93 octane? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

93 octane?

I have a 2017 ecoboost. Manual says 87 but should I run 93?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
daltontroy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Region: Massachusetts
It states 87 minimum, there is a very noticeable difference in power between 87 and 93 with the 2.3 Ecoboost.

Won't hurt anything if you run 87, you will need to decide if the added power with 93 is worth the added cost.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #3

Yea I just filled up my first tank of 93 so I'll see if I'll really see the difference. I'm ordering a tuner for it so I need to be running the 93 anyways when I get it

daltontroy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I can feel a huge difference between 87 and 93.
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

Region: Missouri
with direct injection you can run regular, but will notice more power with the 93. I would run at least a tank a month of the 93 to keep the valves clean
Bloodwater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltontroy13 View Post
I have a 2017 ecoboost. Manual says 87 but should I run 93?

93 Octane is mainly used with a Tune. I am using the Cobb Tuner for that. That will give you the extra push you need. Be prepped though to lower those MPGs.
BoosTang23T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know on my 3.7 V6 Automatic I sure feel a huge difference between 87 and 93 Octane,
IN MY WALLET ONLY,
Not in the way the car goes.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ford claims that either can be used with the eco boost. The 93 will make more power but if you use 87 the computer will detune the car to run properly but it just won't make as much power.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I know on my 3.7 V6 Automatic I sure feel a huge difference between 87 and 93 Octane,
IN MY WALLET ONLY,
Not in the way the car goes.
Ronnie
Really? $7 on a 15 gallon fill is a huge difference in your wallet! 😉
Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It might make more power but "NOT" that you will ever notice.
It is like taking a Placebo and not the real medication.
It will make your brain feel like more power and that will make you happy but you are paying for something you can live without unless you buy a tuner and tune for the 93 octane.
Hey, I bought an AirAid CAI knowing the stock airbox was just as good but It was something I wanted and it makes me happy to hear the swoosh and eye candy under the hood, So if anyone wants to run 93 instead of 87, "DO IT" if it makes you happy. It sure ain't going to mess anything up.
A while back, I tried 89 shell, 93 shell and no ethanol that shell sells and my mileage never changed and my V6 seemed to run the same no matter what gas I used.
Ronnie
Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #11

In the case of the 2.3l Ecoboost (which is the discussion on this thread) there is on the order of a 20HP difference between 87 and 93 that is significant and easily felt by the butt dyno.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

OK- I really truly believe you.

If I could gain TWENTY HORSEPOWER by just using a more expensive gas without doing a tune or any mods, I would not hesitate spending the extra $$$$$.
I don't have a turbo four so I can't dispute what your saying.
I do know that on my V6 - There is "NO" notable difference at all in the butt dyno.
Where did you get the twenty horsepower information from??????
Ronnie
Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #13

From the many Dyno pulls people have published. Also, with the Focus ST they actually published in the owners manual the power difference between 87 and 93 who h with the STs 2.0 was 10 HP.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
In the case of the 2.3l Ecoboost (which is the discussion on this thread) there is on the order of a 20HP difference between 87 and 93 that is significant and easily felt by the butt dyno.
Is the OEM tune capable of adjusting based on the fuel, or is this gain with an aftermarket tune? I suppose if they can make a computer adjust for "flex fuel", I would imagine it can..? I know my case is not relevant, but mine requires "premium fuel only" as sold, but that is because of the compression (and older tech). Plus, I'm betting "premium" mean 91-93 octane. Older setups definitely require a tune for fuel, unless you tune it for 87 and the owner puts in 93 octane. It would basically just be wasting fuel in that case.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #15

The owners manual states that 87 octane is the minimum recommended octane. It also states that for improved performance and for severe duty premium is recommended.

I would interpret that to mean it is tuned to run on premium but can detune itself to accept regular hence the power difference. There has been Ford documents posted that state the rated power was measured with premium.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The owners manual states that 87 octane is the minimum recommended octane. It also states that for improved performance and for severe duty premium is recommended.

I would interpret that to mean it is tuned to run on premium but can detune itself to accept regular hence the power difference. There has been Ford documents posted that state the rated power was measured with premium.
Sounds like the new computers are a lot more technologically advanced than even from 10 years ago. That would be really handy if you are traveling and need to buy gas in areas that do it sell 93 octane.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

You're close, but realistically its the other way around.

The modern Ford ECUs have a parameter called the "octane adjust ratio," that will allow the computer, within limit, to add timing until either the max allowed timing is added (to the commanded base value) or knock is reached.

For example, the car may be tuned for 5* of timing at 2.0 load at 4000 rpms. If the Octane adjust ratio allows for +2*, the computer will add timing at that given load and RPM point until it either reached 7* (2+5) OR knock was reached.

Obviously this works both ways, as the computer does have the ability to pull timing due to a knock event as well, but it's smarter and safer to be adding timing as opposed to pulling it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I only run Shell 93.

Why???

Because I can and the Roush Tune is for 93 octane.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

... Thanks?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2673ad View Post
Hello

I only run Shell 93.

Why???

Because I can and the Roush Tune is for 93 octane.

I prefer Shell 93 too. In fact, I buy fuel at the same gas station each time in hopes to limit the chances of getting a tank of bad gas.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
If I could gain TWENTY HORSEPOWER by just using a more expensive gas without doing a tune or any mods, I would not hesitate spending the extra $$$$$.
I don't have a turbo four so I can't dispute what your saying.
I do know that on my V6 - There is "NO" notable difference at all in the butt dyno.
Where did you get the twenty horsepower information from??????
Ronnie
Ronnie.....you are absolutely right that there is NO difference for your V6 to run it with 93 octane.
However, you could not be more wrong to claim the same thing for the more modern direct injected turbo 4 EcoBoost.

Early reports of the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost hinted at the notion that the power figures would be significantly lower when an owner filled up with 87 octane fuel. When running the good stuff, the EcoBoost engine produces 310 horsepower and 320 pound-feet of torque. Should you decide to fill up with 87, you can expect a power output of 275 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque, at least that's according to a Ford training manual obtained by Mustang6G.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I do believe the turbo 4 may pick up a little more power but it sure is "NOT" going to be 20 horsepower.
Not without a tune.
Ronnie
Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do believe the turbo 4 may pick up a little more power but it sure is "NOT" going to be 20 horsepower.
Not without a tune.
Ronnie
Each degree of timing on a common turbo motor is about 5-7 hp and torque at the wheels, which if you factor 15% back to the crank is really only like 3-4* of timing. Not exactly a stretch.

Again, the motor from the factory is tuned for 87, and then the computer is allowed to add timing up to the amount that equals the rated 310/320 figures. That way if someone runs 87 it does not have to remove timing after the thing starts knocking, but if people run premium (like they should on a turbo motor) they will get the true advertised HP ratings.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
[QUOTE=Guard 5.0;4261630922]Ronnie.....you are absolutely right that there is NO difference for your V6 to run it with 93 octane.

Incorrect, the 3.7 WILL make more power on the factory tune when running 93 as opposed to 87.
The 3.7 will also add timing when using 93 as opposed to always running 87.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

There is absolutely "NO" difference in the way the car feels with 93 or NON ETHANOL which is 90 octane rated here.
I tried a few tank fulls of each and I could not see any difference at all and the MPG remained the same no matter which gas was put into my tank.
If there is any increase in power, You sure can't feel it.
It really don't matter anyway, Run the gas you like and enjoy the Mustang because the V6 runs good on any gas you put in it.
Ronnie

PS: Mike, What is the difference in the price of 87 and 93 up where you live.?
Here in Daytona it is about 40 cents a gallon more for 93 at my Shell station
Old 10-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Because the ECU uses the knock sensors, it advances the timing more with 93 which gives you more power.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is absolutely "NO" difference in the way the car feels with 93 or NON ETHANOL which is 90 octane rated here.
I tried a few tank fulls of each and I could not see any difference at all and the MPG remained the same no matter which gas was put into my tank.
If there is any increase in power, You sure can't feel it.
It really don't matter anyway, Run the gas you like and enjoy the Mustang because the V6 runs good on any gas you put in it.
Ronnie

PS: Mike, What is the difference in the price of 87 and 93 up where you live.?
Here in Daytona it is about 40 cents a gallon more for 93 at my Shell station
Just filled up the Fusion yesterday and regular was 1.09 a liter, 93 I believe was 1.33.
It goes up quickly here, last Thursday it jumped from 1.11 to 1.29 overnight.
We run 87 99% of the time in our Fusion and Edge while the Mustang gets 91.
It's definitely not cheap filling 3 cars!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know what you mean, When I was in Canada with my Harley, I was surprised how much gas costs up there.
I just filled up at the shell station I use and the 87 was $1.34 and the 91 was $1.59 and the 93 was $1.89 per gallon.
Ain't no way I'm spending an extra .55 cents a gallon for something that makes no notable difference in my V6.
Soon after I bought my car I went to Orlando Speed World and ran it just to see, I did a 13.3 and was using BJ's gas at that time. 87 octane.
I would bet it would not do any better then that with 93 octane gas.
Like I keep saying, Use what you feel comfortable with and can afford.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

God damn, 1.89 a gallon for 93? That's like 60ish cents a liter! I'd run that in all 3 of our cars lol.

You guys have it good when it comes to fuel prices that's 4 sure!
Btw going down to Florida for our first time! Can't wait!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you get to the Daytona area you better let me know.
If you get to Orlando, Let me know too.
Ronnie
Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Landing in Orlando, staying about 30 minutes away. Can't wait!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Paying $2.50 a gallon in Oklahoma for 91 ... this is Bull**** lol.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #33
Lorraine's driver

Regular

(3 was $2.78/gal about a week ago when I filled up. Usually it's $3.05 to $3.20/gal.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The modern Ford ECUs have a parameter called the "octane adjust ratio," that will allow the computer, within limit, to add timing until either the max allowed timing is added (to the commanded base value) or knock is reached.
This is right on, and one thing to definitely keep in mind. It's always one of my gauges at all times. OAR is a value ranging from -1.0 to +1.0. The OAR takes fuel octane and knock sensor events into account, and will either add or subtract timing. Using 93 I usually sit between -1.0 and -.97. Once I switched to using 91 regularly because our only 93 retailer is shell and we definitely get hit for it I usually hover in the -.89 to -.80. I've seen reports of 87 coming in at anywhere from -.2 to -.5 depending on where the fuel came from.

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/05/...#slide-2620974
This article talks about the loss of power going with 87 over 93. A loss of around 11.3% is what they found. 310 on 93, 275 on 87.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-ecob...ratio-monitor/
Here's cobb's page on it that explains OAR pretty good, and how it's used in fords turbo motors.

https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/m...oost-dyno-data
Speedfactory also did an 87 vs 92 octane comparison on the dyno.
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)