Need more opinions on smell/smoke from exhaust. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need more opinions on smell/smoke from exhaust.

Ive had quite a few mustangs over the years (most being the Foxbody 5.0 but a few 4.6 cars) ive never had this happen. ive smelled this smell somewhere before but cant place why or what might be wrong.

It smokes on a cold start (doesnt do it every cold start but is happening with more frequency lately) sometimes is a little from tip of tailpipe and others it looks like im doing a burnout. either way it stops by time it gets up to running temp. when it does this the idle is very rough at first i thought water in gas (happens a lot in Missouri, water seeps into the underground gas tanks at gas stations.) but that is a VERY uncommon thing here in SoCal from what ive been told. i know smoke means either oil or coolant is burning in combustion chamber but it doesnt smell like oil (though with 160k+ on motor a lil burning oil isnt uncommon.) i keep very close tabs on my oil and coolant levels she goes through about 1qt of oil every 2months or so (depends on how hard she is driven.) and my coolant hasnt changed as far as i can tell (though it is a VERY ugly color, im betting someone mixed two types of coolant. i know one is redish orange and most others are green. the smell though is what gets me. ive never had a car that smokes smell like (im doing the best to try and think of everyday things that replicate the smell.) best i can come up with is a mix of Sharpie marker and White Board marker smell. It doesnt run hot, oil pressure stays nominal. no check engine light or any others for that matter (though on a unrelated topic the parking brake light comes on under heavy braking...?) i dont know what to do to pinpoint issue so i can fix it (or have it fixed if i cant do it myself) If someone has any DYI "tests" to atleast improve my chances of finding the issue please let me know. i appreciate any help!
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What color is the smoke?

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It was burning oil, found the problem. Rings and Valve Guides were bad. Did total rebuild, ported the head and intake while i was there, new clutch and flywheel. Currently on 448.8 miles of fresh build and running perfect. Here in about 50 miles going to change the oil and check filter/magnetic drain plug for any debris if none then new oil and filter and go do some mild playing for a while before any real aggressive driving happens.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glad you figured out the problem

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Congrats on getting it fixed and letting us know!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Tags
exhaust