What model? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What model?

Should i get the 2016 GT, V6 or Ecoboost, I heard the ecoboost with the right tune it can be at around 350HP is that true? Im 18 so if i get a GT It's gonna be expensive monthly payments and/or insurance
asvpedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
GT.

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
at 18 unless you are rich a new GT is a poor financial choice. drive both the I4 and V6 for help in picking between those two. As an old timey guy I prefer the simplicity of a V6 over a turbo 4 but know the V6 is being phased out.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
at 18 unless you are rich a new GT is a poor financial choice. drive both the I4 and V6 for help in picking between those two. As an old timey guy I prefer the simplicity of a V6 over a turbo 4 but know the V6 is being phased out.

I currently have a 2014 v6 but I've always wanted a turbo car
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Is the ecoboost faster than the v6 if they both have the same mods installed? Example Tune, Intake and Exhaust?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
GT if you can afford it otherwise I say the Eco.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It sounds like you have checked what the insurance rates are going to be for the GT.....can you afford that?
And, check with your insurance agent to see what your rates would be after making one claim of any kind. THAT is where your rates could skyrocket.
A new V6 with nice custom wheels and tires would be a great choice for you now, I think.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asvpedwin View Post
Should i get the 2016 GT, V6 or Ecoboost, I heard the ecoboost with the right tune it can be at around 350HP is that true? Im 18 so if i get a GT It's gonna be expensive monthly payments and/or insurance
I don't know what changes were made for the same EcoBoost engine in the new Focus RS, but the 2.3 EB in that car does make 350 HP from the factory. Seems like the Mustang got shorted, and I wonder if the 2.3 EB for 2017 is going to have the same (350) HP in the Mustang.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
the difference in performance between the I4/V6 is way less than the depreciation cost of trading your 6 for a 4
Old 02-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Well, if you've always wanted a turbo, I say go for the EcoBoost. The EcoBoost has a lot more HP and torque than the sixxer anyways
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Well, if you've always wanted a turbo, I say go for the EcoBoost. The EcoBoost has a lot more HP and torque than the sixxer anyways

I'd hardly call 10 hp a lot. 40tq, nothing to slouch at. That 40 is available lower in the rpm range however.

I'll hold out for an eco 6 or 8.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I'd hardly call 10 hp a lot. 40tq, nothing to slouch at. That 40 is available lower in the rpm range however.

I'll hold out for an eco 6 or 8.
I was speaking more towards the tq than the HP, and that he wanted a turbo. Though, an eco 6 would be astonishing. If they make that, I'd wait for it, too
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Exactly what project said. wait for the eco 6 or 8...2017 mach 1 is what im trading my ecoboost in for! but i got my eco when i was 21 and on top of that i have my 89 5.0 fox too my insurance is 150$ a month and thats full coverage for the new and old! how ever my driving record is clean. i almost bought the gt premium instead and my insurance wouldve been almost 200 l$ a month but im waiting for something special. ormaybe ill give in and twin turbo the 5.0

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I wouldn't assume the GT would have that much higher insurance then a V6/ Eco. I am in my 20's and called my insurance before going to test drive and it was like 8 dollars a month difference.

Best thing to do is to go test drive the cars. I have a 14 and test drove the 16's and decided while there was a difference it was not enough to take the depreciation hit on my 14 and to just keep what I have for a while especially after all the work I did to it. My initial thoughts was that there isnt much of a power increase (assuming your not upgrading to a GT). Although the ride quality was a lot smoother and certain aspects of the interior are nicer although I like the 14 interiors.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #15

The V6 is the best value check in to how much a new Turbo would cost, the V8 is for the kids who's parents own a ford dealership because that's more than my house payment per month. Seems to me the Eco is not selling light they though it would.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
AZMustang2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The Ecoboost is really a case of "eco *or* boost". The car is great with the turbo spun up, but otherwise it's a small engine with a heavy car to pull. I found that it had a very on/off behavior that made it hard to drive predictably and smoothly with manual.

The V6's $20K last-year's-model cost is also appealing. Myself, I don't WANT any options, so I'd just get the V6 with manual and no options and laugh at the money I didn't waste.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Buy a GT! It's hard for me to even answer this question without shaking my head. The sound, the torque and power, there is no replacement for displacement. That saying will never go away. 4 and 6 cylinders have come a LONG ways, I admit that. But I have still yet to start a 4 or 6 banger and ever smiled from the sound it makes. The turbo spooling can sound ok I suppose. I grew up with 60's and 70's muscle cars. They bring a smile to my face, there is something a 4 cyl just can't reach inside me. My daily driver is a 6cyl twin turbo car with 500HP, but it still can't achieve the same happiness that my coyote brings to my heart.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
V6 for sure. Twin turbo the thing and have it smoking just about any GT in your area. The 4 cylinder just doesn't have as much potential as the v6 and the v6 doesn't have as much potential as the GT.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
V6 for sure. Twin turbo the thing and have it smoking just about any GT in your area. The 4 cylinder just doesn't have as much potential as the v6 and the v6 doesn't have as much potential as the GT.
It all depends on the goals for the car. Sure a fully built V6 will outperform a fully Ecoboost but you are talking about after you drop at least 7k in the car (more likely will be 10-12k) and completely maxing it out. If you take a stock V6 and eco boost and drop 1-3 grand in mods the ecoboost would smoke the V6.

I feel like that's important to note because most people are not going to drop 10 grand to mod a brand new car that costs 20-25 k. And even if you do it will not have the drive-ability and reliability as a lightly modded or stock car.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
It all depends on the goals for the car. Sure a fully built V6 will outperform a fully Ecoboost but you are talking about after you drop at least 7k in the car (more likely will be 10-12k) and completely maxing it out. If you take a stock V6 and eco boost and drop 1-3 grand in mods the ecoboost would smoke the V6.

I feel like that's important to note because most people are not going to drop 10 grand to mod a brand new car that costs 20-25 k. And even if you do it will not have the drive-ability and reliability as a lightly modded or stock car.

How much boost can the stock ecoboost engine handle? Because you can throw a $4500 single turbo kit on the v6 and run it on e85 and wallah 550 hp safely on stock internals. But the reason why I said that is because I didn't think the 4 cylinder could produce as much power safely on stock internals. But if it can hang at 450 hp safely, I'm impressed. But even if you take the ecoboost and v6, which retail for about the same price brand new, and add 1-3k to smoke the v6. You can add $4500 and about $1200 for installation and have it smoking the ecoboost. But by that point I'm pretty sure you will have to build the ecoboost to hang with it after that. But prove me wrong because idk much about the ecoboost and I might be underestimating it.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The only way I'll buy the new mustang ecoboost is if they drop the 3.5 in it. I would rather have the 3.7 instead of the 4 banger.... But it also depends if you want options on your mustang

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
How much boost can the stock ecoboost engine handle? Because you can throw a $4500 single turbo kit on the v6 and run it on e85 and wallah 550 hp safely on stock internals. But the reason why I said that is because I didn't think the 4 cylinder could produce as much power safely on stock internals. But if it can hang at 450 hp safely, I'm impressed. But even if you take the ecoboost and v6, which retail for about the same price brand new, and add 1-3k to smoke the v6. You can add $4500 and about $1200 for installation and have it smoking the ecoboost. But by that point I'm pretty sure you will have to build the ecoboost to hang with it after that. But prove me wrong because idk much about the ecoboost and I might be underestimating it.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

What turbo kit is out the door for 4500? Then you added 1200 for install. Need a tuner and tune, drive shaft, etc which brings it a lot higher then 4500.

At the end of the day if you want 500+ hp the Eco boost and v6 are horrible choices for a starting platform although people like to make power different ways it doesn't change the fact that it's not an efficient way to reach the goal. If I wanted to have 300-350 hp the Eco boost can do it a lot easier then the v6. Most v6 guys with bolt ons are lucky to hit 300 at the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

What model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
What turbo kit is out the door for 4500? Then you added 1200 for install. Need a tuner and tune, drive shaft, etc which brings it a lot higher then 4500.

At the end of the day if you want 500+ hp the Eco boost and v6 are horrible choices for a starting platform although people like to make power different ways it doesn't change the fact that it's not an efficient way to reach the goal. If I wanted to have 300-350 hp the Eco boost can do it a lot easier then the v6. Most v6 guys with bolt ons are lucky to hit 300 at the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Jm performance has made single turbo kits for 4500 and twin turbo for 5700. Alrefire actually just did a write up on them in the 2011-2014 v6 section. That was assuming you have all the supporting mods, but yes a tune will add $400 to your price. So your looking at about 7k out the door with a lot of horsepower. I do agree that if 300-350 is your Goal then yes the ecoboost will definitely get there easier and cheaper.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Everyone has their own opinion but the following link should squash any comment that the Ecoboost lacks potential.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/50...deo-96669.html
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #25

Region: Texas
The magazines have started testing the tunes for the eco boost, and most are getting an additional 30 hp, so 340-350 hp is very realistic. I think the real story is the torque this motor puts out with a tune, it is phenomenal.

DavyGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyGravy View Post
The magazines have started testing the tunes for the eco boost, and most are getting an additional 30 hp, so 340-350 hp is very realistic. I think the real story is the torque this motor puts out with a tune, it is phenomenal.

Don't trust anything the rags claim. Ever.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

^ I don't find it hard to believe though

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asvpedwin View Post
I currently have a 2014 v6 but I've always wanted a turbo car

Keep your 14 and mod the h**l out of it till you can get the 5.0
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Keep your V6. Get gears, get a tune and get a full exhaust. Your car looks 100x better than the 2015+ and you already took the hit on it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)