Best oil to use - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Best oil to use

^ answer: Ford is stupid.
Read Scotty's post. Explains some of it.
We put 5w-30 in most of the Fords we work on. What I have in my Mustangs.

Respect the classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I have stayed away from Ford my entire life. It's hard to dislike a Mustang though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
They were trying to please the government with lower emissions and better gas mileage . Just politic crap. I would not run anything thinner than a 30wt if you race it or drive hard like Scotty said that 5w40 is hard to beat. Especially the Euro formulas.
1970Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #39

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Another fun fact, only the Mobil1 extended is a true full synthetic. Regular M1 is a blend technically and they get away with calling it full syn via a labeling loophole. Good news is the extended is the same price. I'm running M1 0w40 when I get the Mustang motor done.
That is a very misleading statement. There are group 3 conventional oils and there are synthetic oils that are manufactured starting with group 3 base stock. A group 3 synthetic is a vastly different product than a group 3 conventional oil and is vastly superior. The group 4 PAO base stock synthetics that the oil snobs like to refer to as true synthetics still comes out of the ground from dead dinosaurs. Depending on the target application Mobil sells Group 3 synthetic, Group 4 synthetic and a blend of group 3 and 4 synthetic. The primary advantage of the group 4 oils are extended drain intervals and that is why they are considered better. But you pay more for them Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a group 4 and typically cost $5 more in a 5qt container. Walmart gets $28 for extended performance and $22 or $23 for their other synthetics.

Calling any Mobil 1 or other group 3 synthetic a blend is a disservice to the oil because they are far superior to the oils marketed as a blend.

Another fun fact, it was originally Mobil that sued Castrol over calling their group 3 synthetic a full synthetic and lost the suit. The courts ruled that if the end product has essentially the same characteristics how you got there was not relevant.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

^Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Another fun fact, it was originally Mobil that sued Castrol over calling their group 3 synthetic a full synthetic and lost the suit. The courts ruled that if the end product has essentially the same characteristics how you got there was not relevant.
I did not know this! Oh, the irony!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to post something similar regarding Mobile 1 last night. I decided to leave the subject alone though. There wasn't enough of a discrepancy in my research to say anything different. I can only say that Mobile 1 in my opinion is a superior oil compared to its competitors.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
That is a very misleading statement. There are group 3 conventional oils and there are synthetic oils that are manufactured starting with group 3 base stock. A group 3 synthetic is a vastly different product than a group 3 conventional oil and is vastly superior. The group 4 PAO base stock synthetics that the oil snobs like to refer to as true synthetics still comes out of the ground from dead dinosaurs. Depending on the target application Mobil sells Group 3 synthetic, Group 4 synthetic and a blend of group 3 and 4 synthetic. The primary advantage of the group 4 oils are extended drain intervals and that is why they are considered better. But you pay more for them Mobil 1 Extended Performance is a group 4 and typically cost $5 more in a 5qt container. Walmart gets $28 for extended performance and $22 or $23 for their other synthetics.

Calling any Mobil 1 or other group 3 synthetic a blend is a disservice to the oil because they are far superior to the oils marketed as a blend.

My Wal Mart charges identical prices for regular M1 and M1 Extended. Amazon has 0w-40 Euro spec right now for $22/5qt tho.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My Wal Mart charges identical prices for regular M1 and M1 Extended. Amazon has 0w-40 Euro spec right now for $22/5qt tho.
What makes Euro spec oil special?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Euro specs are tougher than API and will be a true base 4 synthetic as the USA is the only country in the world where a base 3 can be labeled as a full synthetic AFIAK. Which is what dgc was talking about.

Its really not going to make a difference if you are changing every 3-5k miles but the Euro oil change intervals are insane and those guys do just fine. Also oil is holy balls expensive over there.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Euro syn specs.

Quote:
Euro specs are tougher than API and will be a true base 4 synthetic as the USA is the only country in the world where a base 3 can be labeled as a full synthetic AFIAK. Which is what dgc was talking about.

Its really not going to make a difference if you are changing every 3-5k miles but the Euro oil change intervals are insane and those guys do just fine. Also oil is holy balls expensive over there.
Double this statement , like he said the OCI oil change intervals for like BMW and VW is upwards of 18,000 Miles. HAY that is crazy aint it. 18k on an oil change with those 0w40 and 5w40 euro synthetics. They have alot more additives and are supposed to be the best top shelf SYN base stocks available. Now just for kicks and giggles I have heard testimony from some fleet mangers that the Chevron Delo 15w40 conventional oil has had 75,000 oci's with no problems actually has seen improvements with less wear and tear on internal parts such as bearings etc over other 15w40's and 5w40 synthetics in the diesel oil category. to me that one is even more harder to believe but there is facts out there to prove it supposedly.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Oil gurus

Old 05-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

well guess so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Oil gurus

Well this is the single most important investment for your Pony next to Auto Insurance
Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Now I am curious to know where additives such as Z Max stand in your opinion.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Now I am curious to know where additives such as Z Max stand in your opinion.

Snake oil.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Most additives are. I do always keep a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and a bottle of SeaFoam around. I can always find a use for those two.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Z max i have tried did not see to much if any improvement , the only one i can say worked good for me was "Risolene",lucas oil stabilzer,Hyper-lube,and STP for high mileage w/zddp. that i used on older engines with a lot of miles. more than 175k. My 98 f150 w/ 300k on it likes the STP high milege the best, put some in about every 2nd oil change. I think most of the stuff out there is a scam really. I know that the old "Slick 50" back in the day worked good on my 87 5.0 i had it really freed that engine up and gave it more power. But i tried it years ago and it is not the same anymore.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:28 AM   #52
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Z-Max works, but you have to continue to use it, and its not cheap. I ran it for awhile in a 2005 F150; I put over 235K on that truck, and to date, its still on the road, being driven by my nephew. I think the mileage on that truck is now at 270K.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I was going to post something similar regarding Mobile 1 last night. I decided to leave the subject alone though. There wasn't enough of a discrepancy in my research to say anything different. I can only say that Mobile 1 in my opinion is a superior oil compared to its competitors.
It's "Mobil 1" not "Mobile 1".

And to say it's far superior to it's competitors is false. I'll stack Amsoil up against it any day of the week.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #54
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

And to say it's far superior to it's competitors is false. I'll stack Amsoil up against it any day of the week.
The Euro formulas and the Extended stuff is more than enough for 99% of people out there but if you are spinning to 7500+ regularly... yeah Amsoil.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I won't say what brand of oil i use but, i do use 5w30 in my 2011 v6. Why? Because all the oil test i have read on the internet have all used 5w30. In the test they would say "on a very hot day the 30 weight would thin to a 20 weight oil".

This made me think, what would a 20 weight motor oil thin down to on a very hot day? I couldn't find an answer. This is why i use 5w30 motor oil
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
No oil is the best oil. Good weight reduction. LOL!!!!

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know how it's spelled. For some reason my phone has it programmed in autocorrect wrong. I haven't taken the time to correct it. Plus, I did not pay it that much attention.

I have always heard great things about Amsoil. I have never used it. I don't know anyone that has it readily available.

In that regard Mobil 1 (I corrected the spelling just for you) is superior to its competitors.

VP racing fuel is better than what I can buy at the pump. VP is not available at the pump. That makes VP irrelevant in my comparison of normal consumer products.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It's not that hard to find Amsoil. Just buy it off their site online. Heck even Amazon has it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Um... Yeah Amazon has it with Prime shipping. Also Amsoil has a distributor list on the website. Did you even look?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
My local Carquest stocks Amsoil. You might look into them.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I think the real question is this. Will car A's engine last longer with Amsoil compared to Car A using Mobil 1 extended performance?

I personally couldn't justify spending the money for Amsoil.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #62

Quote:

Euro spec oils are formulated for much longer drain intervals (15-20k miles) than typical API spec oils. Also, European car manufacturers are much more likely to develop a custom set of specs just for their vehicles.

Mobil1 Extended Performance is guaranteed for 15k miles but they immediately say if the car is under warranty to follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #63

Quote:

I heard Amzoil was starting to use group 3 base stock in some of their oils, if that is true then they are becoming just like everyone else.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I think the real question is this. Will car A's engine last longer with Amsoil compared to Car A using Mobil 1 extended performance?

Just a near stock 3.7
In almost every situation no.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #65
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Just a near stock 3.7

I won't try to argue with you about amsoil being better for your motor than another oil because there is no winning that argument.

But where amsoil will surpass a Mobil 1 extended is with the service intervals. If you do the math, changing your oil once a year or every 25k miles.

Now do I recommend changing your oil at 25k on a 5.0 that you take to the track ect? No. But if it's a daily, no reason you can't do a year or 15-20k

For me originally I was driving mine as a daily. Drove about 30k in a year. Only changed the oil twice. That's 2 gallons of oil x2. Plus 2 filters that's about 180 bucks. Had I followed the oil life meter I would have changed the oil at least 3 times possibly 4. No way you are getting 4 filters and 8 gallons of oil for 180 bucks unless it's not synthetic. Now ad the convenience of not having to change it those extra times. Well to me that's worth it. When I drained the oil after driving it 15k it wasn't even bad looking. That's why I run amsoil (on top of the fact it's a better oil but we won't debate about that).
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I won't try to argue with you about amsoil being better for your motor than another oil because there is no winning that argument.

But where amsoil will surpass a Mobil 1 extended is with the service intervals. If you do the math, changing your oil once a year or every 25k miles.

Now do I recommend changing your oil at 25k on a 5.0 that you take to the track ect? No. But if it's a daily, no reason you can't do a year or 15-20k

For me originally I was driving mine as a daily. Drove about 30k in a year. Only changed the oil twice. That's 2 gallons of oil x2. Plus 2 filters that's about 180 bucks. Had I followed the oil life meter I would have changed the oil at least 3 times possibly 4. No way you are getting 4 filters and 8 gallons of oil for 180 bucks unless it's not synthetic. Now ad the convenience of not having to change it those extra times. Well to me that's worth it. When I drained the oil after driving it 15k it wasn't even bad looking. That's why I run amsoil (on top of the fact it's a better oil but we won't debate about that).
Oil doesn't just lubricate, it also cleans. I will keep my 3000 mile oil changes.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Oil doesn't just lubricate, it also cleans. I will keep my 3000 mile oil changes.

That's a waste of money
Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
That's a waste of money
...and yet I put 300,000 miles on my Dodge. It pulled my 20 foot enclosed race trailer. It hauled trailers for my music equipment. It has hauled a John Deere 650 all over the place. I don't know how many cars were pulled behind the truck. My dad's bass boat was also towed to the lake for years.

Regular maintenance is a good thing. If the catalytic converter had not clogged the truck would still be on the road.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #69
Registered Member

Regular

It would have run just as long with oil changes done at longer service intervals on a full synthetic
Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #70
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yo what about Royal Purple? 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert