Do you still question the Ecoboost? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #141
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yes but the converter softens a lot of the hit to the rear end. As I said, plenty of F body owners know that the autos do not need to upgrade to a 12 bolt like the t56 cars do. Same basic principle here.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Fair enough, i've no experience drag racing an auto.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #143
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes but the converter softens a lot of the hit to the rear end. As I said, plenty of F body owners know that the autos do not need to upgrade to a 12 bolt like the t56 cars do. Same basic principle here.

Except the auto F bodies came stock with the 12 bolt. So they would be "upgrading" to the same thing.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #144
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Except the auto F bodies came stock with the 12 bolt. So they would be "upgrading" to the same thing.

No... they all came with 10 bolts. Unless there is some crazy special edition?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Sorry guys, I'm a little lost here... 10 bolts and 12 bolts? F body? Central flordia motorsports??! What is all this?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #146
Staff
Regular
Staff

10 bolt and 12 bolt are Chevy rears. Just like 7.5, 8.8 and 9" are Fords etc...

Old 11-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
All 3rd/4th gen F-body cars came with 7.5" 10 bolts. Basically the same rear end as an S10.

The T56 cars would just shear the gears from the shock of either leaving the line (dump clutch) or just banging gears, as I have personally done several times. I can't tell you how exciting it is to go for the 2-3 upshift and the gears just disintegrate at 90 MPH.

I personally had the record for fastest 100% stock 10 bolt, T56 F-body with an 11.40 @ 129.7 on street tires. I believe I am currently on my 4th stock 10 bolt.

I know plenty of auto guys that have ran 9's and 10's on stock 10 bolts with no issues.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #148
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The Ford eight inch differential is pretty strong.

Up to the 2014's it was always suggested to tack weld the axle housings.
It is probably about the same thing that needs to be done on the 2015's

CFM is Central Florida Motorsports.
Ford Focus, Mustang and Fiesta Performance Parts & Accessories - CFM Performance

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #149
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
All 3rd/4th gen F-body cars came with 7.5" 10 bolts. Basically the same rear end as an S10.

The T56 cars would just shear the gears from the shock of either leaving the line (dump clutch) or just banging gears, as I have personally done several times. I can't tell you how exciting it is to go for the 2-3 upshift and the gears just disintegrate at 90 MPH.

I personally had the record for fastest 100% stock 10 bolt, T56 F-body with an 11.40 @ 129.7 on street tires. I believe I am currently on my 4th stock 10 bolt.

I know plenty of auto guys that have ran 9's and 10's on stock 10 bolts with no issues.
I could have sworn the autos came with a 12 bolt..... Guess i was mistaken, i'll trust your F body knowledge over mine lol.

HID end all thread
Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I could have sworn the autos came with a 12 bolt..... Guess i was mistaken, i'll trust your F body knowledge over mine lol.
The 12 bolts were found in the Muscle car era F bodies along with basically every other GM muscle car, but 3rd and 4th gen Fbodies had tiny little 10 bolts. The auto cars did have different gearing, limited slip and there was the option of either a 3 or 4 channel setup. Basically the difference between ABS without traction control or ABS with TC.

Back on topic, has the EB broke any half shafts or anything yet?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #151
Staff
Regular
Staff

I think we'll find out when someone turns it up as far as it'll go on a MT82 equipped car. I highly doubt the auto 4 cyl is going to be snapping half shafts but we'll see.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Up to the 2014's it was always suggested to tack weld the axle housings.
It is probably about the same thing that needs to be done on the 2015's

CFM is Central Florida Motorsports.
Ford Focus, Mustang and Fiesta Performance Parts & Accessories - CFM Performance

Ronnie

There are no axle housings, because IRS.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #153
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Half Shaft

Half shaft assembley

Complete assembly

I'm saying it may be something similar or just replacing the half shafts with something Ford Racing or some other vendor has that will be stronger.
I guess we will find out after a few people start racing these power houses.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
There's a reason Ford Racing upgraded to heavy duty half shafts on all 3 cars when they went for the first SC 5.0 in the 10's, first 5.0 in the 11's, and first EB in the 12's.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #155
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I think we'll find out when someone turns it up as far as it'll go on a MT82 equipped car. I highly doubt the auto 4 cyl is going to be snapping half shafts but we'll see.
If anything i expect the ecoboost to break more of them because it puts down torque way sooner than the 5.0, and has the possibility to make better torque because of the turbo. While there may be a 120 horsepower difference between the EB and 5.0 there is only a 70 torque difference, which is easily solved by a minor bump in boost and a tune.

HID end all thread
Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #156
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The problem is this :::::::::::

When Ford or any other company makes a nice road car and calls it A high performance vehicle they just can't understand that there are people that buy these things and like to really use them. They need to learn about such things as racing slicks, Flat Shifting, Re tuning the computer for more power along with a few other modifications.
They make them just to drive on the street and never really use the car as a race car.

It's just really nice to have vendors that understand that some stuff is needed and they at a cost will provide what is needed if your gonna really enjoy the performance car you bought.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When Ford or any other company makes a nice road car and calls it A high performance vehicle they just can't understand that there are people that buy these things and like to really use them. They need to learn about such things as racing slicks, Flat Shifting, Re tuning the computer for more power along with a few other modifications.
They make them just to drive on the street and never really use the car as a race car.

It's just really nice to have vendors that understand that some stuff is needed and they at a cost will provide what is needed if your gonna really enjoy the performance car you bought.
Ronnie
I would imagine aftermarket performance companies companies wouldn't want Ford to really max the mustangs full potential of power. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #158
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If Ford did that----

really max the mustangs full potential of power It would not be much fun owning a Mustang anymore.
Ya might as well be driving a Ferrari or something else you can't even change the oil on.
What fun is having a car if you can't screw it up by modifying the heck out of it?
Just Kidding !!!
I think most of us on this as well as some other forums love our cars and like to personalize them. Some just like sheer power and go for that.
When American Muscle can put on a show that only includes Mustangs and no other cars, And about 4,000 show up it say's Ford is doing something right. Out of all of those Mustangs, It was hard to find two that were exactly alike.
It seems that the 2015 is going to be a huge success and there are already a billion item to modify it.
I was just reading about the kit to install a live axle that just installs in place of the independent rear suspension if you want it. I'll see if I can find the article again.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #159
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I don't think i would be able to own a car and not modify it. That may not be like extensive motor work. But just basic stuff like wheels, exhaust, lowering it and other standard stuff.

HID end all thread
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #160
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I found one Article about the live axle conversion

Check it out.
2015 Ford Mustang to offer solid-rear axle, sort of - Autoblog

I'll bet if they do have a conversion to go live axle, It will be costly.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Wow, well now it is starting to make sense and disappoint why people put Chevy motors and parts into their Mustangs. Anything else we can hybrid into our cars to give the Chevy guys more reasons to bash us?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Got an email from Lethal Performance that shows halfshaft upgrades already. Can't remember which company makes them though. It's not Ford Racing.

Jeremy
Old 11-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing has them made by Gforce Engineering per Kelly at BMR. Gforce says they've got 1500 whp cars using these halfshafts and have 0 reported failures. "Run them as hard as you want, you wont break them."
Old 11-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #164
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I wonder if there is any benefit using them when cornering....

HID end all thread
Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #165
Staff
Regular
Staff

Doesn't matter how strong they are, if the compliant rubber bushings in the new IRS allow too much wheel hop, they will still snap and even if they didn't, last thing anyone wants is to floor it and get said wheel hop. The 99-04 Cobras proved all of this but yes, this is a different design.

And as with the 99-04 Cobras, any IRS issues will be sorted by the aftermarket if Ford doesn't do it themselves. Those with pre 05 cars and an IRS will usually run the FTBR kit and have little-no wheel hop and running real big power numbers on the stock 03/04 half shafts.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't they been making mustangs long enough to know people race them and mod them for performance ??? Especially a Gt. C'mon...S197 didn't have that issue.

Also I agree on supercharged V6 vs V8 N/A.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #167
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Haven't they been making mustangs long enough to know people race them and mod them for performance ??? Especially a Gt. C'mon...S197 didn't have that issue.

Also I agree on supercharged V6 vs V8 N/A.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
This run of Mustangs is also global and ppl have been *****ing about the SRA since Ford decided to keep it. Remember, a large majority of Mustang owners will never modify them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)