Ecoboost vs V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Corona
Region: California
Posts: 52
Ecoboost vs V6

I don't understand why these two are combined into one forum but while it's here let's have the battle of the century! Which one is better?? Any well modded engine bays out there with pics??
mwill5392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pembroke
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 201
When I went shopping for my 15 Mustang the v6 was not even considered simply because there was no premium version.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
tman1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: northwest indiana
Region: Indiana
Posts: 126
It's to bad ford didn't combine them also. I think a V-6 eco-boost mustang would've been cool.
tman1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Corona
Region: California
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman1020 View Post
It's to bad ford didn't combine them also. I think a V-6 eco-boost mustang would've been cool.
Yes! A factory twin-turboed V6 Mustang would've been sweet! I think they would have been stepping all over their precious GT market with that one though. My assumptions why they didn't
__________________
16 Ecoboost PP Magnetic Metallic
Mods: smoked tint all around
Dualport Turbosmart BOV

Next up: Bama Tuner
mwill5392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Spykexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bettendorf, Ia
Region: Iowa
Posts: 276
Depends.

Stock - Pretty much dead even
Anything over stock the EB is going to start pulling on the V6. The EB makes crazy torque with just a tune. Take Tune+'s numbers: 93 tune 328WHP/396ftlb. I believe they were getting about 10% better on E30.

I highly doubt we'll see a TTV6 model That would take the spotlight away from the GT. Even if stock they were close...After a tune the V6 would put the shame on the GT.
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Spykexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bettendorf, Ia
Region: Iowa
Posts: 276
Personal experience coming from a tuned '13 V6 to a '17 Ecoboost; it has it's pros and cons. The V6 felt quite a bit quicker off the line being N/A. Much snappier from a dead stop. After that though the ecoboost seems to pull much harder. In the lower speeds they feel pretty similar although the "around-town" low end torque in the EB is MUCH more fun lol.

Where I feel like it really shines though is past 60. It feels much more happy to go, whereas the V6 felt like I needed to prod it a little bit to keep going. The EB just keeps going and going and feels much more effortless.

I do miss the instant power from the V6 though. The lag can be pretty substantial from the turbo. Not a deal breaker but stock it is a bit laggy. Especially with the stock intercooler, it definitely pulls some timing once it's up to temp.
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,045
One other thing to consider is in order to get maximum performance from the eco boost you have to use premium where as the v6 makes maximum/ advertised power on 87. From the reviews I've read the eco looses 25-30 hp with 87.

That's really the only benefit I can see for the v6 over the eco. As already said once you start modding dollar for dollar it's no context unless you drop serious money in the car.



Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
What gears were in your 3.7?

LG G4
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Spykexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bettendorf, Ia
Region: Iowa
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
What gears were in your 3.7?

LG G4
Exact same as my EB. 3.55
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Raced a 3.7 V6! I pulled him in 2nd gear! He admitted I won the race! He mentioned he is planning forced induction! I told him that the way to go!

Stretched out at least 2 car lengths on him!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykexx View Post
Personal experience coming from a tuned '13 V6 to a '17 Ecoboost; it has it's pros and cons. The V6 felt quite a bit quicker off the line being N/A. Much snappier from a dead stop. After that though the ecoboost seems to pull much harder. In the lower speeds they feel pretty similar although the "around-town" low end torque in the EB is MUCH more fun lol.

Where I feel like it really shines though is past 60. It feels much more happy to go, whereas the V6 felt like I needed to prod it a little bit to keep going. The EB just keeps going and going and feels much more effortless.

I do miss the instant power from the V6 though. The lag can be pretty substantial from the turbo. Not a deal breaker but stock it is a bit laggy. Especially with the stock intercooler, it definitely pulls some timing once it's up to temp.
The stock turbo on the Ecoboost is definitely not laggy! It produces boost from 1200rpm on up! Going through the gears I gran boost depending on how aggressive I pish the throttle!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Hey guys! Is the 3.7L supported by any tuners? If so who, and what kind of power is the 3.7 doing a on 93 octane tune?
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Nope, no tuners for the 3.7..........

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Nope, no tuners for the 3.7..........

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Oh WOW!! What a waste!

Sorry to hear that! Best option then is to go Procharger! At least then they provide a Handheld Tuner!

305HP is not too shabby! With a tune it should make 300rwhp no problem!

That Procharger is good for 475 Flywheel HP!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Yep the intercooled kit boast 482 Flywheel HP and 410rwhp! If you own a 3.7L, don't give up hope! Get the Procharger kit from American Muscle!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Whew, at least there is hope. Thx!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp.ecoboost View Post
Yep! Raced one yesterday that had an XPipe, and it sounded real good! We went from a 1st fear roll, and I pulled him at the top if 2nd around 4500rpm!

Anyways the Procharger kit gets you a handheld tuner! That's very important to have!

This company called CFM out of Florida makes a turbo kit for the 3.7L that runs 10's!! 443rwhp and 503lbs ft of Torque! Its on YouTube!
Just go to YouTube and type in (3.7L V6 turbo CFM Performance Florida)
It will pop up!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Whew, at least there is hope. Thx!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thank you jesus.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	247226  
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
You guys with 3.7L should rejoice! Canceling the V6 makes your car more valuable! Especially because it's over 300HP!

Slap an intercooled Procharger setup on it and watch the value shoot through the roof!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171115_171411.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	247234
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
Just read this thread and I litteraly 😂😂

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Just read this thread and I litteraly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mustangs hold their value, especially when you take the time to Mod it! My 2005 S197 sold for $18,000 at auction when I sold it in 2010! I put a Twinscroll 67mm T4 Turbo setup on it and it produced 402rwhp and 460rwtq @ 10psi!

Here is a pic of the car underneath!
If you put Forced induction on your car, people will pay an arm and a leg for it!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171104_095455.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	247242
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
You could have got A LOT more if you sold it privately I think.
18k is practically giving it away, why would you auction such a gem??

I would love a twin turbo procharger blower on my 3.7 and then sell it for big $$$! What do you think I could get for my Mustang then? 40-50k?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
You could have got A LOT more if you sold it privately I think.
18k is practically giving it away, why would you auction such a gem??

I would love a twin turbo procharger blower on my 3.7 and then sell it for big $$$! What do you think I could get for my Mustang then? 40-50k?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Got to be reasonable! My 2005 S197 V6, 5years old and 26,000 miles cist me $22,000 when I bought it! I sold it for $18K! That's not a bad deal in my opinion! There is no way you can get $40 or $50k on a V6 Twin Turbo! The trick is getting the most for your money after you've used the car for a certain amount of years!

Your car value plus the kit! Then a little more just to be happy! The deal has got to make sense!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp.ecoboost View Post
Got to be reasonable! My 2005 S197 V6, 5years old and 26,000 miles cist me $22,000 when I bought it! I sold it for $18K! That's not a bad deal in my opinion! There is no way you can get $40 or $50k on a V6 Twin Turbo! The trick is getting the most for your money after you've used the car for a certain amount of years!

Your car value plus the kit! Then a little more just to be happy! The deal has got to make sense!
Gotcha, but even if I have other mods?
Like you said they have discontinued the 3.7 so it could be considered a rare collectable car now! ?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
Dam I could have sold my 2012 coyote for like 50k then vs the 20ish I did. 🙄😏

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Gotcha, but even if I have other mods?
Like you said they have discontinued the 3.7 so it could be considered a rare collectable car now! ?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Exactly! Especially the 2015 V6 which was only produced for 2yrs! Put some kind if forced induction on it, and it will be valuable! I mean think about it! A V6 making V8 power? 300HP is a lot of power, and your car us doing it on a stock tune! That 3.7K engine is no slouch! Get rims and get some GT350R body parts on it, and get that intercooled Procharger kit and you won't even want to sell it! And if you do you'll get some good money! But it is a collectors item because it produces 305HP on 87 octane gasoline! The 1984-86 GT350 made 175HP out if a High Output 5.0 liter motor! So rest assured your car is a collectors item!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Cool, maybe I'll just keep it and watch the value go up!
Does it also help that it's Candy Apple metallic red? I believe 2013 was the last year of that color!
They also say that red cars ARE the fastest colors, but I'm not sure about that.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Cool, maybe I'll just keep it and watch the value go up!
Does it also help that it's Candy Apple metallic red? I believe 2013 was the last year of that color!
They also say that red cars ARE the fastest colors, but I'm not sure about that.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
So its the same color as the 2013 GT500 that went 197mph on YouTube! Search (Ignition Episode 18)!! Yep if your car is that color, you do best to sit on it for a few years and get that Procharger kit!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Will do! Thanks man!!👍

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
The reason I say get the Procharger kit, is because its easy to install yourself! Its intercooled so its just like having a turbo!

Turbo kits take much longer to install correctly!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Milpitas
Region: California
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Dam I could have sold my 2012 coyote for like 50k then vs the 20ish I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Based on ebay's inventory, you got the right amount! Not go worry!
msp.ecoboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #32
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: rome
Region: Georgia
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykexx View Post
Depends.

Stock - Pretty much dead even
Anything over stock the EB is going to start pulling on the V6. The EB makes crazy torque with just a tune. Take Tune+'s numbers: 93 tune 328WHP/396ftlb. I believe they were getting about 10% better on E30.

I highly doubt we'll see a TTV6 model That would take the spotlight away from the GT. Even if stock they were close...After a tune the V6 would put the shame on the GT.
They could just simply put out a V6 TT and a GT V8 TT. The GT TT from factory would be freaking amazing and eating any and everything for lunch.
flowerpower0186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest

Supporter
 
Hampton CIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Williamsburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Will do! Thanks man!!👍

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
You owe that young man a debt of thanks. Move over Captain Planet!
__________________
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
This thread is why getting advice from internet forums is stupid.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
What do you mean, I've learned so much!!!
Candy Apple red is now confirmed as the fastest color, if I Procharge with a twin turbo 3.7 it will be worth A Lot more than the current book value, and it's a collector car, now that the 3.7 has been discontinued!
Your not gonna find info like THAT on the internet!!
Take that internet!!!!!
Forum fanboy for life!!!!
Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steeda's CARB Certified ProFlow EcoBoost Mustang Cold Air Intake (15-17 EcoBoost) tj@steeda 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6) 0 11-09-2016 08:37 PM
11-14 GT or 16+ Ecoboost? V6 stang 2011-2014 Mustang GT 45 05-27-2016 11:29 AM
Ecoboost elkoritaNAY 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 1 11-07-2015 01:03 AM
An EcoBoost GT??? Guard 5.0 2015 Mustang GT 45 09-12-2015 07:40 PM
Ecoboost tonygar100 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6) 3 03-16-2015 03:05 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:31 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.