Engine Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Region: New York
Engine Swap

I live in the Huntington area on Long Island and I am contemplating doing an engine swap. I have a 1998 V6 mustang that snapped a rod and blew a hole in the oil pan so I ripped out the engine and I currently have a 1996 Lincoln Mark 8 sitting in my driveway as well. I want to swap the Mark 8 engine into the Mustang but I don't exactly have the experience to do it all myself nor all the correct tools so I am looking for possible advice and maybe someone locally who would maybe want to assist me. I don't need the "get a v8 instead" posts because I also own a 2000 GT. This project is solely for fun and to have a sleeper/track car and to gain some experience
plack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #2

I also have the V6 to part out if that turns out to be a better option for me because I need money

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There's a lot more to it than you think, your better off selling both cars and buying a used gt or a new one.

I just swapped my 4.0l mustang to a 5.4l. You have to remember, motor mounts, trans mounts, wiring harness, transmission, shifter, driveshaft, misc bolts nuts and if you want a/c and all the other bits and pices. I'm not saying it's not rewarding doing it, because it really is. There's a whole lot to it. You need to start with not just a doner car but at least a similar car to get the swap from...such as mustang gt to mustang lx.

Pcm, ecu fuel pump...gosh the list goes on and on. Just get a gt. I hate being the nay sayer but I'm just giving you wise advice.

https://youtu.be/xzmQQIv2eTU here's a video of the fun you can have if you end up blowing 8k on a nice swap and your time.
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:45 AM   #4

As I stated I already have a 2000 GT so this was just going to be for fun and too help me learn. I am decently educated in cars but only to a point and I'd love to expand my knowledge so I thought this would be a good experience. That's really my main reason for wanting to
Old 10-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
One thing I would think about before starting is try and anticipate the total cost of what exactly is needed since you don't have a donner car. Although you have the engine and trans I would think about mounts and accessories, if you will need new suspension to support a v8, etc. I've helped a few friends with swaps and it was these little things they didn't consider that added up and ended up being a major cost to the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert