Brake pads and K&N filter questions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Brake pads and K&N filter questions?

Recently purchased a 2014 GT/CS 6 spd, can I upgrade the pads to give me better braking power? The car stops fine, curious if a pad upgrade without touching the rotors and calipers would increase braking power? The car came with a cold air K&N kit (63-2578) K&N claims it adds 20 hp and 26 lbft of torque, does it really though? The factory air intake was designed by Ford engineers, aren't they better equipped than K&N designers?
TIA,
Scott
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You can definitely get upgraded pads without changing your rotors. As for the air filter adding 20 hp. I highly doubt it. I would bet closer to 3.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you can get better pads if you want to. Snowballs chance in Hell that CAI adds any power.

And watch out for today's snow!

-Scott

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

K&N supplies the cold air kit with a print out of the dyno pull and also says at the bottom, results will vary. Any recommendations regarding pads? Is ceramic better? Will ceramic harm the factory rotors?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanggtcs View Post
K&N supplies the cold air kit with a print out of the dyno pull and also says at the bottom, results will vary. Any recommendations regarding pads? Is ceramic better? Will ceramic harm the factory rotors?
Just remember K&N is in the business to sell parts. Their dyno pull was probably manipulated in some way. Wouldn't be the first time.

Look into the hawk pads.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Been checking out the Hawk brand, now it's a decision of going with Ferro-Carbon pads or Ceramic. My brother swears by Ceramic pads.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I use the dtc 70 and dtc 60. On track only. Very aggressive pad

Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanggtcs View Post
Been checking out the Hawk brand, now it's a decision of going with Ferro-Carbon pads or Ceramic. My brother swears by Ceramic pads.
Ceramic are a good all-around pad. But there is no one best pad for all purposes. The different types have their pros and cons.

Here's an old discussion comparing the Ferro-Carbon pads to the Ceramic.
Pads: Ferro-Carbon vs ceramic? - LS1TECH
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks again for the info Diehard, I'll probably go with ceramic and have already taken out the K&N kit and reinstalled the OEM stuff.

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #10

Region: California
I just installed a K&N filter on my Jeep Grand Cherokee with a HEMI engine and I can feel the additional power. But even better then that is the raw power sound that you hear when you punch it. That makes it worth every penny.
OMG, Slow Down Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG, Slow Down Jack View Post
I just installed a K&N filter on my Jeep Grand Cherokee with a HEMI engine and I can feel the additional power. But even better then that is the raw power sound that you hear when you punch it. That makes it worth every penny.
I believe it!
I just talked with two different Challenger hellcat owners at a car show. They both swear that there was a substantial increase in response and HP when replacing the stock intake filter with the K&N CAI system. But they're not Ford engines.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 View Post
I use the dtc 70 and dtc 60. On track only. Very aggressive pad

We typically use a combination of DTC 60 and HT10 on the TTC car.

I just tried my first set of G-Loc pads, and was VERY pleased with them. They were the R10 compound (which is very similar to the Carbotech XP10), just with better modulation and much better rotor wear characteristics (they are not the light switch that the Carbotechs are). It does help that the two engineers behind Carbotech are the guys who moved to create G-Loc.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Don't get the filter. Stick to OEM unless you change the intake and tune.
Better brake pads will definitely help, make sure you follow the bedding procedure for those brakes.
I wouldn't recommend going with a full race compound for a street car because the dust and noise can be pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't go with ceramic pads either, those are designed to be super low dust and noise and usually won't perform much better than stock. Hawk HPS 5.0 should be a nice improvement over stock.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
We typically use a combination of DTC 60 and HT10 on the TTC car.

I just tried my first set of G-Loc pads, and was VERY pleased with them. They were the R10 compound (which is very similar to the Carbotech XP10), just with better modulation and much better rotor wear characteristics (they are not the light switch that the Carbotechs are). It does help that the two engineers behind Carbotech are the guys who moved to create G-Loc.
I had heard about this also and had to track them down myself. I have been a Carbotech fan but more important a fan of Danny's. I will be switching to them also. I found their website, interesting info under the about - out story on their website. The site is G-LOC Brakes -
PonyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

I have the Hawk HPS pads on my car. Great initial bite, but they do fade and they are NOISY...to the point that if you drive on the street, people turn around and stare.

I'm planning to replace my front HPS pads with EBC Yellowstuff. I've had good success with EBC pads on my prior car and on a '69 Camaro I'm restoring (front disc brakes were a special feature back then...LOL).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My last set of HPS never made any noise (nor the HP+ now that I think about it).

Did you use the provided grease on the backing plate and on the pins? Also, did you follow the provided bed in procedures?

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
My last set of HPS never made any noise (nor the HP+ now that I think about it).

Did you use the provided grease on the backing plate and on the pins? Also, did you follow the provided bed in procedures?
To the letter. It's possible their grease washed out. I also notice they've groaned the most when cold--may have to do with the pad/rotor combo, maybe.

I notice others have found the Hawk HPS to be noisy, and Car and Driver also found that they're prone to pretty significant fade. C&D felt the EBC Yellowstuff was an overall better pad.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 07-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Did the front brake job today. Note to self for the future: don't do this when it's 90 out and about 85% humidity. Ugh.

Found that one of the caliper pins was stuck...looks like water got in, maybe from a nick in the boot. So maybe that was part of the noisiness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert