Road Trip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Road Trip

With my 71st birthday looming, I thought I would do part of my bucket list. With my brand new 2016 Oxford White EcoBoost with PP. The stateside part of the list is driving all over the country. So I packed up and went on a 14,000 mile, 45 day trip. I had lists of places I wanted to see. And roads I wanted to drive. All I needed was a copilot/navigator. I put the question to my wife’s little sister and she accepted (I’m a Widower). With her youngest daughter in college, She’s a freebird . And readily accepted the challenge as my navigator. I had my oil changed at my local Dealer (free) 5-20 semi syn with 728 miles on the car. Drove to upstate NY and picked up my sis. First stage of the trip 27.6 mpg. 1060 miles. Two days later we were on our way to Maine. Got to Maine and pigged out on sea food. Drove up to Cadillac Mountain, in Acadia National Park, it’s the Highest Mountain on the East Coast. Did some Hiking. Next day drove out to Niagara Falls, did the speed limits 65 & 70 mph, and got an impressive 31.5 mpg. On to the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland, got the obligatory T shirts. On to Dallas, TX to see my brother Jack, and go to his daughters graduation from Texas Tech, as well as pig out for a week. While in Dallas I visited Big Worm Graphics. I got their 8.5” OTT blue stripes; I also added Red pinstripes which made it pop ($420.00). Looks great on my Oxford White EcoBoost. Fielded compliments on the car for the rest of the trip. One of the highlights of that second leg was the long road down the side of a Mountain into Sedona, AZ. Some of sharpest curves I’ve ever seen. The EB with PP just ate up the road. Sedona was everything my friends told me, and more than I expected. Las Vegas was a blast. We took pics of ourselves in front of the white chapel and texted them to everyone in the family. Didn’t answer texts for two days and drove the family crazy LOL. At Las Vegas my avg mpg had come down to 27.3 very nice, considering after Cleveland we never did the speed limit again. On to Hollywood and vine. Ehhhh. My copilot wanted to see the stars. She did. On to Fishermen’s Wharf, San Frisco. We ate some good sea food. Got some *****ty caricatures. To this point the EcoBoost was flawless 27.3 mpg the oil level was the same as when I left the dealership. Leaving San Francisco I was stoked to drive 101 North to the Seattle Needle. Talk about high speed thrills I met up with two 13 and a 14 GT, a Camaro, and a Charger all new cars. The Camaro was at the head of the pack for a while. This Oriental kid with a 14 v6 pulled ahead and passed the Camaro, followed by the rest of us. The Charger couldn’t take the heat and fell back LOL. OK so now were all driving over our heads down this Mountain road, when I notice a mini van coming up behind us. WTF He catches up with us goes through us in about six curves. And that was the last we saw of him. A few of us got off the road to fuel up and he instantly became a legend. Got to Seattle and was getting 27.3 mpg. This car is impressive for a 35K car. By the time we got back to Florida we had 11,000 miles on the oil. Dropped it out took a sample for Blackstone and replaced it with Mobil 1 EP. Then my brother called and said he missed us so we went to Orlando for a week.
Brought my s.i.l home, and in the end I have 14,732 highway miles 27.2 mpg for entire trip... I don’t know how much I spent on gas, don’t care. Got closer to my sister in law and found out how smart she is (scary smart). And more than a little sexy….

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Wowww... Great story I would like to do this one day. The farthest Iv traveled in my stang was from Massachusetts to Florida with my old 3.7 stang.. I will be traveling to pa for the am show with my new 5.0 I can't wait to do that and have a blast with it together with my wifey. This will be our 3rd time in a row and kinda making it as our anniversary tradition since our wedding was in Aug.. Great story man and way to check off the bucket list and I'm more intrigued with the sister in law.. Hahaha jk.

2016 GT PREMIUM "RACE RED" >>>>>>>"raging bull" <<<<<<<<
Instagram: pinoy_stang5.0
YouTube: pinoy_stang
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea she's a free bird for sure. Good at everything she does.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Hey Now

Thank you for sharing with us.

I think there are some other "DON'T MISS LOCATIONS" that you missed.

Take a break, map a new route and go again.

Take the sexy lady again.

Enjoy

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Awesome story glad you shared it with us .Nothing like driving a mustang on a long road trip.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
What a great story! I just hit the road with my 16 year old son from Connecticut to Wisconsin. Great road trip and he got to see a lot of stuff you just don't see in the suburbs. Best part - two Amish kids rollerblading in Medford Wisconsin. That's right, you just can't make this stuff up

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Did that minivan happen to be a newish red Dodge grand caravan? If so, that may have been Ralph Giles. He used to run SRT, and had a habit of taking that particular van out onto the proving grounds while the viper testers were out, and passing them (the mid-mounted hemi certainly helps).
Sounds like a good trip.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Awesome write-up...living the dream. Thank you.
EastTN15RubyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
the Chapel pics/not answering texts is now something i'm going to do. thx for the idea and sounds like a great time.

I'm sure you are glad ya did this.

Max Respect for still having fun
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

71 years young...fantastic thread; any pics from the trip?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You are awesome man. Seize life like that and doing stuff that makes memories. Moments are what matters and sounds like you had more than a couple. Congrats! Enjoy life... not because your 71 but because thats why we are here.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

By the way... where are you at in Florida man? Love to meet up at a car show or if close enough for a bite or a drink. I am Naples, Ft. Myers area but go to allot of stuff around the state.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in the Ocala area. And yes it was a reddish looking minivan I think it was a Chrysler, but I'm not sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)