Blown engine on 2015 ecoboost - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
What does that mean though? Tried reading about it but it wasn't very clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point was whether the bottom end was beefy enough to withstand increased heat and pressures due to performance mods. I couldn't care less how many bolts are holding the main bearing caps to the block if the metal doesn't have the tensil strength to hold up. I don't know that the tonsil strength is inadequate, but the number of bolts attaching the bearing caps to the block is immaterial--IMHO
To clarify: If the tonsil strength of the block is lacking, then it doesn't matter how many bolts are holding the pieces together
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So update.. he put everything back to stock and found a dealer who's covering a brand new engine for him. He got extremely lucky. Stopped by the dealer today and snapped a pic of the blown cylinder.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The 3.7 was a Lincoln engine before it was a Mustang engine so it is special too! In the 70's (and before), manufacturers would put 2 extra bolts on enlarged Main Bearing Caps to add rigidity especially at high rpm's. The Lincoln Engine produced by Ford took this one step further. Th 5th and 6th bolts were cross drilled and threaded sideways into the Lincoln Block for added strength. This might explain why 3.7 Owners feel that their cars are special. Time tends to marginalize cumulative improvements which we enjoy in many areas including Automotive Technology. This is not to minimize how great the 5.oooooooooohhhh! is, simply to point out that the 3.7 is special too! Anyone that had to live with cars produced in the 70's knows from whence I speak.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
The 3.7 was a Lincoln engine before it was a Mustang engine so it is special too! In the 70's (and before), manufacturers would put 2 extra bolts on enlarged Main Bearing Caps to add rigidity especially at high rpm's. The Lincoln Engine produced by Ford took this one step further. Th 5th and 6th bolts were cross drilled and threaded sideways into the Lincoln Block for added strength. This might explain why 3.7 Owners feel that their cars are special. Time tends to marginalize cumulative improvements which we enjoy in many areas including Automotive Technology. This is not to minimize how great the 5.oooooooooohhhh! is, simply to point out that the 3.7 is special too! Anyone that had to live with cars produced in the 70's knows from whence I speak.

Very well said

I'm old and from the era of, "if you didn't have an engine of 390 cubic inches or 'more' you didn't have an engine". 302's were the engine grandma had in her car to go to the grocery store and to knitting classes.

A muscle car was when a car maker takes a motor built for a large heavy car and put it into a light smaller car. When Ford motor company took the 3.7L v6 made for the heavy Lincoln and put it in the Mustang, in my old opinion the v6 Mustang is a Muscle car
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Hah,my 78 LeSabra was a beast with its 110hp Pontiac 301 under the hood! No it was slow as molasses, we have come a long way....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)