Cold Air Intake question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Cold Air Intake question

Are there good reasons why you wouldn't put a cold air intake mod on a V6?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The stock intake is just as good as any. No gains from other intakes. They're pretty much just eye candy and for sound!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue View Post
The stock intake is just as good as any. No gains from other intakes. They're pretty much just eye candy and for sound!

Lol. No. Not at all. An aftermarket is a lot better flowing that the stock tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
They are expensive. They don't do anything that your FACTORY CAI doesn't do....except suck hot air from the engine compartment. They can cause CEL from improper tube diameter and MAF sensor errors.
The absolute last thing I would even consider modding on my 5.0 is changing out my factory CAI.

Good thing he wasn't asking about putting one on your 5.0, or his for that matter.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Large majority aren't a huge improvement with maybe minor gains. You'll get more for a similar price if you get gears and a tune rather than tune and cai. However if you are trying to maximize hp and tq gains you might get a steeda cai, larger tb, ported intakes. But there are ton of posts talking about this.
One reason is price as stated above. But also the fact that most aren't CARB approved. I know for a fact Airaid is CARB approved and possibly the k&n one as well. As for the one that needs a tune such as Steeda, it's not CARB approved which may be a reason not to get one if that's what you really wanted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschrod View Post
Are there good reasons why you wouldn't put a cold air intake mod on a V6?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

To each his own just do not expect to bolt an intake up and gain any horsepower since the factory intake is a cold air intake and flows more then enough. Many of the gains are when you get into the intake and Tune packages and the majority of the gains are from the tune. You could tune a stock car and have gains over the stock as the tune from ford isn't a performance first tune. It takes drivability and mpgs into the equation.

With that said an intake won't hurt anything and many people add them for looks and sound (similar to an axle back). Just have realistic expectations that by itself it won't do much for performance.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Some posts were cleaned up.

Comments and opinions are welcome, but references or insults to someone that installs a mod by any sort of name will not be permitted.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Its a know fact that our factory cold air intake is not at all restrictive and is in fact more of a true cold air intake as its a sealed unit. For 300$ i got looks and sound with no gains.
If anyone is in the market for you'll get a nice sound and looks, but don't expect any different feel in your ride.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

If you are going to get one, I would get the steeda CAI, but keep in mind you will also need a tune for it. And no matter what anyone else says, a CAI is always my very first mod in a mustang, that and a tune, but also keep in mind it is just part of a whole package, for it to be effective you will need to get exhaust and maybe even port your intake to gain a real increase.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just get the AiRaid tube and a AFE Pro S dryflow drop in filter. I know for a fact our factory Airbox runs cooler via AIT readings. I use to have a AiRaid CAI and then used a AiRaid Tube and the filter I told you about above.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

It depends on how far you are willing to go. A CAI will not do much on it's own. With a tune, you might free up 1 pony. It mainly helps with the initial throttle response. The "Seat of the pants" type feel. But you will also want to tune the car to take advantage of anything (if there is anything).

Now if you go Steeda, get a tune, BBK TB, and some headers (shorty or longtube). Also, if you can swing it, a port and polish of your intake manifold is also helpful. This will give you the most potential for gains.

But if you are doing light modding and don't care to squeeze every ounce of throttle response or power from your car, an airaid modular tube and drop in filter will suffice as mentioned above.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Lol. No. Not at all. An aftermarket is a lot better flowing that the stock tubing.

Which doesn't show any gains unless you start modding other things. Just looks cool under the hood and makes you car sounds better. So is it really worth speeding hundreds of dollars for? Depends on the person but for me, no.

Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
It depends on how far you are willing to go. A CAI will not do much on it's own. With a tune, you might free up 1 pony. It mainly helps with the initial throttle response. The "Seat of the pants" type feel. But you will also want to tune the car to take advantage of anything (if there is anything).

Now if you go Steeda, get a tune, BBK TB, and some headers (shorty or longtube). Also, if you can swing it, a port and polish of your intake manifold is also helpful. This will give you the most potential for gains.

But if you are doing light modding and don't care to squeeze every ounce of throttle response or power from your car, an airaid modular tube and drop in filter will suffice as mentioned above.
I agree, if your not planning to go all out the airraid and filter option may be for you, I plan on doing the full system, port intake, upgrading to a steeda cai (which I should have bought instead of the airraid, but didn't know at the time), along with a full exhaust. But as with all mods, you do what feels right to you, if you want a Cai then buy one, again the two commonly used is the Airraid and Steeda, and like what's been said before a tune would also go nicely with it or as in the Steeda's case, you will need one.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Which doesn't show any gains unless you start modding other things. Just looks cool under the hood and makes you car sounds better. So is it really worth speeding hundreds of dollars for? Depends on the person but for me, no.

Some people spend over $500 in exhaust so their car will sound better, while a cai isn't the same as buying an exhaust, it still is along the same lines as making the car have a better sound, and maybe they like the look of it under the hood, I know I do.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Quote:

Hey, If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****. LOL. I think I heard that somewhere on here.

So it may be good to have a car that looks and sounds mean, but has everything stock as far as performance?

I guess the upside to that is keeping warranties. lol!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Hey, If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****. LOL. I think I heard that somewhere on here.

So it may be good to have a car that looks and sounds mean, but has everything stock as far as performance?

I guess the upside to that is keeping warranties. lol!
More people than you would think, just like to make it look and sound good, but have no real interest in ever tracking it or racing it, so adding a whole bunch of performance up grades, isn't really worth it to them. Of course I don't speak for everyone on this , as I don't have any real plans to ever race my car, yet I am going to put every upgrade on it I can, but their is nothing wrong with them either way if they so choose to just make it look and sound good. Personally I have no Idea what the OP plans to do with his car, so it's hard to make a real suggestion either way.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #17
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
More people than you would think, just like to make it look and sound good, but have no real interest in ever tracking it or racing it, so adding a whole bunch of performance up grades, isn't really worth it to them. Of course I don't speak for everyone on this , as I don't have any real plans to ever race my car, yet I am going to put every upgrade on it I can, but their is nothing wrong with them either way if they so choose to just make it look and sound good.

I hear ya. A GT/CS passed me on the way to Austin thinking I was "just another v6". To his surprise, I was right with him most of the way into the city. LOL. It's just one of those fun moments that come from modding and stuff.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I hear ya. A GT/CS passed me on the way to Austin thinking I was "just another v6". To his surprise, I was right with him most of the way into the city. LOL. It's just one of those fun moments that come from modding and stuff.
I totally understand that! My cousin just got a 2011 camaro SS, and even though it is going to be a while, my goal is to be able to put that thing in the dust.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #19
Kevin.Cook

I know someone with a 2011 Camaro SS also. I raced him before I started modding to see where I was at with just the stock Performance Package. Let's just say it didn't end very well....for me. LMAO!

But once I get a couple more small items, I want to have a rematch and see how far my little car has come.

I just realized this is waayyy off topic. LOL!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Yea that is the way we are, he wants me to race him before I started modding too heavily, to see where I stack up against it, then whenever I get more power we will do it again. He wants me to try and beat him, its our little game. He had a v6 camaro 2014, which is why I got mine, then he had to go and upgrade on me......
Old 06-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
OP, if you put one on for HP gains it's doubtful you will gain any so that is a reason not to. If you put one on for looks/sound those are good reasons to. I have an Airaid (bought used) for my V6 and the sound was the main reason and I'm happy with it.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

What Southern Cyclone said
We already have a CAI. Some say all the warts & bumps on the factory intake tube really do something. An Airaid CAI was my first "mod" Found in a very short time IATs were 40-50+ ambient in stop/go traffic. I sold it. Went with the aFE drop in dry (cleanable & reuseable) and the Airaid Modular Air Intake. Temps now pretty much equal to stock intake tube and still have a tad of intake "noise". Quality on both products is impressive, as for performance gains, don't think so. Key for me, if you change inlet diameter at the MAF, you will need a tune.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
CAI's are one of those mods that you can even purchase used. Put a new filter on it and it is a great addition. CAI, new exhaust system, will help when getting a dyno tune.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For the 11+ cars especailly, the factory air inlet is not restrictive. CAI is for looks only and this is backed up by multiple dyno tests an track times. There are guys on here with 5.0s in the low 11s on the factory airbox and paper filter. Spend your money elsewhere on something that will actually make your car faster.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For the 11+ cars especailly, the factory air inlet is not restrictive. CAI is for looks only and this is backed up by multiple dyno tests an track times. There are guys on here with 5.0s in the low 11s on the factory airbox and paper filter. Spend your money elsewhere on something that will actually make your car faster.
Remember yes and no. It's not just for "looks" depends on your build. This needs to be taking in also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Remember yes and no. It's not just for "looks" depends on your build. This needs to be taking in also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
But that's pretty much only if you have the Boss or Cobra Jet IM, or obviously if your FI.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Any reason not to just make your own, some pvc with as little a curve as possible, a K&N or airaid filter, and drill a hole in the pvc for the sensor. Tons of use did this for our grand prixs had no problems but those cars were 1997-2008. So not sure if computer dynamics have changed since then I just bough a 2014 vert in dec.
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post
Any reason not to just make your own, some pvc with as little a curve as possible, a K&N or airaid filter, and drill a hole in the pvc for the sensor. Tons of use did this for our grand prixs had no problems but those cars were 1997-2008. So not sure if computer dynamics have changed since then I just bough a 2014 vert in dec.
Yeah it'll look like meh and it won't gain you any power and you'll likely need a tune for it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #29
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Scottys got a good answer about the may need a tune part, it would suck if your engine started running lean due to increased air flow that the car doesn't know is there. You will see in pre-fabbed unit some mention "tune required" others say "no tune required".

I would think it looked cool but admit to being proud of home-made
Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So OP ill just add my 2 cents from my current v6. Just a fenderwell cai had no difference from the stock unit. Just could hear it suck in air. Today i added a bama 93 octane tune where i had them consider the cai and exhaust. Wow the difference is night and day. So my opinion is dont do one without the other

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
So OP ill just add my 2 cents from my current v6. Just a fenderwell cai had no difference from the stock unit. Just could hear it suck in air. Today i added a bama 93 octane tune where i had them consider the cai and exhaust. Wow the difference is night and day. So my opinion is dont do one without the other
No, just do the tune. There is a reason you didn't feel anything till the tune.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, just do the tune. There is a reason you didn't feel anything till the tune.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
To me doesn't matter. It looks way cleaner then the stock airbox at least on a new edge.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

That I will agree with. Unless it is a SR or BBK unit, then it'll look good for 6 months and start pitting...

Old 09-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That I will agree with. Unless it is a SR or BBK unit, then it'll look good for 6 months and start pitting...
Its an SR unit i powder coated so i should be good to go hopefully ^^

carving corners like a boss

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Tags
cold air intake