Bama Tuner Computer Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Bama Tuner Computer Problem

I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the drivers/software to upload into my laptop.

Laugh if you would like. I am using a Windows 7 operating system (64bits).

The tuner is a Bama SCT S4/SF4, which I believe is also the X4.

I am using Firefox, following all of the download prompts, and finding the SCT Device Updater icon on my desktop. When I click the icon I am asked if I would like the program to make a cha he to the computer. The obvious answer is to click "Yes".

Once the button is clicked the screen blinks once and nothing happens. The program does not open.

I also downloaded the LiveLink for data logging. That program opens without a problem.

I have to be missing a simple step somewhere. Does anyone have an idea?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
First step, try uninstalling, then reinstall.

G x crSent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutionôh

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Try using internet explorer... My diablo sport tuner would not work unless used it. It was actually in the manual though.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Windows and SCT don't play nicely together. If all else fails call SCT and they'll update it for you remotely. Just make sure you've returned the car to stock and always save a backup file of your stock tune.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just getting around to reading the forum this morning. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm not sure why I did not do that last night. That should have been my first thought.

Grabber, why would I need to go back to stock with the tune? I'm asking because this is new to me. The tuner and the car are supposed to be married already as this is the tuner that was used to update the gear change.

At the moment I have no idea whay tune is or is not loaded. I am a bit nervous playing with it. The last thing I want to do is lock myself out of everything and disable the car.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Last night I did plug the handheld device into the OBDII out of curiosity. I did not change anything. What I saw on the screen concerning tunes confused me though. There were three custom tunes loaded that were all noted as "disabled". Does this mean the tunes are not being used, or not available?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Grabber, why would I need to go back to stock with the tune? I'm asking because this is new to me. The tuner and the car are supposed to be married already as this is the tuner that was used to update the gear change.
When you update the SCT tuner you run the risk of wiping out any of the tunes that have been saved on the device. With an aftermarket tune you generally have that saved in an email on your computer. But the stock tune wouldn't unless you saved a copy which most don't. That's why I posted you should save a copy of your stock tune as well since it is very easy to do. If you wipe out the stock tune and you don't have it backed up you have to have the dealer flash in a new strategy tune should you ever want to go back to stock. That strategy tune with a different computer code will be different than the one you gave your tuner. In laymans terms you can create a major headache that could have been avoided.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
When you update the SCT tuner you run the risk of wiping out any of the tunes that have been saved on the device. With an aftermarket tune you generally have that saved in an email on your computer. But the stock tune wouldn't unless you saved a copy which most don't. That's why I posted you should save a copy of your stock tune as well since it is very easy to do. If you wipe out the stock tune and you don't have it backed up you have to have the dealer flash in a new strategy tune should you ever want to go back to stock. That strategy tune with a different computer code will be different than the one you gave your tuner. In laymans terms you can create a major headache that could have been avoided.
Thank you. I needed that information.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

To be clear, before I do something wrong, I need to return the car to the factory settings. Then update the tuner. Once this is done, then I can reprogram the computer to compensate for the 3.73 gears and K&N drop in filter.

Am I correct?

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Measure twice, cut once 😀

Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There is no change needed for the drop in filter and you may not be able to make the changes needed for the gears. Bama like a lot of companies lock their tunes so you can't do that. They may have to send you a revision.

Only update the tuner if it is necessary which 90% of the time it isn't.

Did you have different gears installed thus the need to make a change in the tune?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you open the Device Manager, find SCT, tuner has to be plugged in to the computer, simply right click on it, open properties and tell it to automatically find drivers and windows will locate and load, it's that simple
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
There is no change needed for the drop in filter and you may not be able to make the changes needed for the gears. Bama like a lot of companies lock their tunes so you can't do that. They may have to send you a revision.

Only update the tuner if it is necessary which 90% of the time it isn't.

Did you have different gears installed thus the need to make a change in the tune?
The previous owner had the gears changed and the tuner installed to calibrate the speedometer.

I am not sure what else has been changed regarding the computer. I have to run 93 octane or I have mild spark knock under a load.

At the moment I am holding Pandora's box in my hands.

i would like to remove the PATS security, as well as experiment with some of the preloaded tunes the build sheet claims to have.

The owner transferred the tuner to me with the car. I'm not sure if the tunes for life apply with the tuner being married to the car and sold with the vehicle. It would be nice if that applies. The VIN is tied to the tuner's serial number. I have all of the previous owner's information also, so it may behave that transferred over to me without an issue. Hopefully that is an option I have open.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
If you open the Device Manager, find SCT, tuner has to be plugged in to the computer, simply right click on it, open properties and tell it to automatically find drivers and windows will locate and load, it's that simple
I tried that. The computer searched forever trying to locate the driver. At the moment I am going to leave the updates alone until I know more about the programmer.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mine gave me a hard time updating. For whatever reason it would not work on my Y700 unless I used the usb cable that came with it. Seems stupid, but it worked so who am I to question?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Mine gave me a hard time updating. For whatever reason it would not work on my Y700 unless I used the usb cable that came with it. Seems stupid, but it worked so who am I to question?

I have the original cables. I even have the original box everything was shipped in.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
yes Disabled means the tune is not downloaded into car & is available for use
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR HORSE View Post
yes Disabled means the tune is not downloaded into car & is available for use
Perfect! Now I can play with things. Hopefully I don't kill the computer.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Will the tuner give me options as to what I can adjust within the various tunes?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Before I load the race tune should I return the car to stock, or will the tuner retain the factory information? I may need to return to factory one day.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Lots. Of great advice above. Someone above did mention to call sct. They will work with you for an hour or so if necessary to help load a tune or help with software dataloging etc.
When in doubt call SCT
AcmeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeRocket View Post
Lots. Of great advice above. Someone above did mention to call sct. They will work with you for an hour or so if necessary to help load a tune or help with software dataloging etc.
When in doubt call SCT
I didn't have a chance to give SCT a call today. I am hoping to be free at some point tomorrow with time to call and learn as much as I possibly can.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

sct does say to restore car to stock before loading another tune , I dont always do that , never had a problem
Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sct does say to restore car to stock before loading another tune , I dont always do that , never had a problem
But is your factory tune still retained within the device?

I am going to use the SCT as a data logger for a few days. I am going to try and remember to post the data here and grab a few options on what I can adjust to optimize the car.

The data logging software and drivers loaded with no problems, so at the moment I am doing good.

I am used to using a laptop for tuning. I tuned my Hayabusa at the track according to sea level, barometric pressure, air temp, etc. I had everything data logged. Every run down the track for me was basically a real world dyno run.

The SCT tuner is new to me at the moment. I am also new to optimizing an engine that is not on the track. I don't have a reason for WOT on the street in a convertible. I do enjoy a few curves, red light launches, and fifth gear accelleration occasionally. I also like an an engine running at its absolute best. A bad running engine equals wasted fuel.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yes the factory tune is stored in the tuner when you use a custom tune
Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes the factory tune is stored in the tuner when you use a custom tune
Perfect, so I should be able to load the race tune and keep my 3.73s gear settings. Then I should be able to return to the 87 street tune with out losing the settings. Then if I ever need to go back to the factory settings what I need will still be available.

I am not able to use my computer at the moment with the tuner. The drivers are updated, but the software will not load. At the moment I have a tuner that is independent of my computer.

Hopefully I can call SCT sometime this week and they can tell me what I am doing wrong. In sure it is a simple setting that I am missing.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If Bama did the tunes you'll get more usability from the performance tune over the race tune. After extensive testing and data logging the race tune really made little difference over the stock tune for a daily driver. (*Unless going WOT from stoplight to stoplight). The performance tune gave the biggest improvement down low where the 2v needs the extra help, and some extra umph up top, vs focusing mainly on the top end.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
If Bama did the tunes you'll get more usability from the performance tune over the race tune. After extensive testing and data logging the race tune really made little difference over the stock tune for a daily driver. (*Unless going WOT from stoplight to stoplight). The performance tune gave the biggest improvement down low where the 2v needs the extra help, and some extra umph up top, vs focusing mainly on the top end.

That is good to know. Thank you for that.

I'm glad you're just over the river from me. If I don't learn what I need and feel comfortable, I may have to make a quick trip over the river.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Patiently waiting on Bama to reply back. My first email was basically answered with a generic FAQ referral.

I completely described my computer's connection issue. I have details that said I loaded the required drivers. I'm not sure why I would get a response that points me back to doing what I have already done.

Every now and then I wonder about the people sitting behind the keyboard in tech support and customer service.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the drivers/software to upload into my laptop.

Laugh if you would like. I am using a Windows 7 operating system (64bits).

The tuner is a Bama SCT S4/SF4, which I believe is also the X4.

I am using Firefox, following all of the download prompts, and finding the SCT Device Updater icon on my desktop. When I click the icon I am asked if I would like the program to make a cha he to the computer. The obvious answer is to click "Yes".

Once the button is clicked the screen blinks once and nothing happens. The program does not open.

I also downloaded the LiveLink for data logging. That program opens without a problem.

I have to be missing a simple step somewhere. Does anyone have an idea?

When I set this up on my Windows 10 Surface, I was missing a driver for the SCT tuner. Once I tracked that down and installed it, everything else synced up fine. You can confirm if the driver for the SCT tuner is properly installed by checking your Device Manager in Windows. Even thought you may have installed a driver, it may not be the correct one.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
When I set this up on my Windows 10 Surface, I was missing a driver for the SCT tuner. Once I tracked that down and installed it, everything else synced up fine. You can confirm if the driver for the SCT tuner is properly installed by checking your Device Manager in Windows. Even thought you may have installed a driver, it may not be the correct one.
I'm using a laptop with Win7. The first thing I did was go to Device Manager and update the drivers.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software.

Now the LiveLink GenII data logger is experiencing issues. I have also reinstalled that with no luck.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Datalog software error

One would think because I use computers all day long that I would understand how to handle a small communication issue.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Datalog software error

One would think because I use computers all day long that I would understand how to handle a small communication issue.

See the top right of that dialogue box: Microsoft .NET Framework - that's likely your issue. Go make sure your computer is fully patched (Windows Updates). If it is and you're still having issues, go download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=42642
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Im not computer savey , did you just get the tuner ? Didnt it come with tunes or are you trying to down load new tunes? Ive done it already & if I can do it Im sure you can , on my x4 with BAMA Tunes I can only change settings on stock tune , doesnt allowe me to change anything on their tunes, keep at it & good luck
Old 05-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
See the top right of that dialogue box: Microsoft .NET Framework - that's likely your issue. Go make sure your computer is fully patched (Windows Updates). If it is and you're still having issues, go download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=42642
I will take a look at that in a bit.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im not computer savey , did you just get the tuner ? Didnt it come with tunes or are you trying to down load new tunes? Ive done it already & if I can do it Im sure you can , on my x4 with BAMA Tunes I can only change settings on stock tune , doesnt allowe me to change anything on their tunes, keep at it & good luck
Yes, the tuner has tunes loaded. I want to be able to datalog and have new tunes written later.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert