Advice on 2010 V6 Premium Convertible - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

Region: Washington
Advice on 2010 V6 Premium Convertible

Hi,

Just picked up a 2010 V6 Prem Conv with slushbox, 40K miles. I have a couple of questions.

The car has a 30-day warranty. What are the 'tender' spots of these cars? What should I be most concerned about? I have had warranty on cars for the last ten years and feel like I am working without a net.

This was a 'fleet' vehicle. I've heard that can be good or bad... what do you think?

I'm planning a tranny fluid change soon - is it time? Any recommendations?

It's obvious that the conv top has just been ignored - does that spell trouble for things like oil changes, etc.? and what can I do to hedge my bets and make/keep this car reliable.

I want to be able to let go of my worry that I am driving someone else's lemon.
dorkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Did you get a copy of the car fax report to get an idea if it has a maintenance record?

I would start with a clean slate. New fluids, spark plugs, brakes, check the tires, etc. This is assuming the worst. Most places will inspect the shocks and struts for you. If it has about 40k miles, then chances are the person got rid of it when the suspension and tires were about needed to be changed. This is typical. I cannot count how many times I have seen cars traded in before their 50k mile maintenance cycle just because the person would rather get a different car then fix up their current one.

Post some pics!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on new fluids (may not need it but won't hurt) and check what Kevin said. These are reasonably reliable cars. I wouldn't let the top worry me. When I buy used I look at battery terminals, if they've been treated/cleaned you know it's been maintained but corrosion does NOT mean the oil's never been changed.

enjoy (and it don't count unless you post pictures)
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
If it was a fleet vehicle, good would be, all the fluids would be changed in a timely manner at mileage intervals... Bad, probably has been beat on by whomever was driving the vehicle.

With it being a fleet vehicle, it should have service records and receipts.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #5

Region: Washington
OK, so time for a pic... or four

OK, so here are a couple of pics of the beast after a short drive. Looking pretty nice but the engine bay needs detailed very badly.

Off to do some research on how to best do that - tomorrow.

Yes she needs a little attitude. Kind of a chick car right now. Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0053.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	183801   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0058.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	183802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0054.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	183803   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0056.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	183804  

dorkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

New rimes and maybe a rear decklid panel can add some attitude to the exterior. The interiors on the Premiums are already nice.

Also, contemplate if you want to do any stripes. There are all kinds for these cars. AM has a few, and so do other vendors. Maybe a nice muffler to give your car some sound.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
2010 so you have the 4.0 V6. A very stout engine and will handle a lot of abuse (ran a 75 shot of nitrous on mine, then pulled it off at 90,000 and added a supercharger and sold it with 203,000 miles on it with very few problems).

One thing to check right away is the plastic thermostat housing. They are prone to leaks. Look at the back side and see if there is any evidence (you will see some dried coolant at the split). It usually splits on the back and spews coolant under your intake manifold.

Very often it is misdiagnosed as a leaking hose or a bad water pump. Easy to fix and takes about a half hour; there is a replacement aluminum housing available (check amazon and ebay). There is no common time frame for how long the plastic housing lasts. My 2006 went 199,881 miles before the housing split open and others have replaced it a couple of times in just 60,000 miles.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Looks nice. I love fleet cars, can get an awesome bargain sometimes.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
Looks nice. I love fleet cars, can get an awesome bargain sometimes.
OP, Congrats on the new mustang. Very beautiful and good luck with modding.

You can get a bargain many times buying a fleet vehicle from a rental car company but me personally, would never buy one. Especially a sports car or sports like car (mustang) being that people tend to beat the ball snot out of them. People abuse the crap out of fleet vehicles.

Not saying the OP's car came from a rental car fleet.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert