Mustang Evolution Forum banner

93 octane?

8K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Spykexx 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 ecoboost. Manual says 87 but should I run 93?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#7 ·
I know on my 3.7 V6 Automatic I sure feel a huge difference between 87 and 93 Octane,
IN MY WALLET ONLY,
Not in the way the car goes.
Ronnie

Reactions: 51008
#10 · (Edited)
It might make more power but "NOT" that you will ever notice.
It is like taking a Placebo and not the real medication.
It will make your brain feel like more power and that will make you happy but you are paying for something you can live without unless you buy a tuner and tune for the 93 octane.
Hey, I bought an AirAid CAI knowing the stock airbox was just as good but It was something I wanted and it makes me happy to hear the swoosh and eye candy under the hood, So if anyone wants to run 93 instead of 87, "DO IT" if it makes you happy. It sure ain't going to mess anything up.
A while back, I tried 89 shell, 93 shell and no ethanol that shell sells and my mileage never changed and my V6 seemed to run the same no matter what gas I used.
Ronnie

#14 ·
Is the OEM tune capable of adjusting based on the fuel, or is this gain with an aftermarket tune? I suppose if they can make a computer adjust for "flex fuel", I would imagine it can..? I know my case is not relevant, but mine requires "premium fuel only" as sold, but that is because of the compression (and older tech). Plus, I'm betting "premium" mean 91-93 octane. Older setups definitely require a tune for fuel, unless you tune it for 87 and the owner puts in 93 octane. It would basically just be wasting fuel in that case.

#12 ·
OK- I really truly believe you.

If I could gain TWENTY HORSEPOWER by just using a more expensive gas without doing a tune or any mods, I would not hesitate spending the extra $$$$$.
I don't have a turbo four so I can't dispute what your saying.
I do know that on my V6 - There is "NO" notable difference at all in the butt dyno.
Where did you get the twenty horsepower information from??????
Ronnie

#21 ·
If I could gain TWENTY HORSEPOWER by just using a more expensive gas without doing a tune or any mods, I would not hesitate spending the extra $$$$$.
I don't have a turbo four so I can't dispute what your saying.
I do know that on my V6 - There is "NO" notable difference at all in the butt dyno.
Where did you get the twenty horsepower information from??????
Ronnie
Ronnie.....you are absolutely right that there is NO difference for your V6 to run it with 93 octane.
However, you could not be more wrong to claim the same thing for the more modern direct injected turbo 4 EcoBoost.

Early reports of the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost hinted at the notion that the power figures would be significantly lower when an owner filled up with 87 octane fuel. When running the good stuff, the EcoBoost engine produces 310 horsepower and 320 pound-feet of torque. Should you decide to fill up with 87, you can expect a power output of 275 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque, at least that's according to a Ford training manual obtained by Mustang6G.

#15 ·
The owners manual states that 87 octane is the minimum recommended octane. It also states that for improved performance and for severe duty premium is recommended.

I would interpret that to mean it is tuned to run on premium but can detune itself to accept regular hence the power difference. There has been Ford documents posted that state the rated power was measured with premium.

#22 ·
I do believe the turbo 4 may pick up a little more power but it sure is "NOT" going to be 20 horsepower.
Not without a tune.
Ronnie

#23 ·
Each degree of timing on a common turbo motor is about 5-7 hp and torque at the wheels, which if you factor 15% back to the crank is really only like 3-4* of timing. Not exactly a stretch.

Again, the motor from the factory is tuned for 87, and then the computer is allowed to add timing up to the amount that equals the rated 310/320 figures. That way if someone runs 87 it does not have to remove timing after the thing starts knocking, but if people run premium (like they should on a turbo motor) they will get the true advertised HP ratings.

#25 · (Edited)
There is absolutely "NO" difference in the way the car feels with 93 or NON ETHANOL which is 90 octane rated here.
I tried a few tank fulls of each and I could not see any difference at all and the MPG remained the same no matter which gas was put into my tank.
If there is any increase in power, You sure can't feel it.
It really don't matter anyway, Run the gas you like and enjoy the Mustang because the V6 runs good on any gas you put in it.
Ronnie

PS: Mike, What is the difference in the price of 87 and 93 up where you live.?
Here in Daytona it is about 40 cents a gallon more for 93 at my Shell station

#27 ·
Just filled up the Fusion yesterday and regular was 1.09 a liter, 93 I believe was 1.33.
It goes up quickly here, last Thursday it jumped from 1.11 to 1.29 overnight.
We run 87 99% of the time in our Fusion and Edge while the Mustang gets 91.
It's definitely not cheap filling 3 cars!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#28 ·
I know what you mean, When I was in Canada with my Harley, I was surprised how much gas costs up there.
I just filled up at the shell station I use and the 87 was $1.34 and the 91 was $1.59 and the 93 was $1.89 per gallon.
Ain't no way I'm spending an extra .55 cents a gallon for something that makes no notable difference in my V6.
Soon after I bought my car I went to Orlando Speed World and ran it just to see, I did a 13.3 and was using BJ's gas at that time. 87 octane.
I would bet it would not do any better then that with 93 octane gas.
Like I keep saying, Use what you feel comfortable with and can afford.

#30 ·
If you get to the Daytona area you better let me know.
If you get to Orlando, Let me know too.
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.