2015 ecoboost engine noise help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2015 ecoboost engine noise help.

My ecoboost is makeing this noise when the engine is off and will do it for like 20 minutes straight at a time what is this??

http://youtu.be/iKIsv4Z35cA

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude0715 View Post
My ecoboost is makeing this noise when the engine is off and will do it for like 20 minutes straight at a time what is this??

http://youtu.be/iKIsv4Z35cA

most likely exhaust cooling off, couldn't really hear from your video
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
most likely exhaust cooling off, couldn't really hear from your video

Yeah it could be I just thought it was odd seems like it's coming from the turbo side I think. Mabey blowoff valve? Idk this car is very new to me not like my 3v

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The turbos are water and oil cooled, and if they get really hot, the car will continue to circulate the cooling to prevent coking of the bearings.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
The turbos are water and oil cooled, and if they get really hot, the car will continue to circulate the cooling to prevent coking of the bearings.

So this is the sound? Or could be. It's just a weird sound I've never heard before

Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My Mini Cooper did the same thing

It is supposed to do what it is doing, It is cooling off the Turbo and the fan will shut off when not needed.
A lot of people with a turbo car have no clue on how important this is.

One thing that is important that the Factory or dealer will never tell a Turbo buyer is that it is really hard on a turbo car to just start it up and move it a few feet and shut it off. If your just moving it out of your garage to wash the car ,You should at least drive it around the block. Don't just move the car 20 feet and shut it off due to turbo bearing wear.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It is supposed to do what it is doing, It is cooling off the Turbo and the fan will shut off when not needed.

A lot of people with a turbo car have no clue on how important this is.

One thing that is important that the Factory or dealer will never tell a Turbo buyer is that it is really hard on a turbo car to just start it up and move it a few feet and shut it off. If your just moving it out of your garage to wash the car ,You should at least drive it around the block. Don't just move the car 20 feet and shut it off due to turbo bearing wear.

Ronnie

Thanks for the advice man. I'm new to this thing I will definlty take your advice. It was just a weird sound I've never heard before. Cool deal.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I love a turbo car

I'm sure the bearings used in the Ford turbo may not be as sensitive as the ones used in my Mini "JOHN COOPER WORKS" turbo but I would still not just move the car 20 or 30 feet and shut it off on a cold engine. ( Up to temperature engine would be fine)
I learned this from some of my friends with Turbo Porches and some other track cars when I was tracking.
Only time will tell how long the Turbos on any of these newer cars will hold up without problems. They sure can produce a lot of power though on a small engine with good MPG.
I think the Turbo is the thing all cars will have in the future.
Ronnie
Old 09-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

The other thing that I've always believed about turbos (and I don't know if this is still true as well as the Ford turbo bearings are water and oil cooled)......I never climb a mountain pass or after a really hot twisty road section, where I know the turbos are spooling at extremely high rpm's and then pull over and turn the car off right away.
It does sound like Ford continues to apply cooling to the bearings in this situation, but I always try to stop after a mile or so of easy driving......not always possible, I know.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
No turbo timer?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
No turbo timer?
I don't think so, as both turbo cars I've had were factory turbos. I remember one time climbing out of Death Valley in my '87 Turbo T Bird. Five people in the car, 115 degrees outside, A/C on, temp gauge almost pegged!
I turned off the air halfway up, and opened the hood at the top. The turbo plumbing was dark cherry red......didn't turn the car off because of that.
The other turbo vehicles we owned were a couple of EcoBoost F 150's, and we used those to tow 29 foot travel trailers for many thousands of miles. As the EB in that truck was only 213 cubic inches, I KNOW the turbos were spooled up almost all the time when towing. I tried never to shut it off after a long tow....uphill or not.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude0715 View Post
So this is the sound? Or could be. It's just a weird sound I've never heard before

no the water and oil quit as soon as you shut down engine,this why you are suppose to leave running for a few if you have been running it hard..the exhaust will creek and pop for several minutes as it cools down
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I had an Esslinger Engineering prep'd motor in my 88 Turbo Coupe and one of things that was stressed to me was if you ran the car hard and are going to stop and turn off the motor..................never, ever......just turn it off. You need to let it idle for 2 to 3 minutes to let the oil and turbo cool down. If you look at a helicopter when it lands.........they let the turbine idle for up to 5 minutes before shutting it down.........same principal. I would assume that Ford has taken this to heart and would keep the coolant running to help cool the unit down.
I can't say anything about the new turbo's and assume they have ceramic bearings and better oiling systems than my 88 Garret did...........just one only experience with a turbo.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

These factories all know how people would react.

What I'm saying is that they take the fact that not many people (MOST OF THEM) are not about to sit and let the car idle and cool off for a few minutes after parking it. What they did was add a dummy proof way of just letting people shut the car off and walk away. It is to let the fan and "whatever" run to cool down the turbo if needed.
It works and I would think a sales person would mention this when a person picks up their new car.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people pull into their garage and when they hear the fan running, Call the dealer to see what is wrong with the car they just bought.

Ford has been using Turbo chargers on all of their products and seem to not have any problems that I heard of so I guess they got it all dialed in.

Ronnie
Old 09-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The cars dont keep the coolant running per se since they aren't equipped with an electric water pump (at least i'm fairly certain they aren't), but the coolant does keep circulation due to a phenomenon called Percolation. Basically, the coolant will "heat soak," and evaporate, which allows fresh coolant to move in and take its place. The fan will stay on to cool things off, but the coolant is naturally moving until the items in question move below the waters boiling point. This is why most coolant cooled turbos are mounted below the thermostat.

There's a Garrett white paper on this somewhere regarding thermal siphoning, but i cant find it right now. Basically, coolant was added to aid the turbos during engine shut off (to absorb heat soak from the oil and bearings) more so than it was to help when the engine is actually running. Still never a bad idea to let things cool off, but the addition of coolant has made a turbo's life much easier once the motor is off.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)