2012 halogen to LED head lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Starkville
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 12
2012 halogen to LED head lights

Looking for input on changing out 2012 head light bulbs to higher quality LED s
How's the light output , beam pattern, any negatives about them. Thanks
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tampa Bay area
Region: Florida
Posts: 92
Only input I can give you is make sure they are legal in your state, they are not in Florida which is the only reason why I don't have them 😵
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheela View Post
Only input I can give you is make sure they are legal in your state, they are not in Florida which is the only reason why I don't have them 😵
Is there a reason listed as to why the LEDs are illegal? I'm curious.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tampa Bay area
Region: Florida
Posts: 92
It's not that specifically LEDs are illegal in that it's any modification of headlamps from the OEM is illegal, so even HID conversions are illegal too, but we don't have mandatory inspections here so it's more rolling the dice and getting pulled over for a non-moving violation.
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Starkville
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 12
MS. Don't have vehicle inspection . My main concern is the beam pattern & light output , I read putting LEDs in some "reflector housing" type headlights even the Low beam will still blind on coming traffic , now that can maybe get you a ticket.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheela View Post
It's not that specifically LEDs are illegal in that it's any modification of headlamps from the OEM is illegal, so even HID conversions are illegal too, but we don't have mandatory inspections here so it's more rolling the dice and getting pulled over for a non-moving violation.
I'm not sure I would consider LED bulbs to be a modification. That's just my opinion though.


Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
MS. Don't have vehicle inspection . My main concern is the beam pattern & light output , I read putting LEDs in some "reflector housing" type headlights even the Low beam will still blind on coming traffic , now that can maybe get you a ticket.
If the lights are aimed correctly you shouldn't have a problem. The light's reflective surfaces cannot bend light in a way due to a different bulb.

There is a flip side to that coin. If the LED bulb is taller, or if the light sends a beam at the reflector in a different angle than the OEM bulb you may see a different refraction of light.

With an LED bulb you will likely notice a cleaner light output that appears brighter. If the lights are adjusted properly you shouldn't have a problem with oncoming traffic.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Starkville
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 12
Update on the halogen to LED , installed the OPT 7
Flux-beam led's $99.00 pr. 2 year warranty fantastic beam pattern , very bright and white & not blinding anyone on low beam, but the Vertical adjustment is KEY . After pricing high end Halogens bulbs with there short life span it was a no brainer.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Update on the halogen to LED , installed the OPT 7
Flux-beam led's $99.00 pr. 2 year warranty fantastic beam pattern , very bright and white & not blinding anyone on low beam, but the Vertical adjustment is KEY . After pricing high end Halogens bulbs with there short life span it was a no brainer.
$99 sounds expensive for a set of bulbs, but you get what you pay for most of the time. Also consider the price for high end Sylvania bulbs; they are is a to adding up to the cost of LEDs.

I don't need bulbs at the moment, but when I do I will likely go with LEDs.



Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 V6 Halogen to OEM HID conversion Sakib 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 42 10-19-2014 05:57 PM
2011 Halogen Headlight to 2013 HID conversion... 2010GBGT 2011-2014 Mustang GT 15 04-13-2014 10:21 AM
Hid in halogen housing comporange Pictures and Videos 47 01-01-2014 01:24 PM
578 dome lights to 578 42mm led dome lights? Sluder4 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 03-10-2013 06:51 AM
Halogen to HID Ravnus 2011-2014 Mustang GT 17 04-20-2012 06:47 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:30 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.