Best way to gain more HP - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
so your saying the power curve with the cobra intake makes it not worth it? how can it be that bad? since you guys seam to know so much about the cobra jet intake manifold... please elaborate... i'd love to learn more about it since im considering it for my 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The Cobra Jet Intake can work with the correct corresponding mods. However I've yet to see any benefit of it over the Boss Intake. And the Boss Intake is cheaper.

You say you have a manual transmission. The CJ shines in 7700+ rpm. That's where your transmission/clutch has trouble. So why put in an intake where the other parts won't work well? Put up your current mods so we know what we're working with.

And I've said it many times before but these cars see gains on the exhaust side, not the intake side.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

cars bone stock except for a ford racing 3" catback w/ x pipe. btw you said befor that the cj shines at 5k+rpm now you saying 7700k+???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The CJ intake doesn't really shine over the stock intake until around 5000 rpm and requires you to shift north of 7700 rpm to take full advantage of it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
nice! i am learning so much from this thread

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 AM   #76
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The Boss and Cobra jet intakes were designed to work on certain RPM ranges for best gains within that range. For example, the Boss intake was designed to help the engine produce power in the upper RPM range, since the Boss was set up to be a track type car. Are you going to drive your Mustang primarily in the mid to upper RPM range constantly on the street? If so, then the Boss intake is for you.
The Cobra jet was designed for drag strip type driving, and it's intake is going help deliver its power in the lower RPM ranges. Each have its merits, but it depends on what you are building your street Mustang to be used for.

Then plan your purchases to help in that area. This is also something you want to discuss with the company you go with to create a custom tune for you. They will ask you what the vehicle has in the way of mods; they should also ask where you want your gains seen; lower or upper RPM range. And the good ones will want data logging.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The Boss and Cobra jet intakes were designed to work on certain RPM ranges for best gains within that range. For example, the Boss intake was designed to help the engine produce power in the upper RPM range, since the Boss was set up to be a track type car. Are you going to drive your Mustang primarily in the mid to upper RPM range constantly on the street? If so, then the Boss intake is for you.
The Cobra jet was designed for drag strip type driving, and it's intake is going help deliver its power in the lower RPM ranges. Each have its merits, but it depends on what you are building your street Mustang to be used for.

Then plan your purchases to help in that area. This is also something you want to discuss with the company you go with to create a custom tune for you. They will ask you what the vehicle has in the way of mods; they should also ask where you want your gains seen; lower or upper RPM range. And the good ones will want data logging.
Thanks for that!
Seems like an intake will be waste of money for my drive
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 AM   #78
Road Trip!

Best way to gain more HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
Thanks for that!

Seems like an intake will be waste of money for my drive

Here is my 2 cents... The Boss and Cobra jet intakes, while they look awesome do not do much for daily driving as most guys have stated on here. However if you like the looks go for the Boss. True you lose a little toque in the lower power band, Torque you will not notice but the dyno will. You will gain HP, that is what you are looking for. Lets put it in street talk terms at your local cruise in.

A guy comes up and says, nice car love the Boss intake, how much power does your car make? You answer XXXHP.

You very, very rarely here, wow nice car I love the boss intake, how much torque is she putting down? Or How much HP and TQ is it putting down?

Majority of people care about HP first and foremost. Hence your topic subject... Best ways to gain more horse power!

Do what YOU feel is best and what YOU like. Do not get pulled in to a d1ck measuring contest. You want more "POWER" either intake will give you more HP gains. They are not worth the money for the performance minded guy. Unless you add the modifications needed to go along with the intake.

Just do what makes you happy. Remember it is your car and your money. Do not worry about what others say.

Good luck with you power gains.

IMO... Do a 75 or 100 shot of nitrous. HP and TQ gains are the best bang for the buck. Just filling the tank cost money. But that is the cost of power.

Again good luck.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

So what would be the propper supporting mods to get the most out of a cj manifold? Because i too would like to know what kinda power can be made n/a. My plan is to hit 500whp n/a. Its a street car, actually my DD.... So of course 95% of the time im gonna be at low to mid range rpm... But im not too worried about that. Cuz when you step on it and your shifting at redline thats what really matters ( to me at least ). If i can have 500whp i dont expect to have it at 1200rpm. As long as i can down shift and get into the power and have enough low end for decent launches i'd be happy. Obviously this kind of power can be made easily with forced induction but the reason i dont want to go that route is the weaght gains. Op doesnt want to go that route for $ reasons but as far as what the op is trying to acheive i think forced induction may be the best route. N/a power is expensive.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #80
Road Trip!

Best way to gain more HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5liter View Post
So what would be the propper supporting mods to get the most out of a cj manifold? Because i too would like to know what kinda power can be made n/a. My plan is to hit 500whp n/a. Its a street car, actually my DD.... So of course 95% of the time im gonna be at low to mid range rpm... But im not too worried about that. Cuz when you step on it and your shifting at redline thats what really matters ( to me at least ). If i can have 500whp i dont expect to have it at 1200rpm. As long as i can down shift and get into the power and have enough low end for decent launches i'd be happy. Obviously this kind of power can be made easily with forced induction but the reason i dont want to go that route is the weaght gains. Op doesnt want to go that route for $ reasons but as far as what the op is trying to acheive i think forced induction may be the best route. N/a power is expensive.

The easiest way to get 500whp in an N/A motor is to add nitrous. It is a power adder but your motor is still N/A with it.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #81
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
There are a few guys in here that know what it takes to do 500whp NA but from what I've heard them say its new cams, disable TiVCT and run E85. You won't do it with bolt ons and even the best tune.

Honestly it would probably be not all that much more money to do one of the supercharger kits or just do nitrous like was already mentioned. Run 425whp or so on motor with bolt ons/tune and then have a shot of nitrous for track day or just to have fun with.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Im not a fan of n20.... You mention disabling TiVcT... Is that necassary? Why would that be benaficial?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #83
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Run 425whp or so on motor with bolt ons/tune and then have a shot of nitrous for track day or just to have fun with.

+1 that is what I'm doing except I'm a little over 400whp without the spray. I hate NY emissions!!!

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Old 06-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #84
Staff
Regular
Staff

What no longtubes with NY? If not then its not like cats really rob any power... not until you are up in the omfg power range and even then.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
What no longtubes with NY? If not then its not like cats really rob any power... not until you are up in the omfg power range and even then.
NY has Cali - like emissions testing.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #86
Staff
Regular
Staff

As long as you can have a good set of longtubes on it you can run a catted system that'll pass emissions just fine. Just have an emissions tune to flash for the day you have to run through. No 5 year exemption for a new vehicle in NY?

Lol, NJ you just plug into a computer and if no codes they slap a sticker on and say "see you in 2 years".

Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #87
Road Trip!

No exception in NY. Everything is about money in NY.

NY is called the Empire state.

Here in NY we call it the Vampire state. They suck us dry at every turn with fees and taxes.

That is just one of the reasons I am moving out of NY next year.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #88
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
I was going to ask why are you still there. But here's another question why next year and not this year?
Not really any of my business. If it's so bad; wouldn't you want to leave ASAP?

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #89
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1STRRBD View Post
No exception in NY. Everything is about money in NY.

NY is called the Empire state.

Here in NY we call it the Vampire state. They suck us dry at every turn with fees and taxes.

That is just one of the reasons I am moving out of NY next year.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
So they don't allow longtubes then? Like I said you can run a badass exhaust with cats. People lose their **** about having to have OR pipes for some reason.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #90
Road Trip!

Best way to gain more HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I was going to ask why are you still there. But here's another question why next year and not this year?
Not really any of my business. If it's so bad; wouldn't you want to leave ASAP?

Adventure till you drop

I have a house to put on the market and other commitment to take care of. I just can not pick up and leave and be an *** to those who need me.

Your quote said ASAP 😏 ASAP to me means as soon as possible. The possible part is the issue here.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Old 06-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #91
Registered Member

Regular

So any state in particular you have in mind?
If you don't want to answer, that's fine, I understand.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #92
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm actually looking to relocate myself. From NJ to... Dunno. I'm active USAF and we own a house here but it is rented with really good tenants so that is no issue. Being military means I just need to get orders. They will pay for the entire move. Lots of places to go and the CONUS listings come next month.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 06-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #93
Registered Member

Regular

You should come to fort Campbell. I'd love to see that Steeda in person.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #94
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
So any state in particular you have in mind?
If you don't want to answer, that's fine, I understand.

Adventure till you drop

Vermont... I care more about my and my families constitutional rights, in particular my 2nd amendment right, than I do my cars modding ability.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Old 06-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #95
Registered Member

Regular

Good state.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #96
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Vermont... I care more about my and my families constitutional rights, in particular my 2nd amendment right, than I do my cars modding ability.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
This x1000. Not that I'm going to tell anyone what or what they should be looking for, I am simply saying that one needs to research the state laws, education system, taxes etc... etc... and go specifically to their needs. Emissions and tint laws are like... the LAST things you should be worrying about for where you live.

That said, remember that emissions laws are FEDERAL which trumps any state law. You pull your cats off in a state that has zero inspection rules and get busted for no cats the cop has every right to impound your vehicle.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Texas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #98
Staff
Regular
Staff

Texas will be one I am looking at if the job I am applying for in DC does not pan out. Especially someplace where it stays above 40 in the winters. Preferably hotter. Cold sucks crank.

Job in DC is just too good to not try to apply for.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #99
Road Trip!

Quote:
This x1000. Not that I'm going to tell anyone what or what they should be looking for, I am simply saying that one needs to research the state laws, education system, taxes etc... etc... and go specifically to their needs. Emissions and tint laws are like... the LAST things you should be worrying about for where you live.

That said, remember that emissions laws are FEDERAL which trumps any state law. You pull your cats off in a state that has zero inspection rules and get busted for no cats the cop has every right to impound your vehicle.

Wow did you even read what you quoted me on? Modding of my car is a very minor issue it nowhere as important. The Emissions are not what is forcing me out of NY. Do a little better job reading all my post. To help you understand so you are not confused here are the main reasons I'm leaving NY.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #100
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
No use in getting upset guys. There's nothing here to be upset about. If we can't get along, keep it mustang related. If we can't get along talking about mustangs, then don't speak to each other but please don't be rude.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #101
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Wow did you even read what you quoted me on? Modding of my car is a very minor issue it nowhere as important. The Emissions are not what is forcing me out of NY. Do a little better job reading all my post. To help you understand so you are not confused here are the main reasons I'm leaving NY.
Dude I was agreeing with you... the second paragraph was not directed at anyone in general if that was confusing. Jeez...

Not commenting on anything else. Religion and politics are not something I'm discussing on a car board. Why I stay the hell out of the politics board on the corral.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM   #102
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Yeah talking about politics and religion doesn't really get anywhere lol
Old 06-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #103
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Yeah talking about politics and religion doesn't really get anywhere lol

Also against the rules

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Here we go again...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm 4 months away from being a disabled veteran so I get it. You have rights just like all the rest of us. People have fought and died for us to have those rights. But that doesn't mean that you should act like an assclown whenever or wherever you please because you have the "right" to do so. So please for all of us, keep the Mustang forum on mustang topics.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert