Not sure about '01 mustang convert as first car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Not sure about '01 mustang convert as first car

I''m thinking about buying an '01 convertible with 56,000 miles on it. They are asking $5900 for it which i think is expensive but it doesn't have that many miles on it. Also this will be my first car and i want to make sure that it is a nice one. It also is a v6 not a gt. Is this a good deal and/or first car?
dkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If the car is in perfect shape I would offer $4000 at the most.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's 15 years old. IMO, it's a great first car. The V6 is decent. Easy to work on. I'd take it and have it checked by a competent mechanic to find out if there are any glaring issues that need to be addressed. Tires, brakes, exhaust, etc. Use that as a bargaining chip to get the price down. Ask for the maintenance history. Does it have a clean title? Is it the original top? Manual or automatic? Need more info to give advise on the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

I plan on taking it to a mechanic to check it out. Original top, original miles on car, automatic, no accidents 3 owners, never been in snow, and there are about 60 pics online it looks nice.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Its looks really good. As others have said I would take it to a mechanic to be sure everything is alright. Do you know how far apart the last to owners have had the vehicle? Also dont forget about Carfax its not perfect but can help.
Slick953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Looks in really good shape.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

my bad the price is $5600 but yeah it looks nice i just don't know what i should offer him. Its not at a dealer he's a private seller. I'm not sure how long this owner has had the car though. I looked on kelly blue book and if its in perfect condition it says its worth 4200
Old 07-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

People always start high because there uses sucker born every day. Lol. Make an offer offer you check it out. It's better to spend a hundred bucks for an hours worth of a mechanics time now then to spend a lot more once you buy it and find out something needs to be fixed. It is low mileage though so it should not have any major issues.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
^^ What he said.

Theres various ways you can handle this:

You can be direct and let me know your interested but only if he's willing to come down on price , you can ask him how much he's willing to come down, you can show him or let me know you've seen similar cars priced lower and blue books priced it at $4200. Say a combination of the above and see what he says.

If it's as you say the car's value at $4200, I would tell him $3500 cash and that's if everything checks out with your mechanic. He may balk or he may accept.

Oh about the driver thing you could always ask him how long he's had the car and why he selling. Or carfax the car yourself or see if he has one.
Slick953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert