Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mods for Mustang V6

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Hey i have a 2017 mustang v6 with roush axelback (not for power just for sound) a x pipe, drop in k&n filter, and MPT 93 oct tune. beside gears and porting intakes that I want to avoid for the moment because the difficulty of installation, what other mods will be good for adding power?

The next mod on my list are shorty headers.

Any other good suggestions.

Thanks for the answers.

#4 ·
Do you have a manual or auto trans? Either way — gears are going to get you going in the first couple of gears more quickly. What gears do you have now?
The trouble with “over gearing” is that then you frequently have traction issues (although probably not as big a V6 issue:whistling:)....so you are into bigger wheels and wider tires to get the power to the ground.

#5 ·
My car is a Auto trans, I believe that the stock gears of the car is 3.15 i have been thinking of changing them but seems that they are complicate to change and can go up wrong if the person that do the work don't know how to do it properly. Also heard that you have to change for a 8.8 rear differential and some other parts. Don't know if is as complicated as its seems.

Thanks for your time.

#9 · (Edited)
The gears are not something you’d want to do yourself, as the lash for the pinion gear setting is critical to avoid loud whining of the gear set.
A competent mechanic (check to see if they have experience with Fords and shimming the gears when installing and make them guarantee that the gears won’t whine when they are done) should be able to do it for you — and if they whine after that, you can always take it back and give them another shot at it.
And, yes, sometimes a bigger diffential housing is needed when you change gear sets, which does make changing the gears MUCH more expensive, as the whole rear end needs to be bought and changed out. Do you have junkyards there where any wrecked 5.0’s might be sitting there waiting for you to scavenge the differential?

#6 ·
For the 5.0 you don't want to touch the rear gears in an auto. Not sure if the 3.7L should do them or not. I'd be careful before swapping gears.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the info on gear swapping and for the idea to check on a Junkyard for a gear housing if I need to change the one that is in the car. For a automatic V6 what gears would be better 3.73 or 4.09 the cars is a daily driver? Want to get the best performances and mantain the practicality of a daily driver.

Thanks to all of you for yours responses! Have been of great help.

#15 ·
^seriously?

Reactions: crjackson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.