Staggered Set-up & Speedometer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Staggered Set-up & Speedometer

Has anyone tried F:265 & R:305 staggered set up on 20'' wheels? Is there significant understeering during cornering due to the 40mm difference between front and back?

Regarding speedometer difference, are there any damages to AUTOMATIC transmission/the car itself if speedometer reads 2-3 mph slower than actual speed after upsizing rear tires?

Thanks!
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyuhan View Post
Has anyone tried F:265 & R:305 staggered set up on 20'' wheels? Is there significant understeering during cornering due to the 40mm difference between front and back?

Regarding speedometer difference, are there any damages to AUTOMATIC transmission/the car itself if speedometer reads 2-3 mph slower than actual speed after upsizing rear tires?

Thanks!
Regarding speedometer difference - The typical allowable variation seems to be given as a % and I believe I've seen it as 2 to 3 %.
So if you're talking 2-3 mph difference at say 60 mph, that equates to 3.3-5% difference, which appears excessive.
Why not go to a wider rear wheel while maintain a closer matching diameter, by decreasing the profile ratio?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Regarding speedometer difference - The typical allowable variation seems to be given as a % and I believe I've seen it as 2 to 3 %.
So if you're talking 2-3 mph difference at say 60 mph, that equates to 3.3-5% difference, which appears excessive.
Why not go to a wider rear wheel while maintain a closer matching diameter, by decreasing the profile ratio?
Thanks for the reply man. I finally decided to go square set up to enhance corning control!

I will probably go with either Forgestar or Vossen FlowForm wheels.
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Good idea with going square. These cars need soft springs in back for the geometry to work correctly, so going narrow on front tire is a double serving of understeer. You could fix this with more rear bar, but why hobble the rear grip to accommodate a lack of front grip...
You can reflash the pcm to tell it the rear tire diameter (in terms of revs per mile). That will set your speedometer correctly. However, an offset in tire diameter will cause the already VERY buggy ABS module to do really exciting things at inopportune moments (abs will prematurely activate, increasing stopping distance).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert