Do you still question the Ecoboost? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do you still question the Ecoboost?

This is a livernois tuned car. It has 17" rims with tires (slicks I believe), the passenger seat removed, and a 93 octane tune. Pretty damn quick if you ask me for being virtually stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Worlds_fastest_EB_mustang_zps0b4de134.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	169007  
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's pretty damn quick. Still don't want one. I'd rather the 5.0 with less options at its price point.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post
That's pretty damn quick. Still don't want one. I'd rather the 5.0 with less options at its price point.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

+1! I'd take a bare base GT over an ecoboost premium/performance pack any day.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Conceptually YES !

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Never questioned it was quick. It's a stock turbo car, lots of potential. Personally it just wouldn't be an enjoyable car for me though.

I have a prejudice against 4 bangers lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I would love to have an Ecoboost. I already have my V8 Mustang that's modded up the wazoo. I'm going to need a DD soon since I am in no way going to commute in a car with a built suspension lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I love the engine personally. The power and technology are awesome. I love the 5.0 and would be hard for me to buy anything else in a Mustang but still admire the engine. I love the Ecoboost in the ranch 14 F150. The thing tows like a tank. I put a gooseneck full of cattle on it not long ago to see how it did. Couldn't tell anything was back there. Towed and handled like a bigger truck. I can only imagine what they'll be able to do with this engine.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415030925.354546.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	169041

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415030936.062889.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	169042

Old 11-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Attachment 169041

Attachment 169042

If you're gonna post comparison photos of the 2015 to a Fusion in every single 2015 thread, at least go out of your way to find more than those two to post, they're gettin' pretty old pretty quick. Just a friendly suggestion.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You also realize that nearly every brand does this correct? The new Impala and camaro share styling, most hyundais have the same front end, every single dodge has cross hairs on the front... Its called brand recognition and quite frankly, unless you think the fusion is a particularly bad looking car, its a pretty weak argument.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't say anything...

Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Attachment 169041

Attachment 169042

are you going to cry now? if you dont like then you dont like stop your *****ing
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415032706.489404.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	169049Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415032712.369848.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	169050

Old 11-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can't even talk about the engines without what the damn car looks like creeping into every thread. Jesus.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Never questioned it was quick. It's a stock turbo car, lots of potential. Personally it just wouldn't be an enjoyable car for me though.

I have a prejudice against 4 bangers lol

i feel like we all have prejudices about 4 bangers if we all have mustangs..

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
xsixxerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsixxerx View Post
i feel like we all have prejudices about 4 bangers if we all have mustangs..

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer

Thank you! There you go...

Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

needs more torque if ya ask me..

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if you're being sarcastic... The car that posted this time slip makes 400+ in the 3500 range, and carries 375+ to just over 4000 rpms and still over 350 well into the mid range Bone stock with just a 93 tune...
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

haha im kidding. im not a thick headed v8 only guy. while it is impressive i wish they stuck it into a ford focus rs not a mustang.

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

numbers dont lie!

-Nicky Sheena Sixxer
Old 11-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Did they use the Eco boost on fusions?

sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
Did they use the Eco boost on fusions?

Yes, on the higher trim level ones.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

What I want to know is how reliable these are compared to our 3.7 engine.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
What I want to know is how reliable these are compared to our 3.7 engine.

Only time will tell. The ecoboost in the f150s seems to be pretty good aside from a few select issues(some people reporting surging in extreme cold). There was actually an infomercial/documentary on the f150 ecoboost, that showed after 150k-ish miles of EXTREME abuse they tore down the motor at I think SEMA and the motor was still within new factory tolerances. I haven't heard any huge complaints about the SHO or STs.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

All 3 completely different motors. The bottom end is EXTREMELY robust on these EB 2.3s, but obviously an overly ambitious (or just bad) tune will ruin any good motor.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You have to understand how a stock turbo works to understand why they build power the way they do. Torque is a derivative of spool basically, and most stock turbos are honestly too small for their engines.

What this means is they spool VERY fast, giving you blistering torque, but losing the ability to really flow in the upper RPMS, almost no stock turbo can flow to factory redline. This explains your gap between WTQ and WHP. Keep in mind though, this car is making more at the wheels than it does at the crank with just a tune... very impressive. With more flow mods this tune would shape up nicely, and that torque would get pushed further into the rev range, but even now you'll see at 4000 you're still around 375.

Honestly, turbos hit fast, but they don't hit instant. a good 245 tire is enough to hook 380-400 wtq at between 3800 and 4400 rpms, ask me how I know . This is why turbo cars are so quick honestly, they're able to get a massive jump on most whatever they're racing, and its much harder to catch up than it is to jump ahead.

I'd put money that the pretty much cookie cutter numbers for this car are going to be ~350 whp and ~380 wtq on 93 pump gas, which is pretty damn solid.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You have to understand how a stock turbo works to understand why they build power the way they do. Torque is a derivative of spool basically, and most stock turbos are honestly too small for their engines.

What this means is they spool VERY fast, giving you blistering torque, but losing the ability to really flow in the upper RPMS, almost no stock turbo can flow to factory redline. This explains your gap between WTQ and WHP. Keep in mind though, this car is making more at the wheels than it does at the crank with just a tune... very impressive. With more flow mods this tune would shape up nicely, and that torque would get pushed further into the rev range, but even now you'll see at 4000 you're still around 375.

Honestly, turbos hit fast, but they don't hit instant. a good 245 tire is enough to hook 380-400 wtq at between 3800 and 4400 rpms, ask me how I know . This is why turbo cars are so quick honestly, they're able to get a massive jump on most whatever they're racing, and its much harder to catch up than it is to jump ahead.

I'd put money that the pretty much cookie cutter numbers for this car are going to be ~350 whp and ~380 wtq on 93 pump gas, which is pretty damn solid.
I was looking at the science behind variable geometry turbos to address the main issue you brought up. Very interesting stuff. They have a VERY wide, stable powerband.

Also as Carol Shelby once said: Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. Lol

Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I saw your post on those the other day. I remember Porsche was using those (still may be) and having incredible results with them. Basically you don't have to choose a big or small turbo, you get the best of both.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I saw your post on those the other day. I remember Porsche was using those (still may be) and having incredible results with them. Basically you don't have to choose a big or small turbo, you get the best of both.
I'm looking into it for mine, maybe I can work something out with LPF, we'll see.

Other than my V6, id be interested to see how it would do on the Ecoboost to replace the Twin Scroll.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, those turbos are quite expensive, and the Twin scroll is pretty damn good. What I honestly expect to see is sort of Hybrid turbos, which are fairly common in the 4 cylinder world.

Basically, you take the stock turbine side (so it just drops right back in with no modifications) but upgrade the compressor side so the turbo flows more. You'll still end up with that same kind of stock turbo power band, a big torque swell and a kind of HP plateau (instead of a climb like NA) but it will be substantially (typically as much as 50-70 whp) higher than what the stock turbo could do. a $1000 drop in turbo for over 400 whp from the ecoboost? Sounds good.

Also, with the advances in VVT, assuming your tuner knows how to operate them, you can spool damn near any turbo be it single scroll, twin, or VGT.
I got a little carried away on my last car lol, I had a 65 lb/min GTx3576 turbo on a 2.3L mazdaspeed3... needless to say it lagged a little haha. If I floored it at 3500 rpms I'd have ~20 psi by 4000 give or take, so not terrible, but hardly instant. I started flirting with the VVT, and with very little intake cam advance I was over 31 psi at 4000 rpms still flooring it from 3500. Not saying don't get a VGT turbo if you can make it work for a good price, but basically saying the modern engine is more capable than most modern turbos.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly, those turbos are quite expensive, and the Twin scroll is pretty damn good. What I honestly expect to see is sort of Hybrid turbos, which are fairly common in the 4 cylinder world.

Basically, you take the stock turbine side (so it just drops right back in with no modifications) but upgrade the compressor side so the turbo flows more. You'll still end up with that same kind of stock turbo power band, a big torque swell and a kind of HP plateau (instead of a climb like NA) but it will be substantially (typically as much as 50-70 whp) higher than what the stock turbo could do. a $1000 drop in turbo for over 400 whp from the ecoboost? Sounds good.

Also, with the advances in VVT, assuming your tuner knows how to operate them, you can spool damn near any turbo be it single scroll, twin, or VGT.
I got a little carried away on my last car lol, I had a 65 lb/min GTx3576 turbo on a 2.3L mazdaspeed3... needless to say it lagged a little haha. If I floored it at 3500 rpms I'd have ~20 psi by 4000 give or take, so not terrible, but hardly instant. I started flirting with the VVT, and with very little intake cam advance I was over 31 psi at 4000 rpms still flooring it from 3500. Not saying don't get a VGT turbo if you can make it work for a good price, but basically saying the modern engine is more capable than most modern turbos.
Fair points there. At this stage it's just something that's perked my interest, more research is definitely needed before I pull the trigger. So far the only VGTs I could find are for diesels . I'm sure Garrett would make one that works. I haven't seen that Precision makes any VGTs, it may be buried in their catalog though.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly don't think you'll find one for the reasons I listed above; expensive and excessive. I agree though, they are pretty damn cool.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Honestly I think the only ppl who doubted the ecoboost would do this are kids who ricer bash and have never driven a modern turbo 4 but whatevs. Its a beast and will continue to only get better as the tuners get more time with it and more parts become available for it. This is the motor that will also be in the upcoming Focus RS. Imagine these sorts of numbers out of a lighter AWD torque vectoring hatch.

And as far as the looks, ppl need to seriously get the hell over it already. Yeah I'm not sold on them either but there are plenty who are and to each their own. Who the **** cares if it looks like a Fusion? There are a ****ton of cherry 11-14 5.0s out there and even some leftover 14s still. If you like those better, get one. Its not like anyone is being forced at gunpoint to get a 15 over a 11-14 car... Not to mention that the 11-14s are probably going to come DOWN in price as more ppl trade in their 11-14s. There is also the new Challenger and the upcoming 2016 LT1 Camaro to look at if one MUST have brand new and hates the S550 so much.

Anyways getting back to the Livernois 2.3L, those numbers were made on an auto btw and it seems Ford got it right with the IRS. 1.6 60ft with the dreaded IRS although I'd like to see how it holds up to something like a 5.0 with a 250 shot and slicks. That might be where we start to see snapped halfshafts. Or maybe not.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Honestly I think the only ppl who doubted the ecoboost would do this are kids who ricer bash and have never driven a modern turbo 4 but whatevs. Its a beast and will continue to only get better as the tuners get more time with it and more parts become available for it. This is the motor that will also be in the upcoming Focus RS. Imagine these sorts of numbers out of a lighter AWD torque vectoring hatch.

And as far as the looks, ppl need to seriously get the hell over it already. Yeah I'm not sold on them either but there are plenty who are and to each their own. Who the **** cares if it looks like a Fusion? There are a ****ton of cherry 11-14 5.0s out there and even some leftover 14s still. If you like those better, get one. Its not like anyone is being forced at gunpoint to get a 15 over a 11-14 car... Not to mention that the 11-14s are probably going to come DOWN in price as more ppl trade in their 11-14s. There is also the new Challenger and the upcoming 2016 LT1 Camaro to look at if one MUST have brand new and hates the S550 so much.

Anyways getting back to the Livernois 2.3L, those numbers were made on an auto btw and it seems Ford got it right with the IRS. 1.6 60ft with the dreaded IRS although I'd like to see how it holds up to something like a 5.0 with a 250 shot and slicks. That might be where we start to see snapped halfshafts. Or maybe not.
I think the hardcore drag folks will still go with the 11-14s. I would like to see what a properly built 15 could do on a road course where the IRS really shines.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yes, on the higher trim level ones.

Are you sure about that? My parents have two titaniums, the hybrid and the plug-in, but I didn't see the EB available when they were shopping for them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)