Do you still question the Ecoboost? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
^^^

I have Roush which can be retarded loud even under moderately heavy throttle. I know when I leave at 5am it's sub 2k RPM and minimal throttle till I'm out of the neighborhood. Even my normal day to day driving is sub 2500 for 98% of my commute.

You have to have respect and know when it's ok to be loud. Not just being loud for the sake of being loud.
Same with my new ATAKS, I didn't think they were that loud at first, but you get a lot less of it in the cabin. It's absurdly loud outside, so I'm tender on the throttle during the wee hours and through neighborhoods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Oh ya, the DOT law too...lol don't go above 8,000K when you install HIDs or any lights that are blue or red on the outside of the car...they think your impersonating cops lol
Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Oh ya, the DOT law too...lol don't go above 8,000K when you install HIDs or any lights that are blue or red on the outside of the car...they think your impersonating cops lol
And you can't drive with any red or blue lights on either.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #109
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
I take it he didn't send you to a reff? It's hit or miss. It all depends how they feel that day and how you act. If your start with " I have rights....ect" which you do, just don't be telling them that. They know and they will just shove it hard up your tailpipe all because you stood up for yourself. A buddy had a nice 2006 RSX Type S. Cattless exhaust, headers, intake, a bunch of other non-performance related mods. Well over 6k into this car. Decided to stand up to some cops giving him **** for a tail light. Next thing he knows his car is impounded, sent to a reff, tickets out the *** and for what? He never got the car back btw. They wanted over 2k to bring it out of impound oh they also falsely wrote him up for street racing. 3pm in traffic...ya that makes sense...

I turned right at a light and floored it. Broke the back end out in 2nd, kind of went side to side also. Car is super loud. Didn't say anything about how loud it was. He could have impounded the car for that, but I was super nice and didn't "plead the 5th". He put it in paper better than it was in real life.

Don't be a dick to the cop. People think it is what you need to do, but it's really not. Only if you are absolutely in the right and you did nothing wrong. Even then just accept it and then take it to court, better way of dealing with it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anything over 6000k is garbage imo anyway. Looks cheap, because it is and poor visibility.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #111
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
5500-6000k is pure white. That is the most optimal. Around the 3000k is yellowish and best for fogs.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #112
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
5500-6000k is pure white. That is the most optimal. Around the 3000k is yellowish and best for fogs.

4300k is actually optimal. Anything past 5k and the lumens start falling off quick. After 6k its not even worth it. Not to mention HIDs are pretty much worthless in anything that isn't a HID specific housing or retrofit anyway. If I had my 98 still, I'd probably be putting HIR halogens in the low beams and ditching the HIDs. When I get my 11/12 GT, I honestly would like to find one with HIDs if the price is right but its probably going to be a base model for me which means no HIDs. Not like one can't see perfectly fine with a good set of halogens anyway. HIDs are totally overblown IMO.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My 13 is the first car I've had with HIDs, far superior to anything I've used in the past. Night and day difference to my wife's 14 fusion, but yes a good set of halogens will do just fine.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #114
Staff
Regular
Staff

Post a pic of your cutoff line. I'd like to see how well those Raxioms do with a HID cutoff.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I have a set of 35W 6000k HID's and they are pure white. They look great. I have them in my raxiom smoked projection halo headlights

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash.
I have pretty much the exact same thing lol.

I have been toying with the idea of retrofitting my old headlights with projectors. About $380 to do em and it's a good project. The Raxiom projector is okay, but nothing compared to some of the higher end ones.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I have pretty much the exact same thing lol.

I have been toying with the idea of retrofitting my old headlights with projectors. About $380 to do em and it's a good project. The Raxiom projector is okay, but nothing compared to some of the higher end ones.

I just really love the way those raxiom smoked halo lights look. They are so cool I think. I can see fine at night but I do 99% of my driving in my pony during day light and dusk hours. I live out in a rural area so street lights are not an option. Very dark county one lane roads and no real visibility issues at night or even when raining.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415341808089.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	169339  
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I just really love the way those raxiom smoked halo lights look. They are so cool I think. I can see fine at night but I do 99% of my driving in my pony during day light and dusk hours. I live out in a rural area so street lights are not an option. Very dark county one lane roads and no real visibility issues at night or even when raining.

I love the look as well. Goes perfectly with my tinted sidemarkers and quarter markers, etc.

I would just upgrade the projectors in the raxiom, but they're sealed with Butyl, which means those sum *****es aren't coming apart. Whereas you can bake the stock headlights open.

Sorry for thread jack!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I love the look as well. Goes perfectly with my tinted sidemarkers and quarter markers, etc.

I would just upgrade the projectors in the raxiom, but they're sealed with Butyl, which means those sum *****es aren't coming apart. Whereas you can bake the stock headlights open.

Sorry for thread jack!

Oh wow! Your right...we totally thread jacked this
uhh..... ummmm...what was it about again? uhhhhh Oh ECOBOOST! Yes...ummm

It has a turbo, it comes with more power from the factory than the 3.7
Its more of a "tuners" car. People who like EVOs and STIs and GTIs lol Mazda Speeds, They will have soo much fun with this car...assuming they can find a base for $25-26k. But that being said simple exhaust change, K&N filter. Not sure if it will help maybe a CAI? Definitely a tune. That thing will be sitting at crank hp to the wheels easy....we all know how hard it is just to kiss the 300 whp mark with this car with out dumping a couple grand into it.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #119
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Ain't nothing wrong with a twin scroll turbo

I had a Mini John Cooper Works that I traded in on my Mustang. It was extremely fast and with the twin scroll turbo it had no noticeable turbo lag at all. The Mini only weighed in at 2,455 pounds with a full tank and me in it. With 211 horsepower it was extremely quick.
I never did get a tuner for it because it functioned so well. Not to many cars could keep up with my times on road courses and it was limited from the factory to 148 MPH. Just long straights hampered me.
I probably would have just kept this Mini if I did not develop Cancer and lost my stamina. I stopped tracking and auto x-ing. I was out of $$$$$$ anyway.

The Turbo four in the 2015 Mustang will be a great engine for a lot of people.
They will keep the 3.7 V6 to use in Rental cars because it is one very dependable tough engine. It is also used in Ford F-150 trucks. There are also a few foreign cars that use the 3.7 V6 engine. I'll see if I can find the article I read which ones.

We all know that the V8 is the best engine for the people that enjoy having more then enough power and don't mind paying a premium to have it. I love it but just do not need it with my style of driving any more. My V6 does everything I need it to do and will still outrun a lot of so called performance V8's.

As far as looks, The 2015 Mustang still looks like a Mustang.

*****But, Nothing looks as good as a 2012 Mustang to me*************

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #120
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I found this

A few days before the 2009 Los Angeles International Auto Show, Ford unveiled a new version of the 3.7 L for the 2011 Mustang, making it the first Duratec-badged V6 since the Lincoln LS to be used in a production rear-wheel drive car. This version of the 3.7 L features Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT); delivers 31 mpg-US (7.6 L/100 km; 37 mpg-imp) highway mileage in the Mustang, and was the first production engine to deliver in excess of 300 hp (224 kW) and 30 MPG.[6]
Applications[edit]
273 hp (204 kW) at 6250 rpm and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) at 4250 rpm
2008–present Mazda CX-9 (MZI)
272 hp (203 kW) at 6250 rpm and 269 lb·ft (365 N·m) at 4250 rpm
2009–2013 Mazda 6 (MZI)
275 hp (205 kW) at 6250 rpm and 276 lb·ft (374 N·m) at 4250 rpm
2009-2012 Lincoln MKS
268 hp (200 kW) at 6250 rpm and 267 lb·ft (362 N·m) at 4250 rpm
2010 Lincoln MKT
300 hp (224 kW) at 6500 rpm and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) at 4000 rpm
2013-present Lincoln MKZ
Ti-VCT 302 hp (225 kW) at 6500 rpm and 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 4000 rpm
2011-2014 Ford F-150 [7]
Ti-VCT 305 hp (227 kW) at 6500 rpm and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) at 4250 rpm
2011 Ford Mustang
2011 Lincoln MKX[8]
2011 Ford Edge Sport
Ti-VCT 304hp at 6500 rpm and 279 lb-ft at 4000rpm
2013 Lincoln MKS
Ti-VCT 310 hp (231 kW) at 6500 rpm and 288 lb·ft (390 N·m) at 4500 rpm
2012 Ginetta G60

Same engine, Different Horsepower ratings.
Ronnie

For those that don't know what a Ginetta G-60 is
Old 11-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #121
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
a few days before the 2009 auto show.....

I'm also thinking the V6 in Fords other vehicles is the 3.5 I'm still thinking the 3.7 ain't gonna make the cut in the future. I see like today two engines the Ecoboost and the V8. Oh yeah like when I bought my V6 the $ difference will be 5-6K (or more)
Old 11-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #122
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

DUH !!!!!

GO BACK AND READ IT

It say's
Quote:
A few days before the 2009 Los Angeles International Auto Show, Ford unveiled a new version of the 3.7 L for the 2011 Mustang,
Ronnie
Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

I have to say I would be slightly uncomfortable if I had a 6 cylinder right now....

However the 4cyl sound in a Mustang makes no sense it's too wrong.
Xtian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
a few days before the 2009 auto show.....

I'm also thinking the V6 in Fords other vehicles is the 3.5 I'm still thinking the 3.7 ain't gonna make the cut in the future. I see like today two engines the Ecoboost and the V8. Oh yeah like when I bought my V6 the $ difference will be 5-6K (or more)
+1, the 2015 f-150 has dropped the 3.7 for the 3.5. The only other car from ford that now uses the 3.7 is the Lincoln MKS I believe. I love the 3.7 but within a couple of years it will be history IMO. Ford just has way to many engine displacements at the moment, I don't see any room or future for the 3.7. If ford continues with a V6 option in the future it will more than likely be the 3.5...........or the 3.5 eco??!! That would be sweet!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Honestly, Ford never should have made the 2.3 EB unless it's going into small FWD/AWD platforms.

The '15 should have came with the 3.7, 2.7 EB and 5.0. Going with the 3.5 EB would have made a massive dent in the sales of the 5.0.

Hell, just a tune on an EB 4 is putting down better times than a stock 5.0. Ford knows they can't push a big EB into the Mustang because there will be a lot of people jumping to the EB engines.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Honestly, Ford never should have made the 2.3 EB unless it's going into small FWD/AWD platforms.

The '15 should have came with the 3.7, 2.7 EB and 5.0. Going with the 3.5 EB would have made a massive dent in the sales of the 5.0.

Hell, just a tune on an EB 4 is putting down better times than a stock 5.0. Ford knows they can't push a big EB into the Mustang because there will be a lot of people jumping to the EB engines.
Oh god...an AWD Mustang!!! That would be so badass!!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh god...an AWD Mustang!!! That would be so badass!!
GTR, I'm coming for you!!!
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I was thinking more along the lines of Fiesta/Focus/Fusion.

The Mustang needs to stay RWD. I'm not against a Halo car that has AWD...
Old 11-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

You completely miss the point of the v6 and Eco boost. Ford doesn't want these to be maximum performers they want them to be daily drivers. They will never put a 4/ 6 cylinder in a mustang that is close to GT power unless they do away with the v8 all together which probable won't happen anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

A tune already will have the ecoboost running near stock GT times bro... just a tune.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
A tune already will have the ecoboost running near stock GT times bro... just a tune.

Yeah but that is apples to oranges. Then the GT guys say "well if we tune were still faster." and it's never ending. what I'm saying is ford isn't going to have a base model with 400 hp for 25 k and then a base GT with 420 hp. At that point it hurts GT sales and sales for the more expensive car.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Yeah but that is apples to oranges. Then the GT guys say "well if we tune were still faster." and it's never ending. what I'm saying is ford isn't going to have a base model with 400 hp for 25 k and then a base GT with 420 hp. At that point it hurts GT sales and sales for the more expensive car.

I agree...the Ecoboost is just that! ECO...its a way to stay just a bit green while a model that has been guzzuling gas in the eyes of many. You buy the Ecoboost to get those extra MPGs while still having power and style...
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Do you still question the Ecoboost?

http://youtu.be/_IPo-spiMWA thought that was funny be careful after your third pass guys lol
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #134
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That is how to sort out some weak parts

I'm sure they will find out what broke and find a way to increase the strength so it won't happen again.
You have to remember that this is a brand new design and not really meant for anyone to put big slicks on it and dust the hell out of it.
I think it went pretty good for the first time out.

Of course they are talking naturally aspirated.

But to tell the truth, I would rather have the 3.7 V6 Turbo running around central Florida that gets 25 MPG and goes 10.7 and does not break.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm sure they will find out what broke and find a way to increase the strength so it won't happen again.
You have to remember that this is a brand new design and not really meant for anyone to put big slicks on it and dust the hell out of it.
I think it went pretty good for the first time out.

Of course they are talking naturally aspirated.

But to tell the truth, I would rather have the 3.7 V6 Turbo running around central Florida that gets 25 MPG and goes 10.7 and does not break.
Ronnie
You're right Ronnie, as usual. When I watched the video, first I thought "ohh, that's not good for Ford sales." But then I thought more, hey, Ford didn't design the car to do what they were doing to it. AM is a tuning company and they just got a new model to play with. Their job is to beat the hell out of it and figure out where it needs improvement. The only way to truly do that is to take it to its limit and break it. In the comments of the video AM says that it was the half-shaft. Now that they figured it out by breaking it, people who buy the new Mustang will know that they will need whatever upgrade the aftermarket comes up with before they do super-serious modding and tracking.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #136
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I really think it is going to be one great performance car

American Muscle, Steeda, Roush and Central Florida Motorsports along with other high performance shops will have this new Mustang all sorted out in no time at all.
It just takes things like this to show what needs to be done.
If their is a weakness design problem with the half shafts I'm betting Ford will probably do an online upgrade.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #137
Staff
Regular
Staff

IIRC you can get the FRPP shafts installed before your new 2015 ever leaves the dealer if you are good at haggling or just pay the extra $$.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind also that AM broke 2 S197 5.0 axles ... starting to wonder about them. The livernois car seems to be surviving just fine. Time will tell though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #139
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Livernois car is an Ecoboost, and an auto. Or I may be thinking of another one? Regardless an auto is going to be much easier on drivetrains while running better 1/4 times as any F body owner will attest. 0 idea why in the hell AM is doing drag runs with a stick but w/e.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

They have the same axles though, and i'd be willing to bet that EB is making more torque, is more along the lines of what i was getting at. An auto will be easier, but a 1.6 60' is a hard launch any way you cut it ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)