2015 3.7 Vs 2015 2.3 ecoboost - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If I were to ever buy a 4 banger I would not mess with the exhaust. I heard that 4 banger with an off road x pipe and it was pathetic and embarrassing. Sounded like my leaf blower. Better to just leave it quiet. Just like a Porsche's exhaust tone, quiet. Fast but quiet!

I would buy the 4 banger but leave that ***** quiet.

Why buy an aftermarket exhaust when you can just turn up your speakers for sound. (x

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Why did the 3.7 intake need to be changed to clear the hood but a 5.0 fits under the hood without a problem?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Why did the 3.7 intake need to be changed to clear the hood but a 5.0 fits under the hood without a problem?

The 5.0 engine is lower in the first place, compared to the 3.7, even in the 2011-14. That's why some of the strut tower braces that fit on the 5.0 don't fit on the 3.7.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudv6 View Post
Is anyone a little disappointed that they cut back 5hp on the v6 even though it isn't much and most likely did nothing because it was just 5hp from the crank

The car is heavier, might be why.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post

Sent from my Mustang.
It's that a joke?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

Sent from my Mustang.
That does nothing for crank hp. Rotational mass only affects whp

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
It's that a joke?

Yes.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yes.

Sent from my Mustang.
Okay good lol

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

2011-2014 v6 hands down

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Ecoboost because for daily driving I spend 99% of my time in the low rpm range, which is where the V6 is lacking.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #46
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Ecoboost because for daily driving I spend 99% of my time in the low rpm range, which is where the V6 is lacking.

This ^

And better mpg.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Personally I'm starting to like the look of the 15'. At the five year facelift mark (2020) I'll probably pick up an ECO.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Just a fun and friendly topic! Which one would you choose to purchase if you had to pick one of the listed models and why? Also, buying a 5.0 is not an option for this little topic. 😎

My vote would be the 2.3 echoboost for my purchase because a tune alone nets huge power gains. Gains that not all the bolt on mods to my 3.7 would net me power such as the echoboost does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
I'd go back and travel back in time one year and re purchase my 14 v6 mustang lol.
I always resist responding your daily trolling posts, but this one is so ridiculous I just can't resist feeding the troll. Kona asks this interesting question which is multiple choice A and B, and asks for reasons for your choice. The question gives a twist to a topic that has been beaten to death since February, and it leads to an interesting discussion that gives us an idea of how the EB might fare against the V6 amongst Mustang enthusiasts. And you pick choice C and give no reasons. Which is even more useless of a response since they have the same engine. Now before you say "it's an open forum I can say whatever I want" I'll just say, sure you can say whatever you want. But I can still call you out on adding zero value to this conversation.

Sorry to everybody else if this creates some pointless debate on an otherwise great thread. I just had to get this one off my chest because it was annoying me a lot. I'm off to work and not even going to respond to whatever he or anyone says as a comeback because I don't want to spend my day arguing with stubborn strangers on the internet over stupid things.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I always resist responding your daily trolling posts, but this one is so ridiculous I just can't resist feeding the troll. Kona asks this interesting question which is multiple choice A and B, and asks for reasons for your choice. The question gives a twist to a topic that has been beaten to death since February, and it leads to an interesting discussion that gives us an idea of how the EB might fare against the V6 amongst Mustang enthusiasts. And you pick choice C and give no reasons. Which is even more useless of a response since they have the same engine. Now before you say "it's an open forum I can say whatever I want" I'll just say, sure you can say whatever you want. But I can still call you out on adding zero value to this conversation.

Sorry to everybody else if this creates some pointless debate on an otherwise great thread. I just had to get this one off my chest because it was annoying me a lot. I'm off to work and not even going to respond to whatever he or anyone says as a comeback because I don't want to spend my day arguing with stubborn strangers on the internet over stupid things.
?????????? Did I miss something?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would take the v6. Taking the options out of the equation the v6 can make more power on Stock internals. It's also in the same neighborhood for mpg. After seeing g cat the EB may be limited to 400 hp on stock ints having the turbo would be no more a benefit to me than being able to push another 100 hp to the wheels.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post
I would take the v6. Taking the options out of the equation the v6 can make more power on Stock internals. It's also in the same neighborhood for mpg. After seeing g cat the EB may be limited to 400 hp on stock ints having the turbo would be no more a benefit to me than being able to push another 100 hp to the wheels.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This max crank HP on the 4 banger is very interesting and change my thought process. I was really surprised too hear these recommended max crank power numbers. The 3.7 engine block can handle far more power.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I would not be surprised at all to see 500+ whp on the stock EB internal limits. That motor will take WELL above 400 whp if tuned properly.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I would not be surprised at all to see 500+ whp on the stock EB internal limits. That motor will take WELL above 400 whp if tuned properly.
I wonder why Livernois is giving this warning. Aren't they a highly reputable turbo tuning company that are very familiar with the ecoboost engine?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

There are several different factors that go into a turbo car's powerband. Every single V6 on this board, regardless of what WHP they're actually making, makes the peak power at about the same rpm.

The same could be said about a turbo car that is tuned "reasonably," but in the end, you can vary peak torque and peak rpm tremendously based on what kind of powerband you want. With the kind of low end torque Livernois is making, i would not be surprised if their motor doesnt last forever, but they're only making mid to low 300's for whp ... think about that as well.

With a reasonable torque peak for 380-400, at a reasonable rpm of 3800-4200, i could see this motor surviving 450-500 whp almost indefinetly based on its architecture. Its moreso the torque that breaks things than HP in a turbos case. Hell, we've seen plenty of turbo 4's with inferior architechture to the EB4 making ~500 whp. The tradeoff here however is they're normally with very large turbos and making only ~350 wtq give or take to keep the motor alive.

There is always a trade off, as sometimes the lower whp but higher wtq car is the faster one, but really it just depends. Based on my experience with the ancient mazdaspeed3 though and the amount of 400 whp stock block motors i (and many others) have tuned, the EB threshold will (or at least should ...) be well above 400 whp.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #55
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I wonder what the exhaust sound is going to be like once the Borla/Magnaflow/Flowmaster ect. get a hold of this.

Maybe WRXish?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

It will not sound like a WRX at all. Subaru's only sound that way due to their 'unique' exhaust manifold design. The ecoboost should sound pretty much like any other turbo inline 4 with a similarly designed exhaust system.

You can follow my Ford based 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
@GarageOdyssey (instagram and twitter)
Driven5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Of a choice between the Ecoboost and the V6 2015 Mustang, I would go with the EB. Having test driven one, it is a very well balanced setup and would be great on a road course. The lack of options kills the V6 model for me. However, in 2-3 years, I will probably go with the 5.0 before the feds kill it.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

While I do see a LOT of potential with the EBs, if I were to buy a turbo 4 car, it wouldn't be a Mustang. It would be an Evo (RIP) or an STI. My reasoning is that they've been around forever and the aftermarket support and tuning knowledge is out of this world.

For a Mustang, V6 or V8 only imo.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I wonder what the exhaust sound is going to be like once the Borla/Magnaflow/Flowmaster ect. get a hold of this.

Maybe WRXish?

Go to youtube a search mustang 2015 ecoboost exhaust and you will see a tons of videos with ford racing exhaust made by borla. The car just sounds so so terrible that is better to not even change the stock exhaust.

My old Veloster Turbo sounded 100x better with just a magnaflow muffler and that car had a 1.8L engine lol.

Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

2015 3.7 Vs 2015 2.3 ecoboost

Good grief my old PT Cruiser with Magnaflows sounded better than that. Absolutely terrible.

Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I searched for giggles. Wow. My leaf blower in the garage sounds better. Even the 5.0, (the ones I heard out for the 15 so far) sounds neutered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #62
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Go to youtube a search mustang 2015 ecoboost exhaust and you will see a tons of videos with ford racing exhaust made by borla. The car just sounds so so terrible that is better to not even change the stock exhaust.

My old Veloster Turbo sounded 100x better with just a magnaflow muffler and that car had a 1.8L engine lol.

Well that's disappointing.

I was being a wishful thinker.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah the ecoboost with any sort of exhaust upgrade sounds like a can rattling. Ford needs to make it sound like the subies if they want real mustang enthusiasts to want the car.
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Yeah the ecoboost with any sort of exhaust upgrade sounds like a can rattling. Ford needs to make it sound like the subies if they want real mustang enthusiasts to want the car.
Doubt they will make a boxer (horizontally opposed) engine to appease Mustang owners. It's an inline 4, it will sound like nearly every other inline 4.

Hell, if they could make it sound like the Dodge SRT-4's that would be nice as it's one of the best sounding inline 4's ever. Instead the EB sounds like a vacuum cleaner that's three rooms away. Unless of course, you are inside the car, then it makes the 5.0 sound weak.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #65
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Doubt they will make a boxer (horizontally opposed) engine to appease Mustang owners. It's an inline 4, it will sound like nearly every other inline 4.

Hell, if they could make it sound like the Dodge SRT-4's that would be nice as it's one of the best sounding inline 4's ever. Instead the EB sounds like a vacuum cleaner that's three rooms away. Unless of course, you are inside the car, then it makes the 5.0 sound weak.

I don't know a lot about the SRT-4 but why does it sound different than other I4s? They do sound pretty good.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I don't know a lot about the SRT-4 but why does it sound different than other I4s? They do sound pretty good.
The factory exhaust doesn't have any mufflers and was tuned to produce noises similar to a V8. That is why they sort of sound like boxer engines. Not to mention, it is a 2.4L inline 4, so it will produce more of a lower frequency sound than a smaller engine would.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Honestly, that's the sound of inefficiency. It's a dramatically unequal length manifold. Make it equal length, and it sounds pretty much like a typical inline 4 and will gain power in the process. The same can actually work in reverse too. Make an exhaust manifold for any inline 4, with the right (wrong) set of unequal lengths, and it will sound pretty much like a tractor...er...Subaru. But if that's the sound "real Mustang enthusiasts" want, who am I to argue.

Looking at the the SRT-4 manifold, I would guess that its sound is at least partially (primarily?) the result of a similar phenomenon...Just to a lesser extent. That might help explain how they still maintain some of that sound characteristic even with aftermarket exhausts, and why aftermarket exhausts on other turbo 4's still don't sound like that.

You can follow my Ford based 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
@GarageOdyssey (instagram and twitter)
Driven5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Eco all the way if I had a gun to my head and had to choose one. And with an auto.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Why would you put the ecoboost and 3.7 nun the SAME grouping? The ecoboost is no where near the same, besides body, as the 3.7 and should have its own section in the forum. Way to be lazy...
Old 12-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Why would you put the ecoboost and 3.7 nun the SAME grouping? The ecoboost is no where near the same, besides body, as the 3.7 and should have its own section in the forum. Way to be lazy...
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)