Glad I got this generation v6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nope. Bet money a PP ecoboost with a standard will be a high 13 second car from the factory. A loaded auto does 5.7 0-60 lol who cares, my old mazdaspeed3 did a 5.7 stock, but said and done i was making 330 whp and 380 wtq and trapped 113 on the stock turbo, which is enough to beat a lot of stuff out there in a 3200 lb car. I wouldnt put it past this EB4 to be making mid 300s for horsepower and high 300s for torque without breaking a sweat when properly modded. I really want one for the road course, i love my 5.0, but its heavy, and that IRS sounds real tempting... plus i just love me some turbo 4, no one ever expects them to be fast, which is the rewarding part.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Nope. Bet money a PP ecoboost with a standard will be a high 13 second car from the factory. A loaded auto does 5.7 0-60 lol who cares, my old mazdaspeed3 did a 5.7 stock, but said and done i was making 330 whp and 380 wtq and trapped 113 on the stock turbo, which is enough to beat a lot of stuff out there in a 3200 lb car. I wouldnt put it past this EB4 to be making mid 300s for horsepower and high 300s for torque without breaking a sweat when properly modded. I really want one for the road course, i love my 5.0, but its heavy, and that IRS sounds real tempting... plus i just love me some turbo 4, no one ever expects them to be fast, which is the rewarding part.
*****, a factory 3.7 with 3:31 gears can run high 13's 1/4 mile all day long and thats N/A and with like 40 less torque. I was really hoping for a lot more from that 4 banger. Not impressed with those numbers.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
*****, a factory 3.7 with 3:31 gears can run high 13's 1/4 mile all day long and thats N/A and with like 40 less torque. I was really hoping for a lot more from that 4 banger. Not impressed with those numbers.

Spend you some time around turbo 4s and you'll gain an appreciation. They're all Docile from the factory, every single turbo 4 option out there, but mod for mod it will leave a v6 in the dust. My car dynod 240 whp stock, even V8s arent picking up ~100 whp and torque over stock just from bolt ons. In stock form it may not be a heavy weight, but i promise, wait for the aftermarket to get their hands on one and it wont be long until the EB4 is a serious contender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I definitely agree that the worse thing about the 15 v6 is the lack of premium features. I want my leather seats.
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I think its unfortunate the V6 never really got its chance. It is a stout engine, but only 1-2 generations before its basically replaced by the EB4 was kind of a short life. Means there likely wont be much aftermarket for the S550 V6 either :/
Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Go figure: 11-14 v6s hve close to or greater hp than any previous gt model...
Always laugh at this. 305 hp =or> 315 hp?

But that's not what's funny. hp is imaginary, 280 ft-lbs tq vs 325... Hmm...
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Spend you some time around turbo 4s and you'll gain an appreciation. They're all Docile from the factory, every single turbo 4 option out there, but mod for mod it will leave a v6 in the dust. My car dynod 240 whp stock, even V8s arent picking up ~100 whp and torque over stock just from bolt ons. In stock form it may not be a heavy weight, but i promise, wait for the aftermarket to get their hands on one and it wont be long until the EB4 is a serious contender.
It will be very interesting too see what a tune and some bolt on mods bring to that 4 banger. It should get some serious gains..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Always laugh at this. 305 hp =or> 315 hp?

But that's not what's funny. hp is imaginary, 280 ft-lbs tq vs 325... Hmm...
And yet they are equally as fast with 45 less torque. Ha ha ha. Must be that fancy new 6 speed transmission. Lol

Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #44
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
0-60 5.6 seconds with 3.55 gears the 4 banger turbo. Heck ,my 3.7 ran that fast when I had 2.73 gears. Ha ha ha. That turbo is gonna be a huge bust here in the U.S.

