shocks struts when to replace - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
shocks struts when to replace

my car is a 2001 v6 ...the other day i looked at the underneath exspecially struts shocks. coil springs...i noticed a crap load of heavy rust on everything but the springs...it lookes. like it aint had new shocks and struts. in YEARS...RUST IS LIKE OMG!!...SCARED IT COULD CAUSE ME A LOT OF TROUBLE DOWN THE LINE...someone told me to put bilstien or konis on it..i refuse to pay that kind of money on shocks and struts...rediculous....the car does not need exspensive struts and shocks and springs...i cant even justify the price tag on some of these parts...crazy...even if it is tagged a sports car. guess ill go the cheap route and get the lowest costing stuff...any thoughts
ukwildcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Well, I'm sure you've heard the saying "you get what you pay for". Sadly this is true with car modding.

You can certainly purchase Monroes or another autoparts brand shocks/strut, but depending on their quality and your road conditions they might not last that long and you'll be in the same boat in a couple years or less.

Yes, there are very expensive options out there, but there are also more "budget friendly" name brand options. KYB has some options and Koni is having their big spring sale right now.
You can pick up a set of their STR.T shocks/struts for $329. That's roughly ~$80 per unit. If that's still high the KYB Gas A Just's run ~$250.

It's your car, and more importantly your wallet, but I would recommend spending a little bit more to get better quality products.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
There are places that you can take shortcuts and there are places you probably shouldn't.
In my personal book; tires, brakes, and suspension components are not things I take shortcuts with. At the very least, look at replacing them with OEM parts, although the front OEM parts look like $120 each and the rears $35 each give or take, so $310 for OEM replacements or $329 for Koni STR.T.... I know which way I would go...
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'll check it out..thanks. May just go with oem parts and say good enough...life for me is hard enough right now....without shelling out money for expensive parts I can't afford ...if your a healthy person who can work a good Job and make a good living then yes getting better parts is the way to go...but for me....it is not....i just have too many health problems...that's why i can't have a job.
ukwildcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert