2006 Mustang random starter issues - Video included - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 AM   #1

Region: Oregon
2006 Mustang random starter issues - Video included

Hello! I need some advice for the problem that I'm having with my 2006. It usually happens once a month - I go to start my car and it just won't turn over. It makes a little click and sad noise, and it won't start. The lights and everything else come on, but it doesn't start until the 4th or even the 20th time. It stopped happening for about 5 months, and now its happening again.

I replaced the battery, and the dealership is unable to replicate the issue so they cannot find the problem. Has anyone else had this, or do you have any advice? This is so frustrating :/

Here is the video from today: (Car finally starts at 1:33)

mustanglindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I couldn't tell when it was happening but when you put the key into the crank position is that when all the dash lights go off? If so I would look at battery cables and connections to ground.

If when you put the key into crank position and nothing happens (but lights stay on) you are going to need to check voltage to starter solenoid.

Intermittent problems are a nightmare...good luck
Old 08-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
When instrument lights go off with the key in crank, does ALL the electrical stuff die too (headlights, radio, etc.)?

If so, in addition to Mud's great suggestion, I might look at the ignition system too.

Might also be worth peeking into the fuse boxes and making sure all the fuses and relays are fully seated in their sockets. You might get lucky and find something.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Also is it std or aouto? If stick shift clutch safety switch, auto neutral safety switch. try pressing releasing the clutch or putting it in neutral/park if auto

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Tags
2006 mustang