Barton Or MGW short shifter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Barton Or MGW short shifter?

my Mustang GT is a weekend car. i will be adding a Procharger after i get the shortshifter and all suspension mods! i dont mind NVH im just looking for the most rigid shifter! by the looks of it MGW bolts on directly to the transmission as where the Barton doesnt! i know both are high quality but i want whats best for track use! any clarification on which performs better and consistent will get my business! unlike a lot of other i dont mind the pull up reverse! i kind of prefer it! but if MGW is better i will go with them.
mats96744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I have a Barton and love it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Barton with two post.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
From what I've read during my research ( I just bought a shifter) it comes down to personal preference as the Barton shifter with 2 post bracket will perform the same as the MGW. Some reviews will lean one way or another but it seems to be all for preference and no reason that one is superior to the other.

I daily drive my car so went with the Barton and standard bracket. Small amount of noise and vibration but have not missed a shift since installing. I really like it and think it's well worth the money spent

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Ive had the barton on my car and it was nice. Then I picked up a used blowfish street bracket and it was perfect. However now running the stock shifter as my wife is learning to drive stick and she found the barton too stiff with her lack of upper body strength to shift smooth. Now it's sitting on my desk. I may end up putting it up for sale because despite the extra length of the stock throw, I think shift time is the same for stock vs the barton because the barton has a much higher effort. Paired with the blowfish the barton is like working a rifle bolt though, tight and precise.

Honestly the best shifter upgrade you can do is either the MGW race spec or add a used blowfish bracket (usually easily found over on SVT for sale). If you really want to improve the shift feel you need to get rid of the body anchor point.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
MGW race spec.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Read reviews and watch videos. But personally I hear nothing but good things about Barton.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Ive had the barton on my car and it was nice. Then I picked up a used blowfish street bracket and it was perfect. However now running the stock shifter as my wife is learning to drive stick and she found the barton too stiff with her lack of upper body strength to shift smooth. Now it's sitting on my desk. I may end up putting it up for sale because despite the extra length of the stock throw, I think shift time is the same for stock vs the barton because the barton has a much higher effort. Paired with the blowfish the barton is like working a rifle bolt though, tight and precise.

Honestly the best shifter upgrade you can do is either the MGW race spec or add a used blowfish bracket (usually easily found over on SVT for sale). If you really want to improve the shift feel you need to get rid of the body anchor point.

well thats something i wasnt taking into consideration is shift stiffness! although i seen in the install video it can be adjusted! my main concern is just being able to shift fast and smoothly without getting lockd out or having to pause in neutral like the stock shifter requires in order for it to feel better (during normal driving)! also im not sure if the MGW race spec shifter retains the back up camera! ive looked through all videos and threads in this and other forums i have not seen it being mentioned! thankyou everyone for your input its just making my decision that much harder lol! but atleast i know i wont be disappointed or regret either choice i make!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Kevin Cook. ive watched both spec/install videos multiple times! i like the presentation of MGW more than Bartons (NVH) concerns. im jus tryna figure out if MGW shifter retains the back up camera! i will shoot dem an email today to verify!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Give George a call at MGW. He would be more than happy to assist you with your questions. I don't see why it wouldnt'. I assume the backup camera is in sync with the reverse lights. 706-793-1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by mats96744 View Post
well thats something i wasnt taking into consideration is shift stiffness! although i seen in the install video it can be adjusted! my main concern is just being able to shift fast and smoothly without getting lockd out or having to pause in neutral like the stock shifter requires in order for it to feel better (during normal driving)! also im not sure if the MGW race spec shifter retains the back up camera! ive looked through all videos and threads in this and other forums i have not seen it being mentioned! thankyou everyone for your input its just making my decision that much harder lol! but atleast i know i wont be disappointed or regret either choice i make!

Old 06-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The MGW is adjustable. The barton is not and I would classify the shift effort as probably increased 50% over the stock. It wasn't a big deal for me, but it made it very hard for my wife to drive the car smoothly.

With my blowfish bracket, I think the total time for a shift is the same for me with the stock shifter and the barton shifter despite the throw length distance difference purly becuase of the effort change. Honestly if you can find a used street version of the blowfish for under $200, I can't recomend the bracket enough. It changes the whole driving experience.

If you want to replace the whole setup definitely go with the MGW race spec from the jump.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

was able to get in contact with George about the MGW race spec shifter here is what he said

"It has no effect on backup camera.

It will not change the thud but we have had feedback that it reduces feeling somewhat

the shifts will be smoother and much more solid.

NVH is not increased much at all BUT the shifter WILL move around a bit more than stock because it is completely solid mounted to the trans now and moves as one with it.". -George

i think i just made my decision to go with MGW.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

nice! I assumed as much. Also, I have driven with a car with a barton. very "notchy" I guess the word is. The mgw is smooth. some people prefer the notchy

Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have the barton with the two post. And its like butter. You cant miss a shift if you tried. The only thing i dont like about it is if youre really romping on it or do a lot of city driving it makes the center console get pretty warm. Other than that its an awesome shifter. And you really have to push down hard to get into reverse which is a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert