Do you still question the Ecoboost? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Are you sure about that? My parents have two titaniums, the hybrid and the plug-in, but I didn't see the EB available when they were shopping for them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yep, it came in the 1.6 and 2.0l ecoboosts. Not the 2.3, yet anyway. Here are the reviews of them for the 2013:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yep, it came in the 1.6 and 2.0l ecoboosts. Not the 2.3, yet anyway. Here are the reviews of them for the 2013:

Cool. Yeah since they went for the hybrids I guess I didn't look into the conventional engines much.

On topic, what a great 60'! That will get your heart pumping on entrance ramps and stop lights. That's about the same 60' I got on my stock V6 at the same track as them a couple months ago (Milan Dragway in Michigan). So yes, LiveWire003 if you're reading this, I believe you now, the 60' timer was broken for my run, haha.

I'm the one on the left.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415073636057.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	169152  
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:59 AM   #38
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I love the new Ecoboost. I'm really considering cutting down on mods for the Bullitt to get an Ecoboost premium after college as my DD, since the Bullitt has a suspension that will break my spine if I have to commute in it daily.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I love the new Ecoboost. I'm really considering cutting down on mods for the Bullitt to get an Ecoboost premium after college as my DD, since the Bullitt has a suspension that will break my spine if I have to commute in it daily.

😐😐😐😱😱😱

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Haha Sakib I truly didn't mean to offend you. But yes this ecoboost takes off like a bat out of hell. Would be a VERY fun street car.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

And don't forget the 1.5 that is now standard in the autos and replaces the 1.6 as of 2014 in the fusion. My wife's 14 has one and for a tiny displacement its pretty impressive.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Very impressive indeed and totally agree the 4 turbo is a great platform. Mad props to Livernois. On a side note question. On the 2015 models did Ford decide to place a one piece driveshaft in or are they still using that two piece junk

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash.
The 2 piece isnt "junk," it serves the purpose the factory needs it to. With the 2 piece CV joint design it basically allows the driveshaft freedom to move, as opposed to a 1-piece which needs the pinion angle set precisely or can lead to harmonics and vibrations.

That being said, the 2-piece driveshaft arguably looks worse in the '15s, but i imagine Ford has a reason for doing what they did. No one is purposefully engineering worse parts.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Might want to do what I did and sell the older Mustang and drive a "DD". And then buy the Eco when you get out and use that as your DD plus track car. IMO the Eco with the IRS and the 6 speed would be worlds better than what you have now and you could probably get some decent $$$ out of the Bullitt with the mods it has.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Drove an ecoboost and GT today. The eco definitely has more torque than my V6. I could tell immediately. The eco I drove was an auto and I still felt more torque. As for the GT... well it was badass!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Drove the silver eco. It is a premium. The GT is a base with PP.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415138952403.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	169178   Click image for larger version

Name:	1415138970109.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	169179  

Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Gah those are beautiful cars.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

If I remember, you already ordered one, right ponie?

Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Our 3.7 definitely lack torque. That's no secret. Lol. 325 to 280, nice size difference.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash.

Nothing mods won't take care of. My 3.7 has tons of torque for that engine at this point, I will be dynoing it soon and will give you numbers...but man does it push now at low rpms and I am burning many pre 2011 GTs.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Nothing mods won't take care of. My 3.7 has tons of torque for that engine at this point, I will be dynoing it soon and will give you numbers...but man does it push now at low rpms and I am burning many pre 2011 GTs.

Yeah with a few mods and a good tune the Cyclone doesn't have much of a problem beating up on the bolt on 4.6L guys. However, once the Ecoboost comes out and the tuners start going out its going to be haaaaard for the V6 owners to keep up. Going to require a LPF kit and then all bets are off.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah with a few mods and a good tune the Cyclone doesn't have much of a problem beating up on the bolt on 4.6L guys. However, once the Ecoboost comes out and the tuners start going out its going to be haaaaard for the V6 owners to keep up. Going to require a LPF kit and then all bets are off.

I'm not disagreeing...what I am saying is that ideologically it doesn't fit a muscle car...and reliability will become a serious issue at that point. Remember...you will be strangling the life out of a 4 banger with a car that weighs like a farm truck ...that is a recipe for disaster if you drive consistently aggressive. This I am getting from multiple mustang tuners and top notch mechanics...I am not making it up.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing...what I am saying is that ideologically it doesn't fit a muscle car...and reliability will become a serious issue at that point. Remember...you will be strangling the life out of a 4 banger with a car that weighs like a farm truck ...that is a recipe for disaster if you drive consistently aggressive. This I am getting from multiple mustang tuners and top notch mechanics...I am not making it up.

I would say Ford Engineers know a little bit more about those things than various tuners and mechanics do. Now that being said, the Ecoboost isn't meant to be the performance go-to like the Shelby, therefore it will have gaps that the aftermarket will have to pick up on.

As far as reliability, I think it will be just fine. Before anyone really has had time to beat them into the dirt, I would imagine the aftermarket presence will be there with parts to prevent it.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

^^ I can first hand say that is a load of crap. I have been "strangling the life out of turbo 4 bangers" for years now and they're doing just fine . They could build 1000 whp corvettes and vipers, its not a turbo 4, so quite frankly they know nothing about it as far as im concerned. Anyone who has looked at the cut away of this motor knows and understands exactly how stout it really is. This motor is built on SVT levels.

I would not be surprised to see 500 whp on the stock motor, we have seen it plenty of times before.

Edit: I didn't mean you Joey, you posted before I did.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would say Ford Engineers know a little bit more about those things than various tuners and mechanics do. Now that being said, the Ecoboost isn't meant to be the performance go-to like the Shelby, therefore it will have gaps that the aftermarket will have to pick up on.

As far as reliability, I think it will be just fine. Before anyone really has had time to beat them into the dirt, I would imagine the aftermarket presence will be there with parts to prevent it.

Well I didn't say STOCK. I was replying to the tuning of it and what you said about out performing V6/v8

Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
If I remember, you already ordered one, right ponie?

No, never did cause they wouldn't value my trade. I may look into leasing to save some money due to personal issues. We'll see.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...=cAQFsi8xx&s=1

Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #56

I got my 14 v6 for 25,000 out the door. Can't beat that with an ecoboost.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
sam 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

How much is the base Eco ?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #58

When I went to look at them the lowest price was 32,000.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
sam 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Too much

Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
How much is the base Eco ?

The base models are 25k but it seems like the first round of production is 99% premium models which run in the 30-35 k range depending on options.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #61
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Might want to do what I did and sell the older Mustang and drive a "DD". And then buy the Eco when you get out and use that as your DD plus track car. IMO the Eco with the IRS and the 6 speed would be worlds better than what you have now and you could probably get some decent $$$ out of the Bullitt with the mods it has.

Not selling it. I will only sell the car if I am in absolute financial turmoil. I'd rather destroy my spine than sell it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

My local dealer has a base auto due in on the 18th. It's $27,100 before the bs they will try to add.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

An fyi, it appears the base manual comes with 3.31 gears and the base auto comes with 3.15 gears. I drove a premium and it had 3.31's.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

If the 6R80 has the same gearing as it has before there will be no reason to put gears in it put ppl who don't know any better will be putting 4.10s in and then wondering why their times went up.

But $32k is way too goddamn much for that car. Way too much. $25k for a base would be more like it and the base is the best IMO anyway unless you have to have leather seats. All the extra **** just adds weight/more stuff to break and any base model anything these days is pretty decently optioned.

This is why you never buy a first year run right when it comes out. Prices are jacked, first year run bugs and half the time they introduce some craziness a year or two later that makes your car look like crap. Witness countless 2010 GT owners.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Do you still question the Ecoboost?

Ok I'll give you a list and then I'll give you my opinion/thoughts...consider everything at the wheel of course :

- BBK 73mm throttle body
- JLT CAI
- Accel supercoils
- Poweraid throttle spacer
- JLT oil separator
- SVT breather
- BBK shorty headers
- ford racing x pipe
- PYPES bomb axel backs (muffler delete)
- lightweight under drive pulley
- driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft
- eaton locked limited slip differential
- SWANSON PERFORMANCE custom dyno tune 91 octane
- customized coolant thermostat
- Shelby super snake engine fan
- ported cylinder heads
- performance camshafts (don't remember brand)
- 19" Brembo rims running Pirelli p-zero 265/40/19

So here are my reactions...

- ran Bama race tune for 6 months and didn't know any better (sorry Bama...but Mailorder tunes suck). Went to Danny Swanson here in LA whom I had heard consistent great stuff about...did a custom tune and this was absolutely one of the most impressive mods I did. Hp I cannot tell since I have not yet pulled it to limit, but damn did the thing pull like hell right out of the shop! My opinion ? Drop Mailorder tunes and invest in a custom dyno tune with a great reputation tuner.

- as stupid as it may sound, that darn throttle body spacer did wonders for me. It was one of the last bolt ons I did prior to retune, so I cannot say if by itself it makes a difference or if it is an effect based on my combo of mods...but if you're asking about torque, that thing boosted it on mine quite a noticeable bit!

- headers I felt a decent increase as well

- driveshaft. Awesome! That is the 2nd most effective mod I did for torque...lightens up car by 19 pounds, rotational mass so equivalent to 3-4 times that in weight gain...power to the ground..big difference in pull

- differential. Same as above but not that noticeable of an increase...but it is there.

- ported heads...huge.

As for everything....many mods I did together and I did not scientifically dyno at every mod...so I cannot say beyond giving you my honest opinion on what I felt...but be it a combo of mods or some single mods themselves...I am light years above stock torque. I will dyno it and measure soon to get exact numbers.

Oh yes...forgot! TEMPERATURE! Te cyclone loves to run between 195-205F of cylinder head temp. When it goes above 205 it becomes sluggish...you can feel it...it's not the same flow and pull. I am doing everything to keep temp below 205. Hence fan, thermostat work and modern billet grill that is open enough to allow higher air flow but not so open you get a trash dumpster in your engine every week. This for me made a huge difference in consistent performance. I did not do radiator yet, but a nice coolant flush and change yes. Plus royal purple oil made my engine smoother.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Full race motorsports has been doing big things in the 4-cylinder (and ecoboost) world for years. They bring us, the Freakoboost.

SEMA Show Tease: Full-Race 2015 Mustang EcoBoost | TheMustangNewsTheMustangNews
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Full race motorsports has been doing big things in the 4-cylinder (and ecoboost) world for years. They bring us, the Freakoboost.

SEMA Show Tease: Full-Race 2015 Mustang EcoBoost | TheMustangNewsTheMustangNews
I linked that earlier in this thread.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Whoops, must have looked over it, sorry about that.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Ok I'll give you a list and then I'll give you my opinion/thoughts...consider everything at the wheel of course :

- BBK 73mm throttle body
- JLT CAI
- Accel supercoils
- Poweraid throttle spacer
- JLT oil separator
- SVT breather
- BBK shorty headers
- ford racing x pipe
- PYPES bomb axel backs (muffler delete)
- lightweight under drive pulley
- driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft
- eaton locked limited slip differential
- SWANSON PERFORMANCE custom dyno tune 91 octane
- customized coolant thermostat
- Shelby super snake engine fan
- ported cylinder heads
- performance camshafts (don't remember brand)
- 19" Brembo rims running Pirelli p-zero 265/40/19
I wasn't aware that under drive pulleys have been made for the 3.7.

Also, could you give us the specs on the cam via the cam card and did you lock out the cam phasers, because that is the first I have ever heard of it on a 3.7. What's your maximum RPM with those cams and ported heads?

Last thing, WTF is a customized coolant thermostat?
Old 11-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cams and ported heads most likely done by Super Six, as they are the only ones on the market that I know of.

And I don't want to derail this thread any further, so grom, make a new build thread!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)