15 second to headlight shutdown - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 AM   #1

Region: Colorado
Question 15 second to headlight shutdown

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang Coupe with a strange headlight problem. With the engine on the driver side headlight turns off 15 seconds after I switch them on. The headlights both stay on if the engine is off. I replaced the affected bulb, no difference. The passenger side bulb operates normally. I checked battery voltage at idle, 14.42 volts with both lights on, when driver side bulb goes out, voltage on battery goes up to 14.43 volts. The bulbs in the car were not new and I just replaced the driver's side bulb with a standard Sylvania H13/9008 to see if that was the problem. I'm stumped, any ideas?
JohnEngTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I'd check the connectors on the drivers side headlight for any "loose" type connections. Perhaps the vibration of the engine running is making a connector vibrate loose, or a wire to the headlight on the drivers side shake loose.

If you turn the headlights on with the key turned to start (but without the engine running), does it do the same thing (drivers side headlight turn off)?

Do you perhaps have an aftermarket alarm system that makes the lights flash when activated?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #3

15 seconds to shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'd check the connectors on the drivers side headlight for any "loose" type connections. Perhaps the vibration of the engine running is making a connector vibrate loose, or a wire to the headlight on the drivers side shake loose.

If you turn the headlights on with the key turned to start (but without the engine running), does it do the same thing (drivers side headlight turn off)?

Do you perhaps have an aftermarket alarm system that makes the lights flash when activated?

Hi,
Thanks for the help. The car is completely stock with factory alarm. I have timed how long it takes from turning on the light switch until the driver side headlight turns off. It is always 15 seconds. That makes me think it some kind of circuit breaker or relay. I read another thread where someone was having the same problem on the opposite side, but his was due to higher wattage bulbs. He used aftermarket HID bulbs. Possibly causing more current in the circuit, but why only one bulb? It's too weird!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Do the 2005 Mustangs have an accessory delay like the later ones do?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you didn't mention it but drivers voltage goes to 0?

it'll be ugly but swap assemblies (leave them hanging) to see if it's the unit or something else. You also may have a problem with the connector which is not bad to replace. High voltage drop across it can cause heat issues. what happens with just parking lights? High/Low beam? You said one new bulb....have you swapped bulbs with the other side?

no matter what I'd like to know this is interesting...
Old 07-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #6

15 seconds to shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you didn't mention it but drivers voltage goes to 0?

it'll be ugly but swap assemblies (leave them hanging) to see if it's the unit or something else. You also may have a problem with the connector which is not bad to replace. High voltage drop across it can cause heat issues. what happens with just parking lights? High/Low beam? You said one new bulb....have you swapped bulbs with the other side?

no matter what I'd like to know this is interesting...
Ok so yes the voltage goes to zero when the headlight bulb goes out.
Only swapped out the bulb on the affected side.
Unable to find a time delay relay in the Haynes diagram P 12-34
The high beam works fine engine off or on. Course driving around on the high beams is gonna annoy some folks.
I've been looking at the headlight wiring diagram in the Haynes Manual and I see relays for high beams and another for the fog lights, but not for the low beams. The headlight switch routes to the "Smart Junction Box", then from there to the multifunction switch (high/low beam selector) then to then back to the SMJ and out to the headlamps. From the headlamps to the bussed electrical center, after that the two wiring paths rejoin to ground.
So the current is supplied separately from the SMJ to each headlamp, through the lamps, to the Bussed Electrical center, then recombine after prior to ground.
So, does anybody know where the not so Smart Junction Box might be located? I want to see if the outbound white wire is still hot when it exits the SMJ.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:31 AM   #7

15 seconds to shutdown

Ok I located the SMJ. It is located behind the Right side Kick Panel. It does appear to contain at least one relay. I will have to remove the kick panel to get at it.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEngTech View Post
Ok I located the SMJ. It is located behind the Right side Kick Panel. It does appear to contain at least one relay. I will have to remove the kick panel to get at it.
Happy hunting. I wonder if there are two time delay relays in the SJB--one for each headlight--and one has failed. Alternatively, there may be a single DPST time delay relay for both headlamps and the contacts for one pole have frozen in the "off" position.

I doubt it's a fuse issue, as at least in my '13, the accessory delay is on a single fuse (ask me how I know). So if that were blown, I'd expect neither headlamp to stay on.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert