Noob questions! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Noob questions!

Ok, so, I've done so much research and have many friends that are mechanics. I would like to know what performance upgrades to knock out first. I've been told to do this order:
1.) Gears
2.) Exhaust
3.) headers
4.) mid pipe
5.) CAI
6.) Tuner

Then eventually the supercharger! However, I've been told by many that, headers are more for sound vs performance along with CAI, mid pipes, etc., "they're a waste of money" and "they only make a difference if you have a whole exhaust system set up with headers, CAI, exhaust, and possibly even a throttle body." Seen so many videos where the "dyno" proves that CAI, throttle bodies, headers, etc. do not effect performance. So what's the real truth?

Is it a waste of money? What should my performance list consist of in order?

Thanks!
wong_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
You have heard a lot of dumb things quite frankly.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Tuner should be one of the first mods and no headers aren't just for sound.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
You have heard a lot of dumb things quite frankly.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Tuner should be one of the first mods and no headers aren't just for sound.

Thought so
That's why I came here, figured I can obtain some knowledge for myself! Thanks for the reply!(:
CAI a waste you think? If not, why are there car junkies on YouTube that try to prove them otherwise on the dyno?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cai waste of time and money. Do all the rest
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong_alexander View Post
Thought so
That's why I came here, figured I can obtain some knowledge for myself! Thanks for the reply!(:
CAI a waste you think? If not, why are there car junkies on YouTube that try to prove them otherwise on the dyno?
If you want one get one lol. I have one but it is something you can skip. What gears/transmission do you have? I would do exhaust and tune first personally

Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I agree that what you were told is not correct.

1. Depending on the ratio you currently have, this can be a good bang for your buck. Essentially trading top speed in each gear for acceleration.

2. Headers and mid pipe are part of the full exhaust system, so I'm going to assume this refers to catback. This is more for sound than performance. Some people will claim hp gains, but your biggest gains will come from changes upstream.

3. Long tube headers do in fact give you performance. There can be disagreement on short tube headers but they will not give as much gain. Both will change sound. Equal length headers usually beneficial relative to the stock exhaust manifolds, although the stock manifolds on the newer cars are pretty good.

4. Mid pipes will give performance gains because they reduce (hi flow cats) or eliminate (off road) the restriction caused by the stock cats. You will need a tune depending on what you do.

5. CAI is mostly for looks. You will see gains posted but most, if not all, of that is due to the tune.

6. Probably the first thing most people do.

On the newer cars, if you are going for performance gains, tune and mid pipe are good ones to tackle. Just plan ahead. If you are going to do long tube headers, you will need a shorter mid pipe. Shorties will fit fine. Gears are good if you want more acceleration outside of the perf gains.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Cai waste of time and money. Do all the rest
Hahaha I've heard many many times
Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want one get one lol. I have one but it is something you can skip. What gears/transmission do you have? I would do exhaust and tune first personally

Automatic/3.31

Now before anyone bashes on the auto... I bought it used, and it was the cheapest I could find at the time! Couldn't find a stick for that price!!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #9

Region: Colorado
Noob questions!

Quote:
Automatic/3.31

Now before anyone bashes on the auto... I bought it used, and it was the cheapest I could find at the time! Couldn't find a stick for that price!!

Nothing to bash buddy. The automatics are great in these cars especially with the 4.10 gears!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thebayareapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
I agree that what you were told is not correct.

1. Depending on the ratio you currently have, this can be a good bang for your buck. Essentially trading top speed in each gear for acceleration.

2. Headers and mid pipe are part of the full exhaust system, so I'm going to assume this refers to catback. This is more for sound than performance. Some people will claim hp gains, but your biggest gains will come from changes upstream.

3. Long tube headers do in fact give you performance. There can be disagreement on short tube headers but they will not give as much gain. Both will change sound. Equal length headers usually beneficial relative to the stock exhaust manifolds, although the stock manifolds on the newer cars are pretty good.

4. Mid pipes will give performance gains because they reduce (hi flow cats) or eliminate (off road) the restriction caused by the stock cats. You will need a tune depending on what you do.

5. CAI is mostly for looks. You will see gains posted but most, if not all, of that is due to the tune.

6. Probably the first thing most people do.

On the newer cars, if you are going for performance gains, tune and mid pipe are good ones to tackle. Just plan ahead. If you are going to do long tube headers, you will need a shorter mid pipe. Shorties will fit fine. Gears are good if you want more acceleration outside of the perf gains.

Thanks for the education! I know I want the full exhaust system, I already have cat backs but would like to trade my flow masters out for borlas! I really want new gears but once I found out that it cut off the top end speed I paused on it. But people are right, how often will I actually be topping out? I am also scared of MPG! I'm not a big freeway driver but I'll drive occasionally 2x a month up to my second job which totals about 160miles monthly (not including my other driving which consists of mainly city) My full time job commute is a joke though, maybe two miles?
Looks like a tuner and gears are my next go to!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayareapimp View Post
Nothing to bash buddy. The automatics are great in these cars especially with the 4.10 gears!!

Did you swap your gears? If so, was there a noticeable difference? And what was your MPG loss? Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Did you swap your gears? If so, was there a noticeable difference? And what was your MPG loss? Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it's is an absolute huge difference with an automatic . I mean night and freaking day! It accelerates so quick now. The only trade off is the tach will rev a little higher then normal on the highway. But really is not all that bad!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, it's is an absolute huge difference with an automatic . I mean night and freaking day! It accelerates so quick now. The only trade off is the tach will rev a little higher then normal on the highway. But really is not all that bad!

