Best oil to use - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Yo what about Royal Purple? 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I am curious to know what is thought of Royal Purple. I don't use it, and don't plan to, but I am curious nonetheless.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I am curious to know what is thought of Royal Purple. I don't use it, and don't plan to, but I am curious nonetheless.

I run Royal purple in the motor and thier gear oil in the rear. 0 issues, oil changes look good at 3k intervals. A lot of people bad mouth it. But running it in all our vehicles, including the excursion and all the jeeps, which see rigorous off road duty, and one if the bikes, it performs brilliantly.

To each thier own. I used mobil 1 synthetic prior, and also no issues. I also use the Zmax every oil change, my money, my car, nay sayers can suck it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #73
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I run Royal purple in the motor and thier gear oil in the rear. 0 issues, oil changes look good at 3k intervals. A lot of people bad mouth it. But running it in all our vehicles, including the excursion and all the jeeps, which see rigorous off road duty, and one if the bikes, it performs brilliantly.

To each thier own. I used mobil 1 synthetic prior, and also no issues. I also use the Zmax every oil change, my money, my car, nay sayers can suck it!

Correct, you aren't hurting anything on your car, just flushing money down the toilet. Although you can't put a price on peace of mind.

RP is a good oil but massively massively overpriced. You can get Amsoil for their prices so I dunno why you wouldn't use Amsoil.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1463709014.241479.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	201188

Only way to go.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #75
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Attachment 201188

Only way to go.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
I remember you ran it, but I forget why exactly over Amsoil. Sponsorship or discount or just good luck through the years?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I remember you ran it, but I forget why exactly over Amsoil. Sponsorship or discount or just good luck through the years?

Just growing up local to them honestly. Have been using RP since my 03 cobra.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #77
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Attachment 201188

Only way to go.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
That is the same oil in my car. Being somewhat close to a RP track helps me sleep at night. You run their filter as well or something else?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Rp on sale at Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Hey just some FYI, some of the Walmarts in NC have it on sale or clearance right now for $21 for a 5 qt jug.
1970Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I won't try to argue with you about amsoil being better for your motor than another oil because there is no winning that argument.

But where amsoil will surpass a Mobil 1 extended is with the service intervals. If you do the math, changing your oil once a year or every 25k miles.

Now do I recommend changing your oil at 25k on a 5.0 that you take to the track ect? No. But if it's a daily, no reason you can't do a year or 15-20k

For me originally I was driving mine as a daily. Drove about 30k in a year. Only changed the oil twice. That's 2 gallons of oil x2. Plus 2 filters that's about 180 bucks. Had I followed the oil life meter I would have changed the oil at least 3 times possibly 4. No way you are getting 4 filters and 8 gallons of oil for 180 bucks unless it's not synthetic. Now ad the convenience of not having to change it those extra times. Well to me that's worth it. When I drained the oil after driving it 15k it wasn't even bad looking. That's why I run amsoil (on top of the fact it's a better oil but we won't debate about that).
Amsoil may very well be better oil than Mobil 1 extended performance. Matter of fact I'm going to concede that and even agree its better oil than Mobil 1 extended performance.

With that said, for the person who goes 8 to 10k miles a year and changes their oil once in that year, will Amsoil protect and make that engine last longer than say Mobil 1 extended performance?

I roughly go 8,500 miles per year. I have looked at Amsoil several times. Can you educate me on what added benefit my engine would get with Amsoil based on my millage compared to using say Mobil 1 extended performance?

I ask not as a wise guy but as being curious as to the real benefits and protection an oil like Amsoil is going to give for people who are not changing the oil every 25,000 miles.

Its not that I can't afford 6 quarts of Amsoil. I most certainly can but one can buy 6 quarts of Mobil 1 extended performance for $34 at Wally World compared to Amsoil at $60

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #80
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Amsoil may very well be better oil than Mobil 1 extended performance. Matter of fact I'm going to concede that and even agree its better oil than Mobil 1 extended performance.

With that said, for the person who goes 8 to 10k miles a year and changes their oil once in that year, will Amsoil protect and make that engine last longer than say Mobil 1 extended performance?

I roughly go 8,500 miles per year. I have looked at Amsoil several times. Can you educate me on what added benefit my engine would get with Amsoil based on my millage compared to using say Mobil 1 extended performance?

I ask not as a wise guy but as being curious as to the real benefits and protection an oil like Amsoil is going to give for people who are not changing the oil every 25,000 miles.

Its not that I can't afford 6 quarts of Amsoil. I most certainly can but one can buy 6 quarts of Mobil 1 extended performance for $34 at Wally World compared to Amsoil at $60

Just a near stock 3.7

If you are truly interested here is a good read. It's just an all around better oil. This is just one of the wear tests. Click the link and you will see all the other tests. By the way, if you become a preferred customer you save quite a bit on your orders. It usually only costs me about 25 bucks more than buying wal-mart oil.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1463727539.291461.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	201199

http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C...ile/index.html

These tests were all done third party. The results are pretty eye opening. I read through all of this stuff a few years ago when I made the switch. I have a friend who is an engineer and is super analytical. He turned me onto it and I will never use another oil after looking at all the benefits of using it. I plan on keeping my car forever. It is going to be a toy I have for the rest of my days. So I don't mind spending the extra coin up front (even though it still saves me money).
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you are truly interested here is a good read. It's just an all around better oil. This is just one of the wear tests. Click the link and you will see all the other tests. By the way, if you become a preferred customer you save quite a bit on your orders. It usually only costs me about 25 bucks more than buying wal-mart oil.

Attachment 201199

These tests were all done third party. The results are pretty eye opening. I read through all of this stuff a few years ago when I made the switch. I have a friend who is an engineer and is super analytical. He turned me onto it and I will never use another oil after looking at all the benefits of using it. I plan on keeping my car forever. It is going to be a toy I have for the rest of my days. So I don't mind spending the extra coin up front (even though it still saves me money).
Thanks sir,

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
My car gets Motorcraft synthetic blend. But it gets changed every 6 months which for me is about 2500 miles.
Same here.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #83
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is also Motul for anyone looking for a ridiculously good oil and Rotella T6 is great too. The Euro import turbo crowd swears by Motul.

I work with a guy who is an Amsoil preferred customer tho and he can get me real good prices on it. I'm probably going to break my engine in with Rotella and then switch to Amsoil TBTH after finding out he can get it for me cheapish and also because ****ing Mobil 1 Euro formula just changed their blend and lost a bunch of OEM certs from the European manufacturers.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
That is the same oil in my car. Being somewhat close to a RP track helps me sleep at night. You run their filter as well or something else?

Either the RP filter or K&N which ever one is in stock at the time

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #85
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I run Amsoil Signature in the stangs. $9.35/qt and changed every April. Wix filters.

Just swapped Focus to Schaeffer and will be having oil analyzed every 5k after this first round. Shooting for 30-35k between oil changes.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #86
Staff
Regular
Staff

Been banging around bobistheoilguy after finding out the M1 formula changed... Keep seeing Motul, Redline and Liquid Moly all getting superior ratings as well as Amsoil obviously. Royal Purple gets the lulz from the internet pplz but every actual report on it I see has it doing pretty damn well.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Been banging around bobistheoilguy after finding out the M1 formula changed... Keep seeing Motul, Redline and Liquid Moly all getting superior ratings as well as Amsoil obviously. Royal Purple gets the lulz from the internet pplz but every actual report on it I see has it doing pretty damn well.
How's Redline oil?

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is also Motul for anyone looking for a ridiculously good oil and Rotella T6 is great too. The Euro import turbo crowd swears by Motul.

I work with a guy who is an Amsoil preferred customer tho and he can get me real good prices on it. I'm probably going to break my engine in with Rotella and then switch to Amsoil TBTH after finding out he can get it for me cheapish and also because ****ing Mobil 1 Euro formula just changed their blend and lost a bunch of OEM certs from the European manufacturers.
What's the preferred customer price?

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Correct, you aren't hurting anything on your car, just flushing money down the toilet. Although you can't put a price on peace of mind.

RP is a good oil but massively massively overpriced. You can get Amsoil for their prices so I dunno why you wouldn't use Amsoil.
Because Amsoil isn't readily available near me. I don't particularly care to order it online either. I have no problem spending the extra money on the RP. If Amsoil was easily acquired here I wouldn't hesitate to try it though. There are just some things I won't buy online, groceries, clothes, and oil for example lol

Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #90
Staff
Regular
Staff

Why not oil online?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #91

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Attachment 201199

Interesting that you would take the least relevant test for motor oil from that article that puts Amsoil and Mobil 1 on opposite ends of the scale when the differences are much less dramatic for the other tests.

The 4 ball wear test is a gear lube test and has no significance to motor oil in the real world.

Something of interest to anyone that owns a car with direct injection and especially a turbo charged one such as the Ecoboost engines is Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI). This phenomenon occurs at low rpm high load situations where the mixture in the cylinder ignites spontaneously before the spark, it is very dangerous and can destroy an engine if allowed to happen often.

Why is this relevant to an oil discussion? Oil Manufacturers and the car manufacturers have found that calcium in the oil (which is used as an anti-wear additive) contributes to LSPI. Amsoil has some of the highest calcium content of any oil. Something to think about if you have an Ecoboost powered vehicle.

Something else to think about; I have owned 3 pickups over the past 35 years. The first one I put 368,000 miles on it when the bed rotted off and I gave it to my brother in-law for a woods runner, he drove it for another 2 years. My second one I put 256,000 miles on it when my son brought home from the dealership he was the service manager at adeal on a pickup I couldn't refuse. I still have this truck 18 years latter with 200,000 miles on it. None of these vehicles ever had an internal engine failure and the oil was changed on 5k intervals with whatever conventional oil that was on sale.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #92
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Interesting that you would take the least relevant test for motor oil from that article that puts Amsoil and Mobil 1 on opposite ends of the scale when the differences are much less dramatic for the other tests.

The 4 ball wear test is a gear lube test and has no significance to motor oil in the real world.

Something of interest to anyone that owns a car with direct injection and especially a turbo charged one such as the Ecoboost engines is Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI). This phenomenon occurs at low rpm high load situations where the mixture in the cylinder ignites spontaneously before the spark, it is very dangerous and can destroy an engine if allowed to happen often.

Why is this relevant to an oil discussion? Oil Manufacturers and the car manufacturers have found that calcium in the oil (which is used as an anti-wear additive) contributes to LSPI. Amsoil has some of the highest calcium content of any oil. Something to think about if you have an Ecoboost powered vehicle.

Something else to think about; I have owned 3 pickups over the past 35 years. The first one I put 368,000 miles on it when the bed rotted off and I gave it to my brother in-law for a woods runner, he drove it for another 2 years. My second one I put 256,000 miles on it when my son brought home from the dealership he was the service manager at adeal on a pickup I couldn't refuse. I still have this truck 18 years latter with 200,000 miles on it. None of these vehicles ever had an internal engine failure and the oil was changed on 5k intervals with whatever conventional oil that was on sale.

Dave

You have uncovered my evil plot to market amsoil and make myself a billionaire at Konas expense! Damn you!
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have uncovered my evil plot to market amsoil and make myself a billionaire at Konas expense! Damn you!

Just a near stock 3.7
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1463783702149.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	201219  
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #94
Staff
Regular
Staff

Unbeknownst to many, the Base/Post Exchange sells RP. Having a bigass sale right now too. I may go stock up. $6 for loose quarts or $25 for 5 gallon jug. No tax either. They only sell Fram filters tho ftl... Conveniently there is a Napa right outside the gate which will have Wix.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1463858472937.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	201266   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463858486930.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	201267  

Old 05-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Check your local Wally World as we'll. the ones around here have it for $18.99 for 5qt jug. But the best deal Rgt now us Napa, they have there full synthetic which is the same as Valvoline Synpower for $2.99 qt until next weekend . I have used it in some of my trucks and a honda and it works good .
Old 05-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #96
Staff
Regular
Staff

**** I may have to brave Wal Mart... I'm going to Tractor Supply today and there is one right across the street. I can drive by the Napa too. Although Synpower I would not run in any performance engine or something I really really wanted to last forever.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

You know tractor supply has Penzoil on sale too. But what's everybody's take in the "Best Dino Oil" (conventional oil)?? I say probably Penzoil ,Havoline,Castrol?? What you guys say????
Old 05-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #98
Staff
Regular
Staff

Best dino oil is whatever is on sale. I never run less than a blend unless breaking in tho and then its a high zinc content diesel conventional.

For my DDs I get a $15 per whatever on sale blend from Amazon Prime. Delivered right to the door. The filter is def important tho. You want a Motorcraft at minimum.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #99
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I was considering Motul. I'm guessing we want the "Motul Specific" line?
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Just got done changing her with the good stuff

Just a near stock 3.7
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1464116952735.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	201482  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 AM   #101
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Let's remember the rules of this forum folks....stays on subject. If you don't contribute to the subject at hand, move on. No jokes, no hijacking of other topics allowed.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #102
Supporter

Just changed the oil and filter again. RP 5w-30
Almost did coolant but Oreily's didn't have it in grape flavor.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Just changed the oil and filter again. RP 5w-30
Almost did coolant but Oreily's didn't have it in grape flavor.
Buy the orange and mix it with Everclear. You will never taste a difference, and after a gallon jug you won't care.

Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert