Article in Motor Trend claims EcoBoost Mustangs are getting progressively slower. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Article in Motor Trend claims EcoBoost Mustangs are getting progressively slower.

Hard to argue with their findings:

Why Are EcoBoost Mustangs Getting Slower? - Motor Trend

Sure sounds like Ford may have changed the engine programming.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looking that way
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
"EcoBoom"=detune. Nothing a good aftermarket tune won't take care of but could see this coming a mile away. Still probably a better buy than the V6 for an entry level Mustang if you want power for cheaper but... if I just wanted a DD I'd probably get the V6.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It's very odd that the engine seems to dump boost between shifts -- and that it occurs between different shifts on different acceleration runs. It would certainly be disconcerting to be making a run and have the engine fall on its face when you quick shift to second gear.
When Car and Driver found that the EB was a dog on regular gas......Motor Trends results make me wonder if, when they buy premium gas, they are truly getting the octane they are paying for.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have a 2.0 in my 2014 Escape, and also in my girlfriends 2015 Edge. We can't feel any difference using 87 octane. Ford claims it costs you 9 HP. I can tell the difference in my Merkur XR4TI. That has a intercooler, cam, big valve ported head and pimp software. It really runs poorly on 87. With a manual there is a drop off in boost unless you powershift. Maybe they are letting up when shifting. Would be interested in Automatic times. I also think heat is a factor also in hard testing.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My wifes 14 Eco Fusion doesn't get the milage from a tank of gas as it once did also.
I think the Eco engines are good on paper but not all that when it comes to fuel milage and power in real world driving.
It gets similar milage to my 3.7 mustang when I had 2.73s in her.

They have good numbers for the displacement size but when you actually use that power it trades off to a larger displacement engine when it comes to fuel consumption which kinda defeats the whole purpose Imo.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Technically speaking, their most recent car ran a slower time but a faster mph, so that's not saying the car is making less power.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm positive all the eb4's are making similar power. The thing is that ford is limiting the power between and just after the shifts. This is likey to presreve the drivetrain. Gm and other manufacturers do this. On gm vehicles its called torque management. The drop in performance looks identical to the gm vehicles that have torque management.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Good info, I wasted aware of this.
My wife's fusion just doesn't perform as well as when we bought it, power and milage wise. Maybe I'm just crazy lol.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I'm positive all the eb4's are making similar power. The thing is that ford is limiting the power between and just after the shifts. This is likey to presreve the drivetrain. Gm and other manufacturers do this. On gm vehicles its called torque management. The drop in performance looks identical to the gm vehicles that have torque management.
Ford has torque management also. This is why the only solution to the abysmal throttle response of every 2011+ Mustang (does not matter which engine in my experience) is to go with a standalone powertrain controller. No more torque management, but that powertrain warranty is just a fond memory.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)