Shift knob - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:41 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Shift knob

So before I pose my simple question, you get a brief story to mitigate the laughing. My last Mustang was a 14 and I had to have a cue ball shift knob. It ended up being my $500 knob. When I installed it, it stuck and in muscling it off I ended up twisting some detents in the shifter mechanism so much so that I had to replace the entire assembly. I did replace it with a Barton short throw shifter but those purchases aren't as fun with you break something and have to do it. There's a longer funnier version of this story but you get the context.

Fast forward to now. I picked up a new ecoboost to replace my 14'. I met an older gentleman who drove a Cadillac.. suddenly aka got T-boned and my '14 was totaled. So I go to replace the shift knob and that rascal is on tight. I'm reluctant to muscle it off in the context of above. Does anyone know if it is locktighted on or something like that or should I just man up and wrench it off.
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Performance Package: Roush Quarter Window Scoops; Roush Jackal Side Scoops; Roush Jackal Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Wire Mesh Grilles; Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Urethane Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Boomba Racing BOV Adapter; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); MBRP XP Catbacks; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors; BAMA 93R Tune; Royal Purple everywhere!
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Do the new ones press down to go in reverse or do you pull up a release? On the push down I would pull the boot down and either put a wrench on the flat of the shaft (if it has one) or rubber strap wrench/channel locks with rubber cushion if it doesn't have flats to prevent the shaft from twisting. w/o insulting look for set screw on knob but I don't remember one on my 2012. If you pull up idk if there is a trick to it.

Do NOT use loctite when replacing try Teflon tape instead

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
This one is a pull up to defeat the reverse lock out.
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Performance Package: Roush Quarter Window Scoops; Roush Jackal Side Scoops; Roush Jackal Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Wire Mesh Grilles; Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Urethane Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Boomba Racing BOV Adapter; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); MBRP XP Catbacks; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors; BAMA 93R Tune; Royal Purple everywhere!
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)