Thanks! I gotta try em now haha! I hear is changes your speed-o-meter? As in, it will no longer be accurate because it now adds miles faster than what a normal mile should be, is this true?
Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks! I gotta try em now haha! I hear is changes your speed-o-meter? As in, it will no longer be accurate because it now adds miles faster than what a normal mile should be, is this true?

Yes, that is true . Really easy fix to do with a tuner. Definitely do it with an automatic as shift points are done from the computer and if the speedo is off it can mess up ur tranny!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Thanks for the education! I know I want the full exhaust system, I already have cat backs but would like to trade my flow masters out for borlas! I really want new gears but once I found out that it cut off the top end speed I paused on it. But people are right, how often will I actually be topping out? I am also scared of MPG! I'm not a big freeway driver but I'll drive occasionally 2x a month up to my second job which totals about 160miles monthly (not including my other driving which consists of mainly city) My full time job commute is a joke though, maybe two miles?
Looks like a tuner and gears are my next go to!
You will probably never hit the top end speed so I wouldn't worry about that. A lot of people like 4.10s on an auto. You will feel a very significant change in acceleration but your cruising rpm will be up (less mpg). If you want to retain fuel economy closer to what you have you can go with 3.55s or 3.73s. I have never had an auto mustang so I would wait to see what others have to say. Honestly, if the majority of your driving is short distance, city driving, the effect on mpg will probably be more from your foot than the gears.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:

Here I made a video a few years back to show u highway speeds with 4.10 gears. Hope this helps buddy

http://youtu.be/zkdbsgugbhU

Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
You will probably never hit the top end speed so I wouldn't worry about that. A lot of people like 4.10s on an auto. You will feel a very significant change in acceleration but your cruising rpm will be up (less mpg). If you want to retain fuel economy closer to what you have you can go with 3.55s or 3.73s. I have never had an auto mustang so I would wait to see what others have to say. Honestly, if the majority of your driving is short distance, city driving, the effect on mpg will probably be more from your foot than the gears.

I know I want gears but debating hard in wether I want the 4.10 or 3.73s ):
Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If u do an exhaust then tune, or a tune then exhaust, ur gonna be one happy coyote owner also if you drive a lot on the highway, I would go with the 3.73's.

Oh and welcome, from the east bay California

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just love all the new mustang owners, they think you can add 3-4 items and then go to a supercharger. Wait until the OP finds out that will be close to another $6,000 just for the supercharger.

Your in California, so the Shorty's are legal, the long tubes are not. Illegal to run cat deletes (off-road) for you.

You have no suspension parts listed. Have to do something more to handle the extra horsepower. Oops there went more money and you still have the supercharger to pay for.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Just love all the new mustang owners, they think you can add 3-4 items and then go to a supercharger. Wait until the OP finds out that will be close to another $6,000 just for the supercharger.

Your in California, so the Shorty's are legal, the long tubes are not. Illegal to run cat deletes (off-road) for you.

You have no suspension parts listed. Have to do something more to handle the extra horsepower. Oops there went more money and you still have the supercharger to pay for.
not even close to thinking about the supercharger. I totally understand that it's not just bolting it on and calling it good. You still need to rebuild the bottom end. What I posed before was just very brief. Thanks for the input though
Old 10-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
If u do an exhaust then tune, or a tune then exhaust, ur gonna be one happy coyote owner also if you drive a lot on the highway, I would go with the 3.73's.

Oh and welcome, from the east bay California

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks man!(:
No not too much high way driving for me! So may go 4.10
Old 10-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here I made a video a few years back to show u highway speeds with 4.10 gears. Hope this helps buddy

Thanks for the video(:
It did really help, wasn't too bad, 80mph resting at like 2400 rpm. May have convinced me to go 4.10! Is a tune mecessary?

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks for the video(:
It did really help, wasn't too bad, 80mph resting at like 2400 rpm. May have convinced me to go 4.10! Is a tune necessary?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the video(:
It did really help, wasn't too bad, 80mph resting at like 2400 rpm. May have convinced me to go 4.10! Is a tune mecessary?

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Thanks for the video(:
It did really help, wasn't too bad, 80mph resting at like 2400 rpm. May have convinced me to go 4.10! Is a tune necessary?
You should tune with gears.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should tune with gears.

Figured, will that sync with the speed o meter and make it accurate? Or no?
Old 10-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Figured, will that sync with the speed o meter and make it accurate? Or no?
Yep

Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep

Ahhhhh!Interesting!
Loving forums lol, thanks man!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

That is what we are here for. One thing to think about is that video with 4.10 you watched was with a 5 speed transmission not a 6. With the newer auto the 3.73 seem to be more popular.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is what we are here for. One thing to think about is that video with 4.10 you watched was with a 5 speed transmission not a 6. With the newer auto the 3.73 seem to be more popular.

You recommending the 3.73? If so, will there be a noticeable difference vs 4.10?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

I wouldn't recommend one over the other. Just throwing out observations

Old 10-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
consensus definitley leads to 3.73's being best combo of top speed/accel
2013GTpremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know I want gears but debating hard in wether I want the 4.10 or 3.73s ):
Neither one will help if I have your details correct but just to varify what year is your car?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Automatic/3.31
Is your car a 2013-2014? If so either your mistaken on the gears or they were changed at some point from the factory ratio. GT/Autos don't come with 3.31's from the factory.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your car is a 2007 and I believe he owns a 2013-2014. So giving him advice on gears is not a fair comparison and frankly quite reckless.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Your car is a 2007 and I believe he owns a 2013-2014. So giving him advice on gears is not a fair comparison and frankly quite reckless.
Yes it's a 2013
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Talk to Grabber, he had a mildly bolted on 11-14 automatic GT going low 11s with the stock gears and stock air intake. You do not want to change the stock gears.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert