Getting new mustang, need help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Getting new mustang, need help.

Alright, so my 2003 mustang is being totaled out due to a hit and run...no need to say I am beyond crushed because I have been building it for a few years. However, I am now looking into a new one. I want a convertible GT and I think I've narrowed it down. My main question is about the manual vs automatic transmission. I love manuals, but I've found an automatic for cheaper (1000 dollars). Both are 2001 GTs with the basic mods (CAI, coils, Exhaust) so how big is the difference in quarter mile times and 0-60s. I know the difference between the V6 models were staggering. How about the GTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Robbymyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
You'll have more fun with a manual...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Maybe somebody will chime in,but if it is a variant of the 5r55s transmission get a manual
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, my 2003 was a manual btw, but with it being convertible I figured it might be a decent trade off, especially considering my girlfriend and her friends are begging me to get a convertible. Ugh, I just don't want to dig my own grave for the track especially if I plan on doing serious work (ported, eventually to procharge)

Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Getting new mustang, need help.

Which being a convertible it's not going to have the structural rigidity like a coupe will, the frame will flex more, and naturally it will weigh more than the coupe. But if you plan on building the engine I'd recommend building or buying another trans. There's plenty of good ones out there. But with the manual you'll have to upgrade a few more components than an auto. Which adding a torque converter to the auto would be a good thing too...
There's pros and cons on both sides, it really leads down to budget costs, engine power output, the way you drive it, and personal preference. Personally, I'd take the manual, but that's just me...

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'd take the manual coupe. I'd pass on the convertible.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The auto will actually be better at 1/4 mile times if that is what you are into. J-mod and converter will allow it to shift harder and faster and more consistently than the manual trans. Better launches too. You will be heavier with a vert though and subframes should be #1 on your list of mods.

When modified, stick shift is really only faster around corners. For street driving, it really is all personal preference though. You will never have the control with an auto that you have with a stick but it can get close, especially with a properly setup/tuned auto.

edit: The stick shift is going to be faster until you do the converter and 4.10s and the converter is probably the final thing you should be doing after all the "basic bolt ons". A full bolt on/stalled/tuned 2V PI car with suspension upgrades and sticky tires is a mid 12 second car all day. This is a ballpark estimate at sea level at full weight btw. YMMV.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
The auto GT's have the same 4r70W 3spd with overdrive that the v6's have. The auto GT's are much slower in stock form compared to the manuals due to the craptacular factory programming.

As said, if your plans are to rip the 1320 every weekend, get the auto then plan on building it up or even look into a 4R75W upgrade (auto Mach 1's trans) and build that to be bulletproof.

If it's just going to be a street car then I'd stick with the 5spd. Much more fun light to light and on the twisties imo.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Also, buy the car YOU want...not to sound like a dick but your girlfriend and her "friends" may be long gone well before your car will be, so might as well get something YOU'LL be happy with lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Also, buy the car YOU want...not to sound like a dick but your girlfriend and her "friends" may be long gone well before your car will be, so might as well get something YOU'LL be happy with lol.
Bingo

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
The auto GT's have the same 4r70W 3spd with overdrive that the v6's have. The auto GT's are much slower in stock form compared to the manuals due to the craptacular factory programming.

As said, if your plans are to rip the 1320 every weekend, get the auto then plan on building it up or even look into a 4R75W upgrade (auto Mach 1's trans) and build that to be bulletproof.

If it's just going to be a street car then I'd stick with the 5spd. Much more fun light to light and on the twisties imo.
The GT had it too, which is why if you are buying a New Edge auto you always want to get an 04 if possible. If you are looking at 96-98 cars, then the 98 as it got the first major 4R upgrade (as well as some VERY late run 97s).

Quote:
Um yeah... this hits the nail on the head.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The GT had it too, which is why if you are buying a New Edge auto you always want to get an 04 if possible. If you are looking at 96-98 cars, then the 98 as it got the first major 4R upgrade (as well as some VERY late run 97s).
Hmm...did not know the GT's got it too. Must have used up the left over 4r70W's on the 04 v6's then lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So I decided to stick with the 2001 Gt automatic. One being its a little bit nicer than that manual with a cleaner car fax, and I don't mind it being a convertible. Even if the girlfriend goes it wouldn't hurt my feelings to drop the top some days. Plus after new controls arms, torque converter, under drive pulley, 4:10 gears, and drag/street tires I'm hoping to be somewhere in the 12.8, or lower. I had the 2003 V6 in 13s but it was a manual. That's why I was curious about the automatics. But thanks for the info guys. I'll post pictures soon.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

First things first, pictures?

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

When I get it I will post, but I don't want to hype anything up and then have the insurance company screw me over.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Hmm...did not know the GT's got it too. Must have used up the left over 4r70W's on the 04 v6's then lol.
The V6 4R was a completely different bellhousing bolt pattern. And slightly different internals too. The good news for pushrod guys is that the V6 4R bolts right up to a Windsor smallblock. Lots of pushrod drag cars run built V6 4R transmissions with a manual valve body or a standalone.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430918067.197450.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	181978. So I decided with the convertible, not because it was a convertible but it's has over 2300 dollars worth of mods not counting labor. My last one had more so at least I'm not building from the ground up again. And to be honest with the last few sunny days I really enjoy having the top down.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just be warned that with a modded car, even a mega clean one from another enthusiast who isn't an idiot is going to have weird **** that you'll find sooner or later and scratch your head.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I found that one, the front bumper. Though the engine is in top shape and luckily, I'm having my mechanic do an entire engine sweep and compression test just to make sure I didn't buy a hunk of junk. He had some slips and is supposedly does a 13.3 on regular gas. It was somebody's you they built up and then it was in a fender bender which is where the cobra bumper came in. However the bumper is basically held on by zip ties on the left side. But it needed a new paint job anyway and getting it fixed isn't going to blow the bank.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Really nice looking car! congrats and better luck!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A convertible is def a head turner lol. More people stare when I'm driving around in my 96 GT convertible compared to 2015 hard top.

GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
You know when I was buying my 03 coupe, it seemed like I found just as many convertibles for sale as coupes. They were typically nicer, lower mileage cars than the coupes and the price reflected that.

Nice car! Sorry to hear your 03 had to go...

dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats on the new ride but sorry about your old mustang...
Nothing like driving with the top down tho! And the convertibles look so good in any year too!

ragtopman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert