Replacing 2012 front parking/turn signal incandescent bulbs with LEDs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Region: Georgia
Replacing 2012 front parking/turn signal incandescent bulbs with LEDs

Does anybody have any experience with replacing the #3457 incandescent front parking/turn signal bulbs with LED equivalent bulbs on their 2011-2014 Mustangs? I’d like to do this with my 2012. I love the “instant-on, instant-off” look of the stock LED taillights and I’d like to have that look from the front. Is it just as simple as replacing the bulbs, or does the flasher relay (or anything else) need to be changed for it to work? I’ve been reading stuff about having to add resistors and I’m finding that a little confusing. Since the 2012 already has rear LEDs, do I even need to deal with resistors for the front lamps? Is what I’m wanting to do even worth the trouble? Thanks! -Cheers, Jeff

Jessica
2012 V6 Premium in Race Red, 6-speed manual w/ Pony Package
Stymyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You talking about the side markers? I just got smoked lenses and thinking about white LEDs but heard about the hyper blinking that happens when you don't put a resistor.
I'd also like to know about the led swap.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #3

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
You talking about the side markers? I just got smoked lenses and thinking about white LEDs but heard about the hyper blinking that happens when you don't put a resistor.
I'd also like to know about the led swap.
No, actually I'm talking about the parking/turn signal lights, the ones right next to the headlamps, not the side markers.

Jessica
2012 V6 Premium in Race Red, 6-speed manual w/ Pony Package
Stymyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

To be honest I dont think the stock NON-HID headlight housing are strong enough to with stand LED heat and power but I have no idea. I would think they may melt the housing or harness. Just be careful on the decision.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I currently am running LED switch backs. This is when the parking light is white but when the turn signal is activated it blinks amber. As far as I know, this is the only time you need resistors(turn signals). But those are super easy to install. The LED's actually run cooler than the stock bulbs. Also if you are looking at the 3457 bulbs. Our socket is "standard". To connect the resistors, it's only two wires you need to tap into. Ground and turn signal. That's it.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
To be honest I dont think the stock NON-HID headlight housing are strong enough to with stand LED heat and power but I have no idea. I would think they may melt the housing or harness. Just be careful on the decision.
LED's are cooler & use less power FYI
SVOGT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know, must of just been a Mitsubishi thing when the so called "LED" bulb melted the housing and harness on my lancer. But that was a few years back so LED technology may have improved.

Thats why its good to ask questions!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Not sure if anyone responded back about this, but the answer is yes you have to install resistors, otherwise the system will think u have a burnt out bulb and blink fast( the led's take less power) u can't change the flasher because there isn't one, the computer controls it. The "blinker" sound is a micro speaker making the sound in behind the dash. I think the resistors are 6 ohm. Make sure u mount them so they can dissipate heat they produce and away from any plastic, etc. They get really HOT! Hope this helps.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert