2003 V6 Lag in acceleration? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
2003 V6 Lag in acceleration?

Hello, I'm new to this site and could use some help spinning off some ideas. I try to all the work I can my self unless it's a big problem. I work at an AutoPlus, parts are not a problem. My v6 has just hit 190,000 miles I bought it at about 148,000 miles. This started about a week Just recently in the past few days or so and it's gotten worse I feel like I'm receiving lag when accelerating from stop or just slowly accelerating while I'm cruising around 1000 rpms to 2000 rpms if I floor the gas no lag at all... I've had the torque converter, rear main seal replaced in the trans around 150,000 miles. The trans fluid replaced around that time as well. I bought a cold air intake from bbk and put it on around 155,000 miles went to work today and got k&n recharge kit followed the instructions even got some gum cutter cleaned the cai itself. Put it all back together going to work an hour later same problem. I never did a chip or anything but I've had this set up for over 30,000 miles no issues? Any idea what it could be I've read anything from an o2 sensor, to chip it, to replace throttle body, to fuel filter?

Please help also another issue no idea if it's related when I'm going from stop to accelerate its automatic so I can't tell what gear but around 35 miles per hour it will get stuck and not want to go down In rpms unless I punch the gas or let off for a little.. This issue started about 4 months ago

When I say lag I mean actual lag like you experience in a video game kind of feeling. Slowly push on gas pedal car feels like it's moving backwards and forwards while accelerating slowly if I floor it can't feel anything wrong

Also I filled the tank and added Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it

Plugs and wires replaced at 150,000 miles due to misfire.
Jessej1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #2

It's now starting to make like a popping noise here and there getting more frequent someone please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Not for the same motor but the same procedure https://youtu.be/JPNnHU6PYbo
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The popping sound could be the front strut mounts but could be a lot of other things too
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Have you done a fuel filter on it at all? Lack of fuel can cause bucking and surging at low throttle.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Well, I changed all of my spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body, changed the wires and it has almost all but gone away the last thing I will do is the fuel filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert