Completely new to this.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Completely new to this....

Hello folks! Got a completely noob question here, seeing as how I have never done any sort of performance modification on any car ever, lol.

I see a lot of talk about people buying tuning kits for their car (like the Bama, for instance). I know when shopping for CAI, you can get them with a tuner.

My question is this: How does this work? What does tuning do, how does one do it, and is it something I can just do on my own, or do I need to take it to a shop?
suckerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Every non custom canned tune I've ever heard of is DIY. There is an OBD II (On Board Diagnostic) port under the steering wheel that mechanics now plug into and use to diagnose your car and to download updates to your car's computers.
The tunes plug in there and rewrite your car's code. For some tunes, you are going to need a laptop in order to make choices during the downloads, others come with a small screen handheld that does that.
Make sure you ask when you buy what you are going to need. The ones that come with their own handheld are usually a lot more expensive, by the way.
Also, ask your dealer what tuning your car is going to do to your warranty. Some will void it, most will not. But if you put a rod through the side of the block, with a really aggressive tune in your car, you may be asking for an out of pocket repair bill.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tune will change the shift points for autos. It can also remove the original rev and speed limiters. The tuner also makes it possible to adjust the parameters of just about everything like fan speed air to fuel ratio and such. Most tuners come with "canned tunes" which you could personally load yourself BUT it is much better to have custom tune done as each car is a little different as well as climate.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome, thank you. So if I were to buy an X4, for instance, Bama will provide a custom tune for my specific vehicle?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Depends some have a deal where you pay extra and you can get custom tunes for life or 3 tunes or what have you. Search around there are a lot of options and a lot of people have their preference

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

OK cool, thanks!
Old 07-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Since it looks like you have a 2015 car remember a tune will for the most part will void your powertrain warranty. Something to think about on a brand new car.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on what Grabber said....if MAY void a good bit of your wtty. Yes people love their tunes but it is not something I would do before my powertrain wtty is up. Others do it on day one.

slight derail: Grabber ya gonna come on the CT Cruise July 25th?

Connecticut Summer Cruise 2015

we've got over 10 signed up so far.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

OP forgot to mention a tune will re-write the computer program that controls your engine to increase the power output/responsiveness. But, Ford can tell it's been changed even if you go back to stock and they frown upon doing this.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerv View Post
That's awesome, thank you. So if I were to buy an X4, for instance, Bama will provide a custom tune for my specific vehicle?
If you buy from American Muscle, you get 3 Bama tunes and free revisions as long as the tunes are for the same vehicle.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
But you also get bamas terrible customer service. Go with mpt for tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

SO keeping in mind that I've never done this before, how does the process of tuning work? I assume I give my vehicle's info....then what? Will they just make up a couple of different tunes for me, or do I tell them what I'm looking for?

Then I assume I plug it into the OBD port and just press a button?

Sorry if this is all so basic, lol
Old 07-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
SO keeping in mind that I've never done this before, how does the process of tuning work? I assume I give my vehicle's info....then what? Will they just make up a couple of different tunes for me, or do I tell them what I'm looking for?

Then I assume I plug it into the OBD port and just press a button?

Sorry if this is all so basic, lol
Some companies can tune your stock car from the VIN. Others will ask for engine, trans, final gear ratio, any aftermarket products installed, etc.
You then tell them what octane you want to run, as there are tunes for each. Some even have economy tunes that decrease the power, but are supposed to increase mpg.
Yes, you plug the tuner into the OBD port, and start the install. As stated above, some will just download, some come with the hand held for the install, some use your laptop (fewer of those around now), and the most expensive involve dyno time where the new tune is specifically dialed in to your car for the max performance...... For each tune you consider, please ask each supplier about their install process.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I was like you........knew nothing. Get together with BAMA. They took me through the whole process. Very easy. They send you a questionnaire to fill out. And then they program the handheld tuner specificly to your car. A street tune and a race tune. Instructions that come with tuner walk you through loading it to your car. Any issues BAMA is only a phone call away. You'll love the difference!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I was like you........knew nothing. Get together with BAMA. They took me through the whole process. Very easy. They send you a questionnaire to fill out. And then they program the handheld tuner specificly to your car. A street tune and a race tune. Instructions that come with tuner walk you through loading it to your car. Any issues BAMA is only a phone call away. You'll love the difference!
Beautiful, thank you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert