul taste in my mouth originally. Turbo lag was insane on the stock motor. But that wasn't a reliability issue. In fact I had no mechanical issues at all with it and regularly drove it hard.

I am eager to drive the ecoboost mustang. From what I'm reading, those that own them, love them. I don't doubt they are a lot of fun, but I'm just not personally a fan of the four banger sound track. I could see buying my wife one so that I could drive it now and then. Now some of the foreign cars sound very good, but I am a part of the group that believes a muscle should have the beautiful sound of a V8. It's sad, but I am accepting that I'll likely see the end of the V8 as the engine of choice by consumers and manufacturers in muscle cars and trucks.

Turbo 4's are nothing new OP. There are plenty that live long lives with minimal issues. This just breaks down to whether a car is maintained correctly or not. It seems like it would be bad for business and Ford's bottom line to sell a motor that wouldn't at least make it through the warranty period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-08-2015, 01:04 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The real difference with the ecoboost is that while it's a great engine, the car it's in weights too much for it and they have programmed it a bit oddly, IMO. What this means that the engine is really "Eco *or* Boost".

MPG drops a lot if you run it with a manual like it's supposed to be ( 2-3K range, not lugging the engine ). The boost is very hard to hypermill with and is a bit tricky to get used to as there is either torque or you lugged it/got the shift wrong and while it's getting 30+ mpg, it's suddenly going nowhere due to the large amount of weight and not enough torque with the boost off to really do anything. I gave up after a couple of test drives and decided that V6 and manual is a must. The V6 has a very predictable delivery and that makes for a much easier time with a manual transmission.

I'm sure it works fine with automatic... Everything gets smoothed out and flaws are hidden well with an automatic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #67
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Now you probably have read a gazillion posts about this new 4 cylinder engine...and all the pros and cons as well as the "attitude/principle" bashers or those who are fooled in thinking it is a great way to save cash on gas and still get the hp.

Yes fooled...

Because u keep reading all these articles and all these praises for this new toy pony of an engine, but No one, especially the press, is asking a simple question :

"How long will this engine last ? Will it take the mileage we are used to in American engines ? Or will it fall apart after 30k miles ?"

As an article said..."EcoBoost is just plain better than the 3.7L V6…"...MY ***. A 4 cylinder is far less balanced as an engine than a V6...anyone in the motor world will tell you that...who cares about the extra 5hp if you are squeezing the hell out of 4 cylinders. Moreover you will be extremely limited on mods...I foresee the classic Euro car issue...after 40k miles the engine is yesterday's garbage! ...and I am someone who owned numerous sports cars back in Europe that were all 4 cylinder supercharged or turbo. The great thing about American cars is their longevity...we'll see about this engine...

I bet my house that is Ford's "secret" intention...steer non GT buyers (who could simply not afford it...) towards a 4 cylinder that lasts 30-40k miles and then they are forced to rebuy...because it boggles my mind to keep reading such garbage articles where supposed "experts" praise this toy pony of an engine without even addressing life-span or longevity or reliability questions...look at all the Euro engines ! THEY DO NOT LAST! When I lived in Europe a car that was 30k miles (especially a sports car...) was OLD and time to change! That is because they could NOT take the mileage !

Any attempt I made to state this point on mustang FB pages (official)...resulted in my posts being deleted and me being blocked. Smells like last week's fish...
Where are you coming up with your deductions on this new engine??? I too drove many 4 banger cars in Europe in the '90's and 2000's, both gas and diesel, turbo and non turbo, and saw lots of them go well beyond the 200K mark, and still on the road. And Europe has much tougher inspection requirements in place then the U.S.
I'd not worry about its longevity issue. Ford is well aware that if they designed an engine to fail early, they would have a tough time these days explaining it away. A lot tougher these days for the automotive industry to push aside poor engineering and/or design. VW is in a huge mess right now; will be very difficult to smooze their way out of the mess they are in.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #68

I think Ford has way too much riding on the whole family of eco boost engines for them to only last 30k.

DavyGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk but I think there are fewer moving parts in a V6 compared to a turbo 4....which one is better is up to debate but I'd argue the 6 is simpler. I do agree my V6 is the odd ball engine from Ford.
I suspect that a four cylinder has less moving parts than a V6.. When you count in rods, pistons, rings, crank journals, bearings and counter weights, valve springs, keepers, etc.. Just sayin, I may be wrong.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)