Break Creak - 2011 Mustang V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Break Creak - 2011 Mustang V6

Hey Everyone,

I'm in need of some help. When the weather is warm my break(lines?) creak like mad.

Here is a video of the noise.

New OEM pads in front, brakes have been bleed and caliper clips had anti-seize applied. I've pulled all the guide pins and cleaned/re-lubed them with 3m rubber safe lube.

Creak remains. Any ideas?
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Any ideas? Could it be a cable? I'm not 100% sure how the entire break system works, but it sounds like a cable creak.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
have you tried lubing pedal pivot points?

it did sound louder outside so I doubt this will help.

did it start right after new pads? if so some lube on the back of them
someone outside the car with a length of hose as a stethoscope
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
did it start right after new pads? if so some lube on the back of them
someone outside the car with a length of hose as a stethoscope
My money's on this. I sometimes get almost the exact same sound with the Hawk HPS pads I put on my car, usually when the pads are cold. People say the Hawk pads are a bit noisier than stock, and they ain't wrong--this despite greasing the heck out of the backs of the pads, caliper slides, etc., during installation.

OP, regreasing as Mud suggests should help. Slather as much on there as you reasonably can without getting anything on the pad or rotor surfaces themselves.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for the help!

I greased? with anti-seize the pins that are on the top and bottom of the pads that separate the pads from sitting directly on the caliper.

Are you saying I should apply anti-seize directly to the back of the pad where the master cylinder pushes in etc.? Sounds easy enough if that's where I should put it. Is there something better than anti-seize to use for such a location?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Stang View Post
Thanks guys for the help!

I greased? with anti-seize the pins that are on the top and bottom of the pads that separate the pads from sitting directly on the caliper.

Are you saying I should apply anti-seize directly to the back of the pad where the master cylinder pushes in etc.? Sounds easy enough if that's where I should put it. Is there something better than anti-seize to use for such a location?
Yep! You want some grease on the back of the pad where it's going to touch the caliper piston(s). That should quiet 'em down.

For good measure, I also grease the little "ears" of the pads that engage in the slides cast into the caliper (there should be little smooth stainless pieces that snap into the slides--you can grease those too).

I used Sil-Glyde, but Never-Seez might be a better idea--I think the Sil-Glyde runs/washes out after a while. Whatever you use should be a high-temp grease, since the pads+calipers will get very toasty during braking.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I used brake quite and it worked for about 2 days, as in, noise. I finally gave up and lived with the noise. I just not put new pads on, but not OEM and the noise is gone. You were both right, the pads were the issue but because I did the brake quite stuff did want to deal with it any more after the noise came back, I left it. But this time with only doing different pads and no major grease or brake quite added, noise left and hasn't returned!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Tags
2011 mustang