Enclosed cai, restrictive? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Enclosed cai, restrictive?

So im looking at buying the
AIRAID COLD AIR INTAKE - SYNTHAFLOW OILED FILTER - RED
From americanmuscle but correct me if im wrong but the whole idea of replacing the oem box is because it is so restrictive being enclosed compared to aftermarket ones that allow the intake to breathe... but now shopping for one, im finding the aftermarket ones to look just as enclosed... so my question is...

Does it being enclosed defeat the purpose?

Does it take away the added sound (that i enjoy) of an open cai?

And what exactly does oiled filter mean?

Thanks! Heres a link to it if you want to see the enclosed housing, it really looks restrictive.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-synthaflow-cai-15eco.html
Malonjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Honestly, yes, i believe it being enclosed defeats the purpose. We haven't had a chance to compile and analyze all the data yet, but yesterday a friend and i did some testing on the v6 platform and i don't want to spill the beans yet, but the results are interesting. We should have all the data compiled by the end of the week hopefully. I know that's the v6 and not the EB, but id expect the EB to have even higher airflow demands than a relatively stock v6.

oiling the filter is just adding another element to the filtration. Its basically a "higher flowing" filter that uses a light coat of oil to catch more contaminants. You have to be careful not to over oil though, because they can gum up sensors post filter like a MAF or MAP.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Been proven over and over and over again that the stock CAI is not restrictive. At all. Buy it for looks, not performance.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldnt be so sure about that. We'll just compile and display all the data we got yesterday (over 15 different datalogs and variations, so the data will be well averaged) and let people make their own decisions.

Also, on a turbo car an intake is huge improvement, and its not uncommon to run an intake 1.5 to 2x the size of the stock one.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Stock is best. Everything else is ricer poser bait.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I would like to see actual airflow and dyno data to make a statement that bold. I have been tuning turbo cars for a long time, and i know the stock mustang pieces aren't bad, but if you're trying to tell me there is zero gain lol... im going to need to see something for it.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
We all know you despise CAI's. Provide some actual information or move along.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
An "inclosed" CAI would be the only way I'd consider one; the ones that are open, or have the rubber seal that is supposed to seal against the hood allow warmed underhood engine heat to be sucked into the intake. Remember, it's called a Cold Air Intake, so unless it's sealed, and draws air from the outside, it would be silly to consider one in my book, unless you want eye candy under the hood.

And I'm on the same park bench as those who state the stock CAI provided with our Mustangs flow great they way they are.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

All i will say is that even if the air is "hotter," the final air flow numbers at the MAF account for density. If you register a higher G/s value with an open element filter, you are making more power. Period.

Now, how much power*, that is the real discussion; whether its actually an appreciable amount or not.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
what are your goals? idk but I assume you will not get more air flow from anything unless the difference is in the filtration level of the filter. With an open one you'll get more sound and mayhap a bit less power due to extra heat
Old 10-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Volume > Temperature in my personal opinion. Like i said, we got lots of data above, but im trying not to make any premature assumptions. I'll just step out of this discussion for the time being and post our results in the v6 section and link here.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP - It's looking like you've already received some solid info here and I'd side with what's being said in regards to it being closed. Buck's right and at the end of the day these parts are meant to stuff cool, dense air into this car. Turbos will benefit much better along with yielding better throttle response, hp, and tq as they love air! I haven't personally seen a dyno yet with this on a stock eb for comparison but like any other turbocharged car, it's definitely going to flow better than stock. Flame suit is on.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Thanks everyone for the input, i'll be excited for the data results from you voltwings, looks like its pretty much split between, colder air and more volume of air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
what are your goals? idk but I assume you will not get more air flow from anything unless the difference is in the filtration level of the filter. With an open one you'll get more sound and mayhap a bit less power due to extra heat
I think you're right strange, i'm going to have to just decide on what i want more.
I installed a open cai on my 2012 mustang and the sound was amazing. Really made me enjoy driving it more, so i'd really hate to lose that.
Malonjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You can always look towards Steeda for the CAI - Steeda ProFlow Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake - No Tune Required (15-16 V6) | 555-3206 | Free Shipping!

Let me know if I can help assist with any questions or help with ordering ... happy to help!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I would like to see actual airflow and dyno data to make a statement that bold. I have been tuning turbo cars for a long time, and i know the stock mustang pieces aren't bad, but if you're trying to tell me there is zero gain lol... im going to need to see something for it.
Here's a Steeda dyno that I thought was interesting because it shows a couple of competitors CAI with a HP gain over stock. Untuned and obviously a GT.
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-tune-added-to-comparison.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	192676
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A closed box design can flow just as well as an open filter just depending on how it is setup.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. People need to stop making the statement 'CAI are useless on all cars'. It is entirely dependent on the type of car and the quality of what is being removed. One the 11-14 Mustangs Ford had a great design so there is little to be gained aftermarket (especially without a tune). But on earlier models and other cars if the stock intake is crap with a lot of restrictive bends you will benefits more from an aftermarket one.

With that being said I have not read anything on the 15+ cars or if Ford redesigned the intake so really not sure if it is restrictive compared to aftermarket units.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
I'm not sure who is saying a CAI is useless on ALL cars... Its not really going to gain you anything on any Mustang after 1993 except for the look factor. Definitely going to be a case by case basis on make/model though.

I mean... on a 1999 Civic SI apparently they add 50whp and another 5 or 10 if you get the red filter version.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Volume > Temperature in my personal opinion. Like i said, we got lots of data above, but im trying not to make any premature assumptions. I'll just step out of this discussion for the time being and post our results in the v6 section and link here.
I'm interested to see the final results on your tests. For me volume would be limited to tb opening and engine requirements, the engine is not going to consume more air then it requires, and the stock air box is not restrictive, hotter air is less dense and would produce less hp Imo, I hope I'm wrong and my $300 piece of eye candy is actually good for something other then sound, but I'm sceptical, and my butt dyno doesn't give me any reason to be optimistic.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
You can always look towards Steeda for the CAI - Steeda ProFlow Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake - No Tune Required (15-16 V6) | 555-3206 | Free Shipping!

Let me know if I can help assist with any questions or help with ordering ... happy to help!

Best Regards,

TJ
Steeda offers a "No Tune Required" for the GT's as well as this "No Tune Required" for 15-16 V6. Why not a restrictor insert for No tune required for the 11-14 V6?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I think the area of the filter is another contributing variable besides the filtration level.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A stock Mustang intake filter.

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-ford-shelby-gt350-mustang-engine-shot.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	193134  
Old 11-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I strongly believed in K and N filters on all my vehicles for many years, until I read about their filtration qualities. One of these articles said to take the filter and hold it up to the sun. Now THAT was eye opening on a filter that had been cleaned once or twice and re-oiled! You could see open spaces where there was NO filtration, and many very bright places where there had to be nearly none. I took them off both vehicles immediately and never looked back.
I figure that Ford invests billions of dollars designing the Mustang and its engine, and the last thing they are going to do when they are in a HP race with the Camaro is say to themselves......"hey, let's put an air filter and intake piping on it that cuts the HP down. It's just got too much flow right now!"
Just keep in mind that increased flow ALWAYS comes at the cost of less filtration effectiveness. Now, how MUCH filtration you are willing to trade away is a very important decision when choosing a CAI.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
1. I figure that Ford invests billions of dollars designing the Mustang and its engine, and the last thing they are going to do when they are in a HP race with the Camaro is say to themselves......"hey, let's put an air filter and intake piping on it that cuts the HP down. It's just got too much flow right now!"
2. Just keep in mind that increased flow ALWAYS comes at the cost of less filtration effectiveness. Now, how MUCH filtration you are willing to trade away is a very important decision when choosing a CAI.
1. Well, i think you're confusing "Good" and "good enough" as far as the manufacturer is concerned. There are always compromises, if there werent, the 3.7 mustang would make 400 whp and cost $60k you know...

2. The very basic flaw i see in this argument is you're not taking surface area into account. If you double the surface area and maintain the same filtration level, are you trying to tell me there's no increase in flow?

I know i promised results a while back, but Sakib and i both work full time, and i am in school as well, so something of this magnitude just takes time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Tags
cai