Gas Leak! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Region: California
Gas Leak!

Hello.

I see questions like this a lot, but I wanted to post with pictures in order to be able to cut down on the amount of solutions it "could" require. I just recently started smelling unburned gasoline while driving and sitting in my car. Other helpful posts here have led me to the rear passenger side of the vehicle near the gas tank. Upon investigating thoroughly, I found the plastic casing to the pipe that I think is the filler neck coated in fresh gasoline. It appears to be a very slow drip, but my car is burning gas like no tomorrow. So I assume I'm losing a lot of fumes. Which in theory causes me to lose a lot of mileage. I drive thirty five miles a day in a V8 and gas ain't cheap. I want to know what I should look at first and what I need to spend money on to try and solve the most likely problem. I will post a picture in case I nerfed up the part I assume we're talking about. Also if it helps, last week I tried to fill up at the gas station and a ton of gasoline poured out all over the ground from beneath the car. I have read that Mustangs have their overflow beneath the car to protect the car's paint. Could that have anything to do with this though? Any help with this would be much appreciated.
mlamkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Yes, pictures please! So you're saying that when you filled up at the gas station, fuel was gushing out of the overflow hose under the car? How much actually made it into the tank?

And not to be insulting, I'm assuming you made sure you had the nozzle from the pump fully inserted into the filler neck? I don't know which year Mustang you have, but definitely sounds like something is borked up with the filler neck or "capless fuel filler" system (if you have a newer 'stang).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Sorry I meant to mention its a 2001 GT Convertible. I can't get pictures to work on this from my phone. But whatever it is its leaking down the pipe. Should I try the grommet first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Here it is. And yes I had the nozzle where it's supposed to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	186683  
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

Just found out that little bolt you see is soaked in gas. So I have no worldly clue what the issue could be.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
^ It's probably dripping there from the grommet or somewhere else on the filler neck.

Maybe a silly suggestion, but can you get a friend to stick his or her head under there while you're filling to try to pinpoint the leak? My guess is some rubber or plastic bit has aged and cracked.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

So the grommet goes under that little lip, right above that bolt?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

One of the emissions hoses is disconnected from your filler neck.

The fuel is either leaking from that hose in between the filler neck and the gas tank, or from the rubber grommet, in the side of the gas tank that the filler neck tube fits into. Maybe both!
It looks like someone may have removed the fuel tank to replace the pump, and didn't do a proper job during the reassembly.

If your Check Engine Light is on, or comes on in the near future, it is likely due to that hose being disconnected from the filler neck.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #9

Which hose is disconnected? Is it something you can identify from this picture? If so, which one am I looking at?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's the black tube in the far right of the picture. There should be a hose connecting that to the filler neck.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Disregard that.
I looked at the picture again and that tube is connected. I couldn't see the hose in the picture.
It looks like that flexible plastic filler hose is leaking but honestly, there shouldn't be any gas in that part of the filler unless you are trying to"top off" the tank when you are filling up. That is the part that the gas backs up into when the tank is over filled.

The rubber grommet on the side of the fuel tank is the most common place to get a leak.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 AM   #12

This is all a huge help. THANK YOU!!! Also, I took this photo just now. At this new angle you can see a rubber ring disconnected and just hanging on the pipe. Is this the grommet I keep reading about? If so holy hell I need a new one ASAP!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:12 AM   #13

This one....

Sorry it's sideways :-/

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	186688
Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I can't see any fuel leaking in that dark picture but that grommet is definitely shot!
Lol
Old 07-08-2015, 02:34 AM   #15

It's not currently leaking because it only seems to do so when I'm refueling or driving (causing the gasoline to swish around). No way to just pop it back in I presume? Even if there were I imagine it would just pop back out again like it did the first time. Also, I'm pretty sure this has to be the only problem, as the leak is pretty slow. Considering grommets are only about 20 bucks, and are relatively easy to install, I'd call this an overall win That is of course only if I'm right in assuming the grommet is the only problem I'm dealing with here.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

And that grommet is a pretty easy fix. There are some YouTube videos if you Google it.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:38 AM   #17

Thank you again for all of your support and confirmations. Without them I would just be guesstimating blindly.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Whenever I over fill my tank, I get a fuel smell inside the car for about 20 minutes.
It doesn't take much for it to backup into the overflow.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 AM   #19

Thanks for the heads up. It will help me not freak out if I overfill after I fix the grommet.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamkins View Post
Thank you again for all of your support and confirmations. Without them I would just be guesstimating blindly.
No problem!
Good luck getting it fixed!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert