Output Secrets of the Focus RS 2.3 EcoBoost - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Output Secrets of the Focus RS 2.3 EcoBoost

The monster output the Focus RS engine achieves is due to its all-new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger with a larger compressor wheel that delivers more airflow and power throughout the rev range. Peak turbocharger boost is 23.2 psi.
Backing up this increased output is a large intercooler to maximize charge density. Air itself is delivered through a low-restriction intake manifold on the front end with a high-performance exhaust. The system includes an electronically controlled valve that optimizes back pressure and exhaust volume level.
Stout, high-tensile cast-iron cylinder liners are used to enhance the robustness of the engine, while a high-performance head gasket.

This article brought out an interesting point about back pressure.
It is my hope that you wizzard will be able to explain that to me.
Here's the link
autoblog.com/2015/10/12/ford-focus-rs-350-horsepower-350-torque-stall-recovery/

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My theory is that they used a slightly larger, free flowing, turbocharger/down pipe, than you would typically find on a production turbocharged car, and it requires some additional back pressure in the exhaust housing to help the turbo spool up faster at low RPM's to help elimnate the "lag" that is inherent with that sort of setup.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It also has a different Turbo Charger. I think it would be a nice upgrade.
I've been trying to find a price on it.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 02:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That is what I was referring to. The turbocharger produces a lot of boost on the Focus, for a production four door car application!
The automobile manufacturers have historically used small turbochargers that are working at very near their maximum potentiall. A smaller turbocharger produces boost faster so it makes the car feel more powerful throughout the entire RPM range.
A larger turbocharger will produce more boost, and is more efficient, but generally spools up at a higher RPM. I think that they put the electric exhaust restrictor in the Focus so that the hot side of the larger, more efficient, turbo remains fully pressurized during low RPM driving.

Like I said, that's my theory. Lol
The link to the article that you posted didn't work.

I'm sure that it won't be long before the Focus turbo setup finds it's way onto an EcoBoost Mustang.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ecoboost mustang stock makes 15 - 18 psi of boost. Focus RS makes 22 - 24 psi boost with a slightly larger turbo (more airflow per same psi) in overboost.

Not sure where the confusion would come from. Also, the Focus RS is far from having "monster output".

The RS only puts down about 30 more whp than my old evo did stock. Thats including the "overboost" function that lasts for up to 15 seconds or something. Without that feature, the Evos and STIs put down nearly the same power.

Go drive them all, power wise they are nearly identical. The RS is smoother with it's delivery, the Evo feels like all or nothing and the STI is somewhere in between.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
My theory is that they used a slightly larger, free flowing, turbocharger/down pipe, than you would typically find on a production turbocharged car, and it requires some additional back pressure in the exhaust housing to help the turbo spool up faster at low RPM's to help elimnate the "lag" that is inherent with that sort of setup.
Back pressure is the enemy of fast spooling of a turbo. You want the largest pressure drop across the turbo as possible to spool it up fast. It's this reason that turbo engines respond so much better to free flowing exhausts than a naturally aspirated engine.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would still like to have 350/350 on my EBM.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
It also has a different Turbo Charger. I think it would be a nice upgrade.
I've been trying to find a price on it.
It does sound like a better turbo setup than the Mustang has --- but without the stouter cylinder walls that the Focus engine has, I don't think that I'd risk running 24 PSI in the Mustang.....
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Back pressure is the enemy of fast spooling of a turbo. You want the largest pressure drop across the turbo as possible to spool it up fast. It's this reason that turbo engines respond so much better to free flowing exhausts than a naturally aspirated engine.

Dave
This has been my understanding of turbocharger theory as well. I am just trying to rationalize, in my feeble mind, what the purpose of a valve to manipulate exhaust back pressure could possibly be? It can't have anything to do with the engine itself, so that leaves just the turbocharger system.

Any thoughts on the electronically controlled exhaust valve Dave?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
This has been my understanding of turbocharger theory as well. I am just trying to rationalize, in my feeble mind, what the purpose of a valve to manipulate exhaust back pressure could possibly be? It can't have anything to do with the engine itself, so that leaves just the turbocharger system.
I wonder if the system momentarily (meaning just a few microseconds) builds back pressure, and then the valve quickly releases it........would that spool the turbo more quickly?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I wonder if the system momentarily (meaning just a few microseconds) builds back pressure, and then the valve quickly releases it........would that spool the turbo more quickly?
That is the only thing that makes any sense to me. That it briefly closes at low RPM's to take better advantage of the available exhaust pulses. And is completely opened at mid/high RPM's to take advantage of the efficient, free flowing, turbo and exhaust system.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

Sound Control?

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Got the turbo charger number, but still cant find price.

garrett turbo charger GT2263DGLZ

Still need to find out what the purpose of back pressure is. In all my many years I have never heard of controlled back pressure. I have read on the forums that people are seeing smoke come out of their exhaust pipes after reducing back pressure. (Installing new exhaust systems). Perhaps that's the reason.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post

Dave
Yup this... I can confirm too much back pressure on the turbine side is not the turbos friend, and conversely not enough or an exhaust that is too large has no affect on the turbo directly but does affect the efficiency of your wastegate (i.e. too small a wastegate and too large an exhaust can cause boost to still rise if the exhaust can pull more air out than the WG can keep up bleeding off boost pre turbo).

I found this to be true in a practical sense with my big turbo EBM by putting my stock restrictive exhaust back on. If you have seen just a stock exhaust and ever noticed that hot spot on the resonator just before the dual out pipes then you know its restrictive even for stock. You can bang out 23 PSI on a stock turbo with a tune and stock exhaust because the turbo is so small it does not need to play catch up so you can actually make ok boost. On my big turbo it fights to make 20PSI on the stock exhaust, just does not have the flow characteristics needed to keep up with the demand, then back pressure is so much it creates a negative pressure situation slowing the turbo down. Logs showed turbo output dropped on the stock exhaust consistently.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Great post, good information. Short and concise.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Now that this thread has already been revived i'll add my .02.

Exhaust pulses take place before the turbine in the manifold (or cylinder head in this case), not after, so the valve wouldnt be taking advantage of any pulses.

I also think you're looking at this backwards. They're trying to sell this as a "performance" system, so it might not be the utilization of "back pressure," but rather the lack thereof.

The RS also has different camshafts, you can find this by referencing the part numbers between that and the EB and seeing that they are different. The larger turbo and cams are the reason that stock for stock the RS holds its power band better than the mustang.

Smoke coming from the exhaust after "reducing back pressure," is likely from over spinning the turbo and blowing a turbine seal and burning oil. Happens all too often when people dont mod, or tune, turbo cars correctly.

All in all you want as little "exhaust" on a turbo car as possible, there are no tips or tricks to make it flow better.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)