Was buying a 2016 v6 mustang a mistake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM  

h

Reply With Quote Moderated Post
Old 03-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Was buying a 2016 v6 mustang a mistake

Hello everyone I just got rid of my 2014 v6 mustang for a 2016 v6 the deal was to good to pass up but doing some reading I hear that the v6 will be fazed out and knowing that the 2016 v6 only comes with base model kind of sucks for me what is your opinion on this?
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The base model is on par with past premium models in my opinion.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I think if your asking yourself this question right after purchasing, yes you probably made a mistake.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
I think if your asking yourself this question right after purchasing, yes you probably made a mistake.
X2 and just because a deal is good if its a good deal for something you don't want then its really not a great deal. With that said how optioned was your 2014? The whole 2016 V6 not being offered in premium really doesn't matter unless any of the premium options are something that you really want and if you bought one I assume none of the premium options were a deal breaker for you.

I have a base as well and the term is misleading. When you hear base you think of power locks/ windows, cassette player but really there is no options (aside from leather which I added) that I would want in addition to my "base" options but again its all in what you want.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
if you went from a base '14 V6 to a base '16 V6 then i would say "looks wise" yes, it was a mistake, but if you don't care about the looks then it is an upgrade. my opinion of course, about the looks. otherwise the new mustangs are pretty much better than older ones.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Just live with it. It's a great car, and here's how I think of it:
It's $2K more than a Civic? The joy of the V6 is that you WANT it in base trim. You WANT it with manual. And you WANT to mod it yourself.

It's an econobox destroyer. $2K more than a Civic for 300HP, killer looks, and rock-solid handling due to a much longer wheel base? Plus better "base" model options than most economy car premium interiors. ( fake leather isn't a win on budget cars - you really want the cloth in the summer )

Mine has done 25mpg combined over 55K miles. Half of that is a traffic jam every day. I ran to Vegas and back this last Wed ( yes, in 16 hours, total, including 6 hours there) and got 30mpg. That's only a few mpg shy of a smaller car on the same run, since almost all of it was at 74-75mph. ( official limit is 70 )

I paid $19,650 for it. Total no-brainer choice.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yep, mistake!
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Personally, i always opt for the GT. I dont mind sacrificing mpg for horsepower and higher price tag. So for me, bad deal.
ch0wd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

I think a V6 is a mistake.

If you have never driven a GT, please do. You will never be satisfied with the V6 ever again.
Just Saying...
Mustang2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #10

Region: Illinois
Not a mistake.

A 2016 base V6 is better equipped than the previous generations. Its still a great looking car. You can mod the hell out of it, which is what everyone wants to do anyway. The 5.0 premium was a considerably more expensive model, so unless you wanted to pay $40k for a premium GT, you basically have the same car as me with a smaller engine (no offense intended). I have a GT base. I had the same concerns the first couple of weeks "OMG, why didnt I get all the extra stuff???". I saved thousands buying the base and the biggest loss was not having the touch screen radio and navi. BUT...after I upgrade the exhaust (which you DEFINITELY MUST DO ON A V6)...I will never listen to the radio again.

Also, everyone loves your car. It doesn't matter if its a 4 banger, V6, GT, GT350, Roush...or whatever version. They all look similar, they all look awesome, and they all turn heads.

You did a good thing dude. Enjoy your ride. Do your mods, post your stories, and we will enjoy your ride with you.
MWmustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #11

You just bought the only car to have a Mustang, and you have a V6 saves on gas and is enough power for everyday driving . Gas prices are going to go up that we all know! I have a V6 too and love it, 300 hp more than enough.
AZMustang2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Do you like cloth seats? Even if you don't, converting them to leather is only going to cost you a few hundred $$'s..........as for the rest of it, I get tired of people buying the V6 and then lusting after the GT. Be happy with what you have and what you bought, as you even said "the deal was too good to pass up.":

Benefits?
Better mpg than either other available engine.
300 HP? That's the same amount as my stock 97 COBRA for heaven's sake!
Cheaper insurance costs.
Looks the same as any other Mustang costing twice as much.
Will happily cruise at 80 mph all day long.
Lighter, with less weight on the front axle = better handling.
0 to 60 in a little over 6 seconds = better than almost any V8 from a few years ago....including GT's from the 90's and early 2000's.

Although V6's do have a rather "unique" exhaust tone -- they can be made to sound better, but be careful with aftermarket exhausts for the V6, as some make it sound rather industrial.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I personally like the V6's for the "daily driver" because you get a little better gas mileage, although I really like my 14 s197 body style better then the new S550 body style. It all about your personal preferences, but I can say that getting a new car is sweeeeet experience regardless what bells and whistles you prefer - and not to mention it's a freaking "Mustang" no mistake there my friend - enjoy your new ride !!!
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It is a shame that Ford did not include the Performance Package with the V/6. Then you would have a great car at a bargain price.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The performance package is... essentially useless. It appears to only add stuff like the visual effects, SYNC, and so on. And slightly shorter gears.

Take your new 17" wheels and swap them for take-off 18s. The total swap will typically run you $400-500 after you sell your new original rims. That leaves several thousand to toss into suspension and mods and still be less than the Ecoboost. Let alone the $10K less than the V8.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

your mistake was taking a new car $ depreciation hit 2x in 2 years.

Do I think Ford is getting rid of the 3.7 = yes I believe the Stang is the only place it's used.

For me I would want the base V8 over a loaded I4 or V6 but key word was me.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Strange Mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The performance package is... essentially useless. It appears to only add stuff like the visual effects, SYNC, and so on. And slightly shorter gears.

Take your new 17" wheels and swap them for take-off 18s. The total swap will typically run you $400-500 after you sell your new original rims. That leaves several thousand to toss into suspension and mods and still be less than the Ecoboost. Let alone the $10K less than the V8.
No the Performance package on the 2013 to 2014 basically gave you the GT suspension, 3:31 limited slip, better brakes, strut brace. it did not include sync, it deleted the spoiler and spare to save weight. No special body effects. It made it a nice driving car. 2016 does not offer the same package
Old 03-12-2016, 02:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I was comparing the 2016 V6 to what they add to the Ecoboost with the "performance" package (over the base Ecoboost). ie - what would the V6 be missing by not having the performance package offered.

It's mostly minor changes. Sure, it's some improvement, but for $2K? I'd just get better tires and 3.73 gears and save the money. Everyone goes on about how you can only get the base trim in the V6. It's no big loss.

• 3.55 Limited Slip Rear Axle ( slight improvement - not quite tall enough with the manual and 300HP, IMO )
• 255/40R 19 Summer Only Tires ( 18s are more than enough for 300HP )
• "Engine Turn" Aluminum Instrument Panel ( bling )
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Boost) ( nice but bling )
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs ( I'd rather put Koni Struts on instead. )
• Larger Brake Rotors with 4-Piston Calipers ( Larger brakes only matter in the V6 if you race it. For a DD... )
• Larger Radiator ( some benefit? My V6 does just fine with the normal one? )
• Spoiler Delete ( no big loss - )
• Unique Chassis Tuning ( ? Sounds like marketing-speak )
• Unique EPAS, ABS and stability control tuning ( basically these are... making it work with the new changes? It's not like they put in a whole new system)
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar ( Limited improvement. Now, if it had NO rear sway bar... But making it larger... ? )

Tires. Gears. Better struts and shocks. Laugh at the extra money you didn't spend on an Ecoboost with the performance package.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I want to thank everyone for thier input especially joberlander for all the research information that was shared with us true and yes I am truly happy with my choice just was a little worried about ford trying to deliver the v6 Which in my opinion is pretty sad and truth is I can afford a v8 but I don't track and the v6 is great for a dd and no I don't care for the premium package I am happy with this base model and yes I know this is the only way they come thank you everyone for your help.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

No worries Snoopy... That what I love about this forum, everyone is so helpful and supportive for our Mustangs !!!
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ive got a 13 black pony package. All sorts of mods.

When i first got it i regretted it a bit. after mods, tune, etc, it was WELL worth it.

You make a mustang your own, you dont always buy it

If you wanna trade tho... XD
Ponyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #22

I love my V6! Now regrets and I get 30mpg on the highway most times and 22 around town. Plus 87 octane so I save a bit on gas as well. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds too. My 89 LX 5.0 couldn't come close to those numbers. I'm loving this car every day. I've had guys in Caymans, Corvettes and even an i8 stare at my car - as to not having premium features, I'm remedying that slowly over time and it will still cost me less than a premium Ecoboost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stam616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No the Performance Package added the 19 inch wheels with P Zero tires, the Mustang GT Suspension, Upgraded brakes, strut tower brace. The V/6 with this package handled better than the GT, because it had less weight also. The Tech package had Sync, Power Seat, Fog light, Auto Dimming mirrors, and fog lamps. PP package is great for the V/6.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
No the Performance Package added the 19 inch wheels with P Zero tires, the Mustang GT Suspension, Upgraded brakes, strut tower brace. The V/6 with this package handled better than the GT, because it had less weight also. The Tech package had Sync, Power Seat, Fog light, Auto Dimming mirrors, and fog lamps. PP package is great for the V/6.

There is no PP on the 2015 + Mustang, 051A package which adds power drivers seat, fog lights, spoiler (or delete) and 18" Foundry wheels is no longer available on the coupe. Only on the convertible. I think 2017 may be the last year for the 3.7L V6. Because I can't see many people buying the coupe without any comforts or extras. I mean I'm sure there will be some, but not as many as their could be. I'm glad I got mine in 15. Just sucks because the casual sporty car buyer has more choices with Camaro, and it's taking away from getting a new younger generation into the Mustang brand.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stam616 View Post
There is no PP on the 2015 + Mustang, 051A package which adds power drivers seat, fog lights, spoiler (or delete) and 18" Foundry wheels is no longer available on the coupe. Only on the convertible. I think 2017 may be the last year for the 3.7L V6. Because I can't see many people buying the coupe without any comforts or extras. I mean I'm sure there will be some, but not as many as their could be. I'm glad I got mine in 15. Just sucks because the casual sporty car buyer has more choices with Camaro, and it's taking away from getting a new younger generation into the Mustang brand.

stam616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

yes^^^I wonder why the 3.7 and not the 3.5. I think the only place the 3.7 is used is in the Stang and I wonder why Ford would'nt keep selling it.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Strange Mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

My reply was to someone who said the performance package added nothing in terms of performance. He was confusing it with the Tech Package. That is why I like my 2013 better than the 15/16.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #27

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

I have a 2016 V6 coupe and it has everything you mentioned above. Think I read that it's standard now.

Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You're fine.

If you were ok with your 14' V6, you'll be fine with the '16 V6.

It doesn't matter if they phase it out, Ford sells so many cars there will be plenty of parts, aftermarket, etc... forever. And IF they phase it out, it might even make your car more valuable as some people are die hard NA, so they'll never want an EB.

So down the road when everything is tiny (4 cyl) & turbo'd, youll still have a relatively big NA V6 that can still have a blower or turbo added for big power.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Very good answer. Right on the money.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The performance package is not useless. You get the GT suspension, shocks and struts sway bars with 19 inch wheels with the summer tires, 331 gears, enhanced brakes, strut tower brace, less aggressive stability control, spare tire delete, spoiler delete to save weight. The tech package ads sync, power seat, auto dim mirror, fog lights
Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #31

Love my 2010 V6 and this thread has gold in it. Thanks!
camarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Most people that get the performance package, get a spoiler installed. So there is 1 inconvenience since you do not have the bolt holes for one.

Most people will swap the wheels also because the V6 Performance Pack wheels look ugly. Besides the 11-12 ones, those are ok.

Having a 2014 V6 with a Performance Pack, you won't feel any difference in the suspension. The brakes....a little.

You may also feel a little better acceleration with the 3.31s. However, most hardcore N/A V6 people opt for 3.73s later on anyways.

So all in all, I think the best choice would be a base model and build up from there. Remember, tacking on $2,500 for a v6 Performance pack to your Auto loan, is more than just that. It will also accrue interest and such during the life of the loan. And most people won't even have those parts still on it by the time they finish the loan or trade it.

IF you are dead set on getting stuff like gears, wheels, strut brace, and engine cover. You can snag all of that for less then what the performance pack will cost. Especially after the auto loan interest.

However, the 2016 GT Performance Pack...that is another story. I love my 6 Piston Brembos.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Most people that get the performance package, get a spoiler installed. So there is 1 inconvenience since you do not have the bolt holes for one.

Most people will swap the wheels also because the V6 Performance Pack wheels look ugly. Besides the 11-12 ones, those are ok.

Having a 2014 V6 with a Performance Pack, you won't feel any difference in the suspension. The brakes....a little.

You may also feel a little better acceleration with the 3.31s. However, most hardcore N/A V6 people opt for 3.73s later on anyways.

So all in all, I think the best choice would be a base model and build up from there. Remember, tacking on $2,500 for a v6 Performance pack to your Auto loan, is more than just that. It will also accrue interest and such during the life of the loan. And most people won't even have those parts still on it by the time they finish the loan or trade it.

IF you are dead set on getting stuff like gears, wheels, strut brace, and engine cover. You can snag all of that for less then what the performance pack will cost. Especially after the auto loan interest.

However, the 2016 GT Performance Pack...that is another story. I love my 6 Piston Brembos.
I drove both with and without the performance package for model year 2013 and you could tell the PP had a stiffer ride and did not lean in curves as much, breaking was better than the one without. If you had to add up what you got suspension and tire wise it was a bargain for $1995.00. I think the car looks cleaner without a spoiler also.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I guess I'm not "most people" since I didn't add a spoiler, change the wheels, put in different gears or swap out any suspension parts on my '14 PP. I like the way the PP is equipped, and feel like it was a good value for $1995.00 (price on the window sticker). Like 2013 RedMustang said, I also preferred the cornering and braking of the PP compared to the non-PP V6's I drove. Plus, no need to immediately start changing parts, and it has a full factory warranty. But, that is just me. I do agree that the wheels aren't the best looking, but they aren't so bad that I want to spend $$$ to swap them out.

Now to each their own... if a person wants to have the ultimate great-handling S197 V6 Mustang, they might as well buy a non-PP version to modify. Same goes if they want a deeper gear than 3:31. Evaluate how you want to use the car, and what modifications need to be done to accomplish that goal. Buy accordingly.

Of course, all this is pretty academic for a new purchase, since the new V6's aren't available with a Performance Package...
Old 08-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just FYI people. The GT Performance Pack now costs $2,995!!!

It was $2,495 for 2015, 2016 and for the first month or 2 of 2017 production.
Anything made past July 2016, has the $500 increase on it.

Ford must be reading these forums... with all you bragging about how the 13-14 GT Track Pack & 15-16 PP at $2,495 was a bargain... well now its $2,995. Not so much of a bargain anymore!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Tags
v6 mustang