Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Blew motor today on ecoboost

39K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  olerodder 
#1 ·
Hey guys my buddy has a 2016 ecoboost tuned by cobb. He has a aftermarket intercooler & waste gate upgrade. He just installed meth injection today and was playing around with it and now a rod is sticking out the side of his block. Any advice on a new short block? Who's making short blocks for these?

#3 ·
I have nothing constructive to add to this post other than to say I had a Captain Picard facepalm moment when I read the original post. Hopefully your bud has a decent bank account or a credit card with a highish limit on it.

#4 ·
His car only has 5k miles.

#10 ·
Wow, sorry to hear. We are hearing more and more horror stories with these ecoboost mustangs. I'm glad I own a gt....

#11 ·
I was REALLY eyeballing a 2016 Mustang ecoboost Premium w/ Performance Pack at the dealership right before I got my 2016 GT. It was Competition Orange too! Man, was I so tempted. Glad I went the 5.0 route now.

As far as Ford warranty on that, I doubt it. They will see the mods and tune and say NERP!!! (southern accent). lol

#12 ·
#Ecoboom

#13 ·
I would hope Ford doesn't warranty it, it's completely on the owner.

That's being said, how much power was he putting down?

I wouldn't call this a "horror" story, or any consequence from the result of owners modding their cars. If I slap on a supercharger with Prius sized 225 tires and end up in a ditch, is that an issue relevant to how Ford made the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
I wouldn't call this a "horror" story, or any consequence from the result of owners modding their cars. If I slap on a supercharger with Prius sized 225 tires and end up in a ditch, is that an issue relevant to how Ford made the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, that would be the owners fault....People are modding their new GT's left and right without engine failures...More and more Ecoboots are blowing up after being modded. So there's an issue with improper mods to these 2.3 turbo engines....Looks like data logs are a must before continuing...The 2.3's are more sensitive to upgrades obviously.

#14 ·
They said they were wondering if Cobb (the tuner) would warranty it. Sure as hell shouldn't if this guy threw a meth kit on without getting the tune updated.

#16 ·
I know. But some people will go back and ask their dealer if their car is covered.

I wouldn't think anyone would warranty it with that setup. Once you go that far, any owner should know it is "At your own risk".

#17 · (Edited)
We think he had around 360hp. It was a cobb tuner but he was using a different tune that was uploaded to the cobb, "tune plus". There are now 2 holes in the block. 1 hole on each side. The Car ran good with the tune sense he uploaded it over 1 month ago. Then came the meth and it went bye bye while in 2nd gear just hours after the install.

#18 ·
He said he sprayed the meth a few times after the install and it felt great. (FYI also on 100 octane tune). Then decided to hit it 1 more time before planned data logs the next day but kaboooom. It would have gone on the data logs either way.

#21 ·
Im a GT owner just posting for my friend and agree that go 5.0 or don't go at all lol. His little 2.3 was getting to be quick I might add. We raced a hand full of times and on the last test he was on the 100oct tune and beat me from a dig. I spun so bad it was sad but he still won. We did a few 15mph and 25mph runs and I beat him with no problem. But it was going to be quick with that meth. Meth kills humans and cars.

#25 ·
#26 · (Edited)
I said this months ago when the tunes for these things were first coming out. All the tuners were posting up dyno queen numbers with massive torque at low rpms ... that will pop any motor over time.

I've been tuning turbo cars for going on 4 years now (recreationally, not professionally) and I have never had a car make peak torque below like 4000, some I push out as far as 4500. There's just no practical need for it to be lower than that other than to "brag" with a massive torque spike.

I'd hardly say this is any fault of the car and the blame lies solely on the multiple tuners making give or take 400 wtq around 3000-3500 rpms. That's just begging for a popped motor. Not to mention its not hard at all to get a ton of spool up knock when a turbo comes on that hard and that fast if you're not careful.

You also have to be careful tuning meth, because there will always be some latency in the system, and if you spool real hard and are running a bunch of timing and intake cam advance (like I assume a 100 octane tune would be) you're going to knock before the meth starts actually spraying.

#27 ·
Good info Voltwings' thanks. I will copy what you said and send this to him.

#28 ·
Here are some pic of the aftermath.

#29 ·
Hmm, well guess that settles that. Doesn't look to healthy to me. It does seem that guys popping the ecoboosts are almost never stock. There may be a correlation between massaging too much power from the eco or poor tuning, and boom...

I don't see that as being a faulty product on Ford's part.

"Insert clever phase here"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.