Wow at the track I was getting 0-60 in 5.4 with just a tune and 2.73s...
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Wow at the track I was getting 0-60 in 5.4 with just a tune and 2.73s...
For real bro. People getting 5.1-5.2 with 3:31 gears and no tune so in stock format I can't say I'm super impressed with the 4 banger turbo. Really disappointed in those factory numbers.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I do wonder how much rwhp will a tune give the 4 banger?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Tons, i dont know why 0-60 is suddenly the be all- end all performance basis for a car ... a single gear 60-100 pull is where the real test of horsepower is, all 0-60 measures is traction.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tons, i dont know why 0-60 is suddenly the be all- end all performance basis for a car ... a single gear 60-100 pull is where the real test of horsepower is, all 0-60 measures is traction.
Traction yes, but being this is an all new IRS suspension I would of thought traction wouldn't be an issue for the 2015. Based on that 0-60 mph run in the 4 banger I would say this new revolutionary traction IRS is not the cats meow.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

IRS has never been better for drag racing ... its FAR superior daily driving and on a road course, but it does tend to fall short from a dig. The fact that the S550 GT is matching the outgoing s197 GT in 1/4 times though means traction obviously hasnt suffered much.

They also tested an auto ... have yall forgotten how incredibly lazy the stock torque converter is on the stock tune? I could write a book waiting for that thing to shift. I could be wrong, but i'll wait to admit that until someone does a proper test of a track pack, manual EB4
Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
IRS has never been better for drag racing ... its FAR superior daily driving and on a road course, but it does tend to fall short from a dig. The fact that the S550 GT is matching the outgoing s197 GT in 1/4 times though means traction obviously hasnt suffered much.

They also tested an auto ... have yall forgotten how incredibly lazy the stock torque converter is on the stock tune? I could write a book waiting for that thing to shift. I could be wrong, but i'll wait to admit that until someone does a proper test of a track pack, manual EB4
So, the IRS isn't gonna help 0-60 or 1/4 mile acceleration? I wonder if a tune alone is possible to net 50 plus rwhp alone.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
And yet they are equally as fast with 45 less torque. Ha ha ha. Must be that fancy new 6 speed transmission. Lol

The 3.7's are a bit lighter and the 6spd definitely helps.

I wouldn't say equally fast, but that's just from my experience... Every 3.7 I've raced in Mexico (they actually revved at me first) got nothing but a nice shot of my GT's ***. By that I mean there were close races but I still won and only thing I had during those times were a Steeda tune.

I'd like to see what my GT can do from a dig now with all the suspension parts I have...
Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

IRS if anything will hurt or be the same, but it wont be better. A tune wont make 50 peak whp, but all turbo cars are de-tuned on the top end to keep heat down (i think i already posted the EB dyno in this thread), and its real easy to pick that top end up with a tune. You may gain 20-40 whp (i have no idea how this turbo reacts yet, so we'll just have to see) on the top end, but just keep in mind thats not peak gains.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
IRS if anything will hurt or be the same, but it wont be better. A tune wont make 50 peak whp, but all turbo cars are de-tuned on the top end to keep heat down (i think i already posted the EB dyno in this thread), and its real easy to pick that top end up with a tune. You may gain 20-40 whp (i have no idea how this turbo reacts yet, so we'll just have to see) on the top end, but just keep in mind thats not peak gains.
I guess with all the hype Ford put out about this EB turbo 4 I was surprised to see some of the numbers. I would of figured with it having 45 pounds more torque it would of been able to run 5 seconds flat especially with 3:55 gears. Lol.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #54
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I use 0-60 as my main performance indicator because I use it way more in my daily drive than flat out 1/4 mile runs or 60-100 pulls.

I go to the track once a year for ****s and giggles, and that's about it.

So really 0-60 is all I care about for my DD. If I had a track car or if I were street racing I'd care about other measures of performance more.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

The GT runs a 4.7 and makes 400 wtq, the EB makes 320. 5.0 is a little ambitious, especially from an auto. Granted, there are so many more things that affect 0-60 than just torque. We pretty much just need to wait for a proper EB test at this point.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The GT runs a 4.7 and makes 400 wtq, the EB makes 320. 5.0 is a little ambitious, especially from an auto. Granted, there are so many more things that affect 0-60 than just torque. We pretty much just need to wait for a proper EB test at this point.
Well that's true but just based on the numbers were seeing thus far is leaving a bit of head scratching being all the hype around this EB engine over the years.

First it was "The ecoboost is going to get more horsepower and better mileage than the V6."

Nah. It manages only 10 more horsepower than the 2014 V6 and in order to make it look better they claim the 2015 V6 is only 300 hp. As for mpg, well it turned out to be a bunch of hype as well. A staggering 2 mpg better than the V6 on average. Doing the math reveals that driving the ecoboost and using 93 octane might save the ecoboost owners about $1.00 per fill up.

Then it was "The ecoboost will churn out better torque and that will equate to better performance."

Nah. Turns out the ecboost turns in the same performance level as the V6 despite having more torque.

So now it's "But once you put a tune on the ecoboost it's going to be night and day different and spank the V6.

Seems that Ford gave this way too much hype.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
1 MPG highway over the 6...one should easily be able to beat the auto mileage with a standard. Tit for tat, the the 4 beats the 6 1 highway, and 3 city. Funny, how the same engine for four years did one thing, but now it suddenly does something else.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/your-mi...oboost-models/

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #58
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
1 MPG highway over the 6...one should easily be able to beat the auto mileage with a standard. Tit for tat, the the 4 beats the 6 1 highway, and 3 city. Funny, how the same engine for four years did one thing, but now it suddenly does something else.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/your-mi...oboost-models/

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

They've really watered down the V6 a lot on purpose. I hate that they had to trash the V6 to make the 4 banger more appealing.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
They've really watered down the V6 a lot on purpose. I hate that they had to trash the V6 to make the 4 banger more appealing.
It makes me love my 6 way more, that they had to do it for the 4 to have a chance- but sad that they are obviously axing it from the Mustang line. Hopefully it will come back with a turbo on it.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I've ran with a couple of 3.7s with my 4.6 3v. I pulled a 2014 standard about 3 lengths. And a 2013 with a tune about 2 lengths they are pretty quick! But I think my 3.55s is what pulled them

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GunMetalGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The upcoming V6 will be available in base trim only. No premium package or other goodies.

Here's what I predict (aside from rental companies buying them in droves, creating a huge stigma similar to the Crown Vic):

- Buyer goes in looking at the V6 (hey, it's still economy car priced after incentives and 300hp is still a lot for $20K)
- Base model, no options. "Well, we do have this one here with those features - it even has more power..."
- It has a 4 cylinder engine (turbo) and costs 4-5K more.

- The buyer pauses and thinks hard. V8 (suddenly 7-8K more than they were originally thinking of spending) or...
"Let me think about it"

This is why GM is going to crush Ford in sales once the fanboy hype dies down. The Camaro keeps to the formula of big engine, basic car, low price. The Turbo 4 is going to be a hard sell in the U.S. It'll do excellent in Europe and the rest of the world. But it'll be a flop here.

Of course, it's clear that Ford as a "global company" is once again showing that it doesn't REALLY care about the U.S. market any more. It'll sell more Mustangs to the rest of the world in a month than it probably will in a year in the U.S.
I don't know where you live but when I was looking for a new car I priced Camaro's as well and couldn't find a V8 model for under 35/36 k MSRP and when the dealerships ran sales it put them in the 31/32k range. Although they seemed to come with better standard options still not 'cheap' in comparison to a mustang.

You have to remember Ford probable won't offer incentives on the 15's for a while, so your 20k after incentives is gone. The V6 MSRP is 23,600 while the ecoboost is 25,170 so your talking 1500 more for the eco boost. Cant compare the premium because that is apples to oranges.

And to everyone saying Ford just cares about global markets apparently have no idea how big the turbo scene is in the US. Just about every turbo car anyone makes has had a huge aftermarket following. Evo, older Eclipses, WRX, SRT 4, etc. If the eco boost has any kind of potential I imagine a RWD turbo 4 that comes with 300 HP stock isn't going to take long to have a huge following. I love my V6 considering the price I paid after it was all said and done with rebates but if I could have gotten the eco boost for anywhere near what I paid for me it wouldn't even be a choice to go with the turbo.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
One of the major factors as well is the extra weight combined with the taller gearing to get slightly better MPG on paper, and turbo lag. It's basically a wash in actual driving vs the current V6 if it has the performance package.

I've driven ecoboosts and unless you hammer the throttle like a switch, it spins up and responds in daily driving like a 4 banger. It's just plain lazy at low rpms with lag if you don't give it a lot of gas.

Less money, less parts to eventually replace, smoother on the highway, and no premium fuel. I'll take my V6 any day. Shame Ford just doesn't get it.

Also, the real problem is the V6 Camaro. Inexpensive, just as fast as the ecoboost 4 for less money, and no styling issues. Or extra weight. Ford will sell the 4 all over Europe and the rest of the world and the V8 to fanboys (which there are a lot of, admittedly). But the normal guy looking for a good car at a low price? Yeah.... Not getting a Mustang.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

None of the other ecoboost models are "performance" based, they're economy based. No one in a Ford Escape needs blistering low end torque, so they dial the turbo in slowly for your Joe Blow daily commuter. The EB mustang has a twin scroll turbo, and a very clever integrated exhaust manifold, turbo lag will not be a problem with this turbo.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Headline on MSN auto this morning;

2015 Mustang slightly thirstier than previous model, according to new EPA estimates

New Mustang V6 is off 3 mpg from the previous model with automatic transmission and 1 mpg with manual.

Ouch, guess Ford really really wants the ecoboost 4 to shine. Now not only does the V6 make less power it gets worse gas mileage then previous years.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Same engine...

DE-Tune it...

Presto! The new Ecoboost looks better instead of the same.

25K and no incentives or rebates the first year... Same speed as the 14s... Yeah the 14s are going to fly off the lot. Get one while you can if you're lurking.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Also, the real problem is the V6 Camaro. Inexpensive, just as fast as the ecoboost 4 for less money, and no styling issues. Or extra weight. Ford will sell the 4 all over Europe and the rest of the world and the V8 to fanboys (which there are a lot of, admittedly). But the normal guy looking for a good car at a low price? Yeah.... Not getting a Mustang.

Again I don't know where your getting your information from but nothing your saying is remotely correct. Base Camaros are the same price as mustangs if not a little more. Sure GM occasionally runs sales but so does Ford. Plus the Camaros weigh more and as of now the Eco boost makes more hp then the V6 Camaro. Camaro v6 model has a curb weight of ~3700 lbs while the eco boost is ~3500. Styling is subjective as there are a lot of Camaro guys that hate the way they look, in this category your never going to make everyone happy.

And FYI although most turbo cars require premium most of the ford Eco boost engines don't. So it wouldn't surprise me if Ford does the same with the mustang since it is the economical model.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #67
Road Trip!

Quote:
Same engine...

DE-Tune it...

Presto! The new Ecoboost looks better instead of the same.

25K and no incentives or rebates the first year... Same speed as the 14s... Yeah the 14s are going to fly off the lot. Get one while you can if you're lurking.
Yeah, But a lot of people rather get the new body style already....

I personally was debating on whether I should keep spending money on my current 2013 or upgrade to the 2015...

Then I thought i'd wait for the newer version of the S550 (Like the 2012 and 2013 differ)

Don't care if I have to wait 3 more years, I'll continue modifying my current car until that point !
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Yeah, But a lot of people rather get the new body style already....

Then I thought i'd wait for the newer version of the S550 (Like the 2012 and 2013 differ)
Same here

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Ima get a procharger and then well see what the eb are all about

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
They need to ecoboost the 3.7

I'd choose it over a 5.0 anyday of the week

ig - @bradpigden
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)