Shift Knobs (hope this is right section for this) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Shift Knobs (hope this is right section for this)

My Cobra came with a "Dojo" shift knob, and thats all i know about it, its a chrome ball. i HATE it. its uncomfortable to shift with and gets scorching hot when left in the sun. (every day). In Mustangs past ive put in mostly T handle shifters. i just like how they feel. back when i had my last Mustang (07-08 or so) i ordered a really cool looking T handle from Modular Powerhouse (now out of business according to searching google) it had a really cool mustang logo on the top of it and was made from Billet Aluminum didnt get hot and felt good in my hand. does anyone know where i could find one similar or if they have one willing to sell? oh and it was a threaded shift knob not one of those alen screw ones, like what on my car now... constantly have to tighten it.
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Any Mustang or Cobra themed T handle suggestions are welcome, just link it for me please
Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Shift Knobs (hope this is right section for this)

I'd suggest looking on eBay, or maybe check and see if AM (American Muscle) has them available on their site. AM has several reps on the forum, you can PM one of them. They can steer you in the right direction. Meanwhile, I'll do some digging and let you know what I find.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I'd suggest looking on eBay, or maybe check and see if AM (American Muscle) has them available on their site. AM has several reps on the forum, you can PM one of them. They can steer you in the right direction. Meanwhile, I'll do some digging and let you know what I find.

Adventure till you drop
Thank you!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Mustang Competition T Shift Handle (79-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Jon3.7 i found that one, but it is an allen screw one, i was looking for a threaded one. but $20 is hard to beat. ill have to think that one over.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Might have been a hurst shifter.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had a cobra head. Lol. It was seriously hard to deal with but looked crazy cool in the car. It wasn't the cheap silver looking one. I'm sure there is a company out there making exactly what you're looking for. It's finding them that's the trick maybe if we all help search.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I am sort of with you. Everyone seems to have a ball type. I like the T handle but trying for something unique. Anyone know of a place that will make a one off?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I am sort of with you. Everyone seems to have a ball type. I like the T handle but trying for something unique. Anyone know of a place that will make a one off?
Ditto, a one off would be AWESOME!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i like how the allen screw ones are cheaper but a few "hard" shifts later and u have to re-tighten them. so far the only threaded ones ive found only have the "Hurst" or "B&M" logos (which i dont want) guess the search continues lol!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I believe the eBay vendor is called twistedshifterz. The guy has thousands of shifters with all sorts of thread patterns, you could try looking thrrr
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I believe the eBay vendor is called twistedshifterz. The guy has thousands of shifters with all sorts of thread patterns, you could try looking thrrr
Thank you! ill send him a PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i looked through the list of members and there is no twistedshifterz?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
That is his name on eBay, I don't think he is here.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 RioRed SVT View Post
Thanks Jon3.7 i found that one, but it is an allen screw one, i was looking for a threaded one. but $20 is hard to beat. ill have to think that one over.
Do NOT buy that T-Handle. I tried it and if AM did not immediately refund me my $20 it was going in the trash. It uses a plastic insert and then the allen screw goes into that... yeah...

For a T handle with the threaded nut, BBK or Hurst and that's really it. I mean there are the UPR billet ones... I have not seen a non-metal T-Handle tho. I don't even like the stock knobs that much because they aren't totally locked into place.

And yes, never ever ever buy anything with an allen set screw. All those do is loosen up over time and move on you at the worst possible moment while tearing up the threads on your shifter arm.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Do NOT buy that T-Handle. I tried it and if AM did not immediately refund me my $20 it was going in the trash. It uses a plastic insert and then the allen screw goes into that... yeah...

For a T handle with the threaded nut, BBK or Hurst and that's really it. I mean there are the UPR billet ones... I have not seen a non-metal T-Handle tho. I don't even like the stock knobs that much because they aren't totally locked into place.

And yes, never ever ever buy anything with an allen set screw. All those do is loosen up over time and move on you at the worst possible moment while tearing up the threads on your shifter arm.
And if it doesn't come with a jam nut, MGW sells jam nuts on their website. I have a CNC machined one from them on mine. Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and you should them.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/73
Old 06-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Try this link , no T-Handles but some nice ball shifters!
Mustang Shift Knobs
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:07 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I like my "sickspeed" (ebay) one and they have a nice selection
Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I thought about changing my hurst ball but every time I look at it I love the old school look of it and then I can't get my self to do it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Scottad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wouldn't mind having a cue ball on my ecoboost. Guessing that I would have to relocate the shifter safety switch though...

Sent from my phone using Mustang Evolution app.
Vinny
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i have found a TON of ball shifters that have the "Snake" and "Pony" i want but i want it on a T-handle. im quite stubborn about that lol. i HATE the ball feel. i want a handle i can grab and "man handle" gears with lol. ever since i had my first T-handle ive always loved them. im wondering how costly it would be to find a shop with a CNC machine and just have them make me a custom one off? surely there are a few shops in San Digo Ca. id like it to be local to save on shipping lol. Thanks again everyone for your input, has given me lots of options should my T-handle endeavor get squashed. lol

One note, i already have a Short throw shifter, all im looking for is the knob.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Where did you find the ball shift knobs?

Sent from my phone using Mustang Evolution app.
Vinny
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

SickSpeed (Ebay) I went with old school white cueball with the shift pattern engraved on it.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Note the base model 2012 steering wheel of hard plastic that I wrapped in friction tape with a contrasting centering strip (it's now yellow) old school rat rod simple and cheap like a good date.

remember to get the retainer collar. I had good luck emailing them for what I wanted.

forgot you have the lever lock...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130373.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	185464  